Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SLS - On the Scent of Inevitable Capitulation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed my order for Escaping Gravity: My Quest to Transform NASA and Launch a New Space Age, by Lori Garver. It promises to dish out a lot of dirt.

I think the way SLS ends is not with a whimper of cancellation but with an inferno of outright scandal. I mean, congressional hearings, prosecutions, mass outrage, the works. The whole program has slipped under the radar of news media for years, and never entered the consciousness of the general public, and there's a tendency to assume it'll always be that way. I think at some point the whole subject could explode into the "news cycle" and generate the kind of outrage with the general public that those of us actually following it have been feeling for years.

Right now we have a bit of a horse race shaping up between SLS and Starship, to see which one reaches orbit first. And everybody loves a horse race. But it doesn't matter which one wins. Because even if SLS is first, Starship will be second. . . and third. . . and fourth. . . and fifth. . . In fact, Starship has 18 flight slated before SLS's second flight. And if it actually happens that way, then it becomes impossible to ignore any longer. Then, finally, there's going to be pressure to explain why NASA spent tens of billions on a rocket that's obsolete before even flying and would be too expensive and cumbersome to operate (in any genuinely useful way) even if it had been free. And that is scandal material, not something that can just be swept under the rug.

Eric Berger writes “ The SLS rocket finally has a believable launch date, and it’s soon”

While the August 29 launch date is not firm, we can have far more confidence in it than any previous launch windows NASA has set for the Artemis I mission. All of the major prelaunch tests have been completed, and the vehicle is technically ready to fly. The next major decision point will come in mid-August, when NASA makes the decision to roll the booster to the pad. After that, the agency is tentatively planning to hold a Flight Readiness Review on August 22, when NASA leaders would make the "go" or "no-go" decision on whether to formally proceed with the launch.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal

Beginning in April of this year, NASA conducted four separate "wet dress rehearsal" tests during which the agency aimed to fully fuel the SLS rocket and countdown to T-10 seconds, ending the test before ignition of the main engines. Each of these four tests ultimately ended prematurely, although the fourth attempt in June saw engineers bring the rocket down to T-29 seconds. However, to reach that late stage in the countdown, NASA had to "fool" the flight computer. During the test, a 4-inch hydrogen line—smaller than the problematic 8-inch line on Monday—had a leaky seal. To complete the wet dress test, NASA chose to mask the leak from the ground launch sequencer, the ground-side computer that controls the majority of the countdown. Because of this masking, NASA could not complete the engine chill portion of the test. Had it done so, the agency may well have uncovered the problem that caused a scrub on Monday. In hindsight, therefore, NASA probably should have completed a full wet dress rehearsal before rolling the rocket out for a launch. Instead, the agency effectively attempted a fifth wet dress test on Monday, when the world was expecting a launch.

I didn't know they are just using an engine that was built 40 years ago during the Apollo era (or is it Space Shuttle?). I thought they built new ones using the same design with no changes.
NASA kept 16 Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSMEs) officially called RS-25 at the end of the program. Development began in the 70s with the rest of the Shuttle program. The plan is to modify the RS-25D's to RS-25E specs for SLS, then when those are used up, switch to new build RS-25E's or RS-25F's. The oldest RS-25 installed for Artemis 1 first flew on STS-89 in January 1998, so no 40+ year old engines are flying, those are in museums.

On a wing and a prayer.

Artemis 1: Nasa’s moon rocket springs hazardous leak ahead of launch

review found the problem was a faulty sensor, not a failure of the cooling system or engine itself, and the launch team has said it will be ignored if it malfunctions again during fuelling for Saturday’s planned attempt at 2.17pm EDT (7.17pm BST).

“This is an extremely complicated machine and system. Millions of parts,” Nelson told reporters at Cape Canaveral. “There are, in fact, risks. But are those risks acceptable?

On a wing and a prayer.

Artemis 1: Nasa’s moon rocket springs hazardous leak ahead of launch

review found the problem was a faulty sensor, not a failure of the cooling system or engine itself, and the launch team has said it will be ignored if it malfunctions again during fuelling for Saturday’s planned attempt at 2.17pm EDT (7.17pm BST).

“This is an extremely complicated machine and system. Millions of parts,” Nelson told reporters at Cape Canaveral. “There are, in fact, risks. But are those risks acceptable?
Total Drama Reporting...

Scrub this Saturday morning. Will this rust bucket ever fly? Or blow up on the launch pad due to all the shortcuts they will be forced to take? They tried three times to fix the hydrogen leak by letting the quick disconnect warm up for 30 minutes and hoping the metals expanded enough to tighten the seal. That’s the technical fix I want to hear when I’m dealing with hydrogen gas in an oxygen atmosphere.

Reactions: mspohr
1662229307400.png