Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SMS Integration Issues using Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the Signal Private Messenger on Android (Samsung Note 10+) as my default Messaging app. When using SMS through the car's voice commands a message is sent, however it logs the message under the stock Samsung messaging app and the sent message does not appear under the conversation in the Signal app. The recipient receives the message normally (as an SMS), and when they reply, the message is received to the Signal app, however it does not notify in the car nor are any messages visible in the car.
Messages received in this senerio are unsecured SMS messages and not Signal data messages.

Has anyone experienced this type of issue with Signal or another 3rd party SMS app and are there any suggestions on how to fix the issues?

Thoughts on who to open a support ticket with? Signal vs. Samsung vs. Tesla?

Model 3 AWD w/ PUP HW 2.5 in Canada, Phone on Telus

Signal requires an app and devices to be registered. It isn’t technically SMS. That whole end to end encryption business. Signal doesn’t work on my foolish Apple Watch either(I can receive but not send)
I certainly understand the requirement for end to end encryption needing the app, but the app claims support for SMS and can (and wants) to become the default SMS messaging app. It's odd behavior for sent messages from the car to log under a non-default messaging app. Then more interesting that received messages come into Signal as SMS (when replied as SMS) and the car is not aware of them.

I suppose I can try another SMS only alternative as default as see if Signal is the cause of issues when set as default or if Samsung's implementation is.

Reactions: JBT66
I have a Google Pixel 3 XL, use signal and am also experiencing a similar issue. Signal is set as my default sms app on my phone. I do not receive notifications, nor can the car read my messages. I have not attempted to send an sms txt using voice commands in the model 3 as yet.

• Informative
Reactions: ACPark