Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Charging vs Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schumpeter

MS 90D owner. EV and renewable energy enthusiast!
Mar 31, 2015
Netherlands
HI all,

I recently joined a smart charging program in the Netherlands from the company Jedlix. Quite interesting concept; it saves me money and it helps with the integration of renewable energy. They work together with Tesla and have integrated the Tesla api for this. Instead of directly charging in the evening the pick the best moment in the night and still make sure the car is filled up in the morning. Not too much hassle, but I am wondering what the impact is on the battery/car. The car is filled at a later moment in the night (or day in the weekend), but the start/stop events might cause certain stress.
ChargingBatteries

I work with Li-Po / Ion used in aviation, and are pretty up to date with the chemistry and life cycle of those.
How many times it choose to start/stop charging and when, have no impact, you may think of it as the industry does, that one cycle is one time the capacity of the battery. Charging 1 time from 20...80% or three times 20% at a time, is still 60% of one cycle.

The only thing to consider, is the maximum current, (which you can limit) - so that it's not idle until when the power is cheapest, then supercharged within an hour. - for long life, slower is better.

Reactions: Moonwick