Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon - Another Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wrote in another thread (about the auto wipers stinking) how I do truly love my Model 3. But of course we know there are lots of issues that plague our Teslas. Smart Summon has been one of these "issues" since it was rolled out. There was one time, when it first came out, and before I knew better than to trust it, that I used it at a busy Lowes parking lot during a downpour. I actually had it pick me up at the front of the store. And...it worked! There were people and cars everywhere! Knowing what I know today, I would *never* try that again in a busy parking lot. I have since used it, with various levels of success and terrible failure, over the years.

Well this weekend I thought I'd try the party trick again in a hotel parking lot with a couple of my friends. There was light rain. I hit the button. The car started to move. My friends started to giggle with envy. And then, just as the M3 began its 45 degree reverse turn out of the parking spot, it just stopped. For no reason. Wouldn't budge. Tried like 5 more times. It simply would not move any more. Complete fail. I had to go run out to the car that was now blocking the lane in the parking lot. What good is a party trick if it ruins the party?

I just wrote in another thread (about the auto wipers stinking) how I do truly love my Model 3. But of course we know there are lots of issues that plague our Teslas. Smart Summon has been one of these "issues" since it was rolled out. There was one time, when it first came out, and before I knew better than to trust it, that I used it at a busy Lowes parking lot during a downpour. I actually had it pick me up at the front of the store. And...it worked! There were people and cars everywhere! Knowing what I know today, I would *never* try that again in a busy parking lot. I have since used it, with various levels of success and terrible failure, over the years.

Well this weekend I thought I'd try the party trick again in a hotel parking lot with a couple of my friends. There was light rain. I hit the button. The car started to move. My friends started to giggle with envy. And then, just as the M3 began its 45 degree reverse turn out of the parking spot, it just stopped. For no reason. Wouldn't budge. Tried like 5 more times. It simply would not move any more. Complete fail. I had to go run out to the car that was now blocking the lane in the parking lot. What good is a party trick if it ruins the party?
Partial failure. Complete failure would involve a very embarrassing call to your insurance company.

A couple hours after I posted this, in an absolute downpour, at an empty building’s parking lot, where I have been working for the day, I successfully used smart summon. Couldn’t have worked better. I don’t understand why it is so inconsistent. It ranges from an error on the app to the car moving a bit and stopping to complete success.

Reactions: RTPEV
I had a summon failure back when it first came out. There is a thread on here that talks about using OpenStreetMap's and editing up the parking spaces and eventually the vehicle will see the changes and preform correctly.
Here is a snap shot where the edits were performed in my example.
1694530339646.png

I remember adding the islands and the one-way sections. The video is old and probably don't depict the best approach on doing edits but it shows the outcome. The failure was when I was on the other side of the grass area and the car was attempting to come to me by starting to drive to the grass area. After the edits, a while later I attempted it again. I was surprised how the car was backing out of the parking spot and was going away from me until I realized that it was due to me creating the one-way sections. So, i would check on the web site and see if your parking lot is properly market with islands and direction of travel.