Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smoke Detectors in our garages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lloyd

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2011
San Luis Obispo, CA
I have just ordered smoke detectors for my garage. I have sprinklers in my garage and here is my thinking:

We have a lot of power going to our cars, and several members have shown that improper wiring and bad connections have caused some melted connectors with the potential for starting a fire. Smoke detectors in garages is not code AFAIK in the US. I ordered a unit from Amazon $14.29 with a 10 year lithium battery included. I want to know about an impending fire long before it gets hot enough to set off the fire sprinklers, and I am charging when I am most vulnerable, while sleeping!

This is really cheap insurance IMO and would recommend that everyone do the same.

Comments?

Last edited:
Thanks for the nudge Lloyd! I don't know why I hadn't thought of this before even though FlasherZ says I have a death-trap circuit breaker panel ;) I'll install one over the breaker panel this weekend. I do occasionally run my ICE motorcycle in the garage (door open!) when working on it so we'll see if that causes a problem. Otherwise just 2 Teslas in the garage and I should have an electric motorcycle next summer.

Smoke detectors probably not a smart idea. However you could install rate of rise heat detectors. I have 3 honeywell units in my garage, one above where each car sits.

These do not detect smoke, rather the temperature increase per minute. Great for those occasional pesky battery fires. I got the hardwired version which basically acts as a continuity switch, once the temp gets to a certain temp the switch is interrupted causing a fault and signals the whole house fire alarm.

Thinking IoT, everything connected.... How about a Nest Protect?

Who has ICE's in their garage these days anyhow?

https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/life-with-nest-protect/

I don't think your typical ICE will set off a smoke alarm, including the nest, because these detect the particles in smoke. (Modern ICEs put out a lot of CO2, but very little particle pollution.) If your ICE is a gross polluter, or if you have a lot of dust in your garage, it could be a problem.

Just noticed the nest site says not to install it in your garage. Here's what it says in the manual:

The installation of smoke alarms in kitchens, attics (finished or unfinished), or garages is not normally recommended, because these locations occasionally experience conditions that can result in improper operation. As Nest Protect is also a Carbon Monoxide alarm, it is not recommended to install it in a furnace room or a utility room if it contains a water heater or
a furnace. It should be 15-20 feet from these appliances to avoid transient conditions and/or perceived nuisance alarms.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, don't install in these cases:

• In very damp, humid or steamy areas, or directly near bathrooms with showers. Keep a smoke alarm at least 10 feet (3 meters) away from showers, saunas, dishwashers, etc.
  • Where temperatures are regularly below 40˚F (4˚C) or above 100˚ F (38˚C) including unheated buildings, outdoor rooms, porches, or unfinished attics or basements.
  • In very dusty, dirty, or greasy areas. Do not install a smoke alarm directly over the stove or range. Clean a laundry room unit frequently to keep it free of dust or lint.

Hey Brandon or anyone else who may know,

The rate of heat rise detector looks like something I'd like to install over my charger / Tesla. However the link says it transmits to a receiver / control unit. Does anyone know if it will work standalone or does anyone know of a model which is wireless & standalone?

Thanks.

Smoke detectors probably not a smart idea. However you could install rate of rise heat detectors. I have 3 honeywell units in my garage, one above where each car sits.

These do not detect smoke, rather the temperature increase per minute. Great for those occasional pesky battery fires. I got the hardwired version which basically acts as a continuity switch, once the temp gets to a certain temp the switch is interrupted causing a fault and signals the whole house fire alarm.

I am going to use one of these and tie it into the alarm system. Has smoke and temperature sensing. The Model S is the only car in the garage.
Our garage is too far from our bedroom to hear one otherwise. I have the alarm set up to page me, text me and email me with a trigger.

Based on the discussions here I recently purchased 8 Nest Protect smoke/CO detectors and installed them around the house, garage, shop, and utility room. I never considered putting a smoke detector in some of these locations, though I probably wouldn't have heard a conventional smoke detector alarming in some of those places anyway. The Nest Protect detectors are all linked together, and they all relay warnings if one of them alarms. Nice design.