Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

*SNAP* goes the tire valve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Not terribly Tesla-specific, but it did happen on my S, so here goes:

The top portion of one of my tire valves snapped off:
valve core 1.jpg

This while attempting to use my valve wrench:
SKU081619B (1).JPG

to remove it.

Now I can just spin the top broken portion of the valve with the wrench, while the body remains threaded inside the stem.

Fortunately, it still holds air.

Any thoughts on how to remove the remaining portion of the valve body?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The TPMS valves are threaded, and even hex'd so you can unscrew the outer shell from the valve body which then goes inside the wheel. I'd first test to see if you can begin to unscrew the outside of the stem. If so, buy another one. Then, fully deflate the tire, begin unscrewing the valve body until you can get pliers to hold it by the threads (so that it doesn't fall inside the tire). Then, finish unscrewing and replace the broken body. The needed torque is very small, inch pounds, enough so it doesn't leak.

He means the valve core is broken unfortunately. The TPMS "nut" won't fix this problem. You would need to dismount the tire as the actual valve needs to be replaced.
Picture of the sensor "nut"
41SOng0Vg4L._SX425_.jpg

You are actually lucky as a lot of times the actual valve snaps and your tires goes flat instantly. At least currently the tire will continue to hold air!

A small easy-out should be able to remove it without having to demount the tire.

The core still has the "pin" intact, and the broken-off "crown" is still there too... it just spins on the pin endlessly. With all that there, I don't see how I'd be able to thread an EZ Out in there without having to drill the valve core, which be challenging with the pin, etc... in the way. Not to mention the shavings that would end up inside the tire and or pressure sensor.

I suspect having the entire valve stem replaced is indeed the only easy option. But maybe somebody else will chime in...

Thanks.