TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Smoke Detectors in our garages

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Lloyd, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#1 Lloyd, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    I have just ordered smoke detectors for my garage. I have sprinklers in my garage and here is my thinking:

We have a lot of power going to our cars, and several members have shown that improper wiring and bad connections have caused some melted connectors with the potential for starting a fire. Smoke detectors in garages is not code AFAIK in the US. I ordered a unit from Amazon $14.29 with a 10 year lithium battery included. I want to know about an impending fire long before it gets hot enough to set off the fire sprinklers, and I am charging when I am most vulnerable, while sleeping!

This is really cheap insurance IMO and would recommend that everyone do the same.

Comments?

2. thelastdeadmouse

This works as long as you're garage contains only EVs. Its not common practice because in most garages they're easily set off by car exhaust, sawdust, and regular ole dust.

3. markb1

markb1 Active Member

4. strider

strider Active Member

Thanks for the nudge Lloyd! I don't know why I hadn't thought of this before even though FlasherZ says I have a death-trap circuit breaker panel ;) I'll install one over the breaker panel this weekend. I do occasionally run my ICE motorcycle in the garage (door open!) when working on it so we'll see if that causes a problem. Otherwise just 2 Teslas in the garage and I should have an electric motorcycle next summer.

5. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

Smoke detectors probably not a smart idea. However you could install rate of rise heat detectors. I have 3 honeywell units in my garage, one above where each car sits.

These do not detect smoke, rather the temperature increase per minute. Great for those occasional pesky battery fires. I got the hardwired version which basically acts as a continuity switch, once the temp gets to a certain temp the switch is interrupted causing a fault and signals the whole house fire alarm.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Installed 2 in two garages 10 days ago. No false alarms or issues yet.

7. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Would agree on not using smoke detectors. In my last couple of houses, we have had heat detectors in the kitchen and garage.

O

8. Blathering1

Blathering1 Remember

Thinking IoT, everything connected.... How about a Nest Protect?

Who has ICE's in their garage these days anyhow?

https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/life-with-nest-protect/

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

That looks like a great option. I'll place those at my next replacement. I had no idea that they were available. Nest makes great products. I love their thermostats in my office.

10. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Nest just opened up ordering--grabbed a few for my casa. I will report back.

11. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I don't think your typical ICE will set off a smoke alarm, including the nest, because these detect the particles in smoke. (Modern ICEs put out a lot of CO2, but very little particle pollution.) If your ICE is a gross polluter, or if you have a lot of dust in your garage, it could be a problem.

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I have Ice and Tesla in my garage. No problems so far 3 weeks.

13. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Just noticed the nest site says not to install it in your garage. Here's what it says in the manual:

- - - Updated - - -

Also, don't install in these cases:

14. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

The Nest Protect is also a CO detector.

15. ribsandbbqbeef

Hey Brandon or anyone else who may know,

The rate of heat rise detector looks like something I'd like to install over my charger / Tesla. However the link says it transmits to a receiver / control unit. Does anyone know if it will work standalone or does anyone know of a model which is wireless & standalone?

Thanks.

16. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

Mine are basically relays. I have them tied into my whole house security and fire.

17. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I could put one out there, but I'd never hear it if it went off. :(

18. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I am going to use one of these and tie it into the alarm system. Has smoke and temperature sensing. The Model S is the only car in the garage.
    Our garage is too far from our bedroom to hear one otherwise. I have the alarm set up to page me, text me and email me with a trigger.

19. CalDreamin

CalDreamin Member

Based on the discussions here I recently purchased 8 Nest Protect smoke/CO detectors and installed them around the house, garage, shop, and utility room. I never considered putting a smoke detector in some of these locations, though I probably wouldn't have heard a conventional smoke detector alarming in some of those places anyway. The Nest Protect detectors are all linked together, and they all relay warnings if one of them alarms. Nice design.

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

CalDreaming, I just got 5 of the Nest detectors and will be installing them this week, and will put one in my garage. It will be great to have "smart" detectors that communicate with my Nest thermostat.