Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small dent on 2018 Model 3 leads to a totaled status by insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a car is "totalled" by the insurance company is the owner obligated to turn in the car?

Also let's say the insurance company doesn't total the car. Can owners request for a check versus getting the car repaired? Lots of scummy body shops conspire with adjusters to inflate repair costs.. my Lotus had a cracked front bumper and the body shop got approved for $16000. I was initially told it would was "a part and paint" job. The part was $1200.. so they got $12000 for a paint job... oh and it was my fault so my insurance premium doubled after that.

I've driven around for two years with a dent/scratch on the driver's door and a non-folding mirror. No functionality other than the folding has been affected. When the accident happened, I didn't even contact my insurance company, just got some estimates from the then-current Tesla approved body shops. At least $3000 and three MONTHS to fix, IF they could get parts right away. My BS meter was going off, and I walked when the guy told me it took 2-3 weeks to calibrate the sensors on the door. I've been driving for two years. Yea, the car is no longer perfect, but when it's dirty you can hardly tell there's a scratch.

Get several quotes, some from non-approved body shops. Until insurance companies catch up to our realities, it might be best to wait to fix it.

Pictures?
sensors on the door, was it a model X

Not sure why folks are ragging on the insurance company as the OP notes the formula for totaling a car (Salvage+Repairs> FMV) is set by CA law.
So in times where used cars are fetching more than new car prices does this mean that for a perfect car, salvage value could be greater than Market value? Then all cars would be totaled even with zero repair cost, right?

Reactions: Taxvictim