Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snippiness 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at this post several times to see if I should remove it, because its very xenophobic and short sighted. Every time someone says something like this, I think to myself "but if you are walking around with an iPhone or android phone, you have a device thats made in china that no one would consider low quality".

Its wrong to denote "all products" from a region as low quality, its not universally true for goods made in any city, state, or country, and this type of post normally stirs up even more xenophobic posts after it.

With the above being said, I try very hard to separate "things I think are wrong" from "things I need to take moderation action on" in my head and actions. I will admit freely to being a regular person, so to say that it has zero impact would be silly as thats almost impossible. I do call it out to myself though, to try to keep myself honest on it. I doubt everyone agrees, but thats what I try to do, anyway.

I came to the conclusion that I while I really dont like the above comment as it really drives home a bunch of irrational xenophobia, that frankly is misguided, and proven by any number of manufactured products to be incorrect as a whole, its not actionable from a moderation perspective. So I just decided to write a long dissertation on why I disagree with it, yet didnt do anything about it from a moderation perspective.

I didn't read it as xenophobic but simply stating a fact. He indicated that AFTERMARKET (IE: parts made by a company other than a legitimate manufacturer) parts from China have been unsatisfactory. It is what it is - China is well known for manufacturing and when partnered with and aided by US businesses they make plenty of quality things (as you mentioned) but the country is also equally well known for violating intellectual property laws and creating obscenely low quality knock offs. Quite simply, if you're going to buy something direct from China that isn't a brand name, do so at your own peril. The Chinese manufacturers making these products do not offer the same level of service, support, and quality that consumers in the West have come to expect. China (as a whole) isn't known for quality engineering and manufacturing. Their vehicles are bad, and as another example China very recently just developed (within the last 5 years) the technology to finally make ballpoint pens without help from other countries.

Last edited:
"its not actually braking! No pads are touching rotors!"
"the braking did no generate 2.3g's of force, so I dont consider that hard braking"
"there was no evidence of a phantom in the car, so not Tesla's fault"
"The shadow on the road was in the shape of a human being lying down, so braking was the right thing for it to do!"

The boiz on here come up with ANY excuse for Elon.

🤣
Do you get paid to post this BS ?

I know what the word means. One of the interesting things about the internet is, I dont know your background other than what you say here, and you dont know mine either. "I wont use chinese made XXX as there is no YYYY" statement, the way it was made, falls into the description you put there. Thats quite a bit different statement than "I wont use this X thing from Y company". In general, lumping an entire group of people together to make a statement about them as a whole tends to be incorrect.

Saying that, however, I am probably at the point now where I should move that post to quarantine, along with my response to it and any response to my responses because it dilutes this thread.
My goodness! After all this you still believe the guy was being xenophobic even though you admit to knowing what it means. It's about hate for all foreigners and strangers. It is not about momentary irritation with the Chinese (thoughtless though that might be) driven by a fit of peak over the failure of an item on his much loved car. I don't know, but he might even be ethnically Chinese or be big friends with the owners of his local Chinese restaurant. Based on the evidence, (you don't know him either), how can you so insulting to a fellow member as to accuse him of Xenophobia whilst knowing what it means. And then continue to stand by your words.

I give up!

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I didn't read it as xenophobic but simply stating a fact. He indicated that AFTERMARKET (IE: parts made by a company other than a legitimate manufacturer) parts from China have been unsatisfactory. It is what it is - China is well known for manufacturing and when partnered with and aided by US businesses they make plenty of quality things (as you mentioned) but the country is also equally well known for violating intellectual property laws and creating obscenely low quality knock offs. Quite simply, if you're going to buy something direct from China that isn't a brand name, do so at your own peril. The Chinese manufacturers making these products do not offer the same level of service, support, and quality that consumers in the West have come to expect. China (as a whole) isn't known for quality engineering and manufacturing. Their vehicles are bad, and as another example China very recently just developed (within the last 5 years) the technology to finally make ballpoint pens without help from other countries.

I quoted the exact words used. You've implied a lot more in your response than what was used in the exact statement.

I hesitate to put anything aftermarket on my car that was made in China. Quality control is unlikely and there is no one standing behind the product. Sorry to hear this happened.

This thread is getting confusing and loosing it's usefulness. Posts from outside UK with news of vin allocation just make it impossible to understand what is happening.
I thought it was to report and comment on shipping movements to UK and Ireland.
If you must post from other countries please make it plain where you are based.
in UK you always want it different, so for now people outside from UK cannot interact, so you will not have anymore infos from Shanghai too. its a community not a Brexit again ;-). for exemple I did spot that the Morning Peace did have a technical failure and made a QRF (aviation term), and its delivery is also UK and Zeebrugge, so we are all linked, and when the car will be made in Berlin you will be happy to have infos from Berlin too ;-)? Am I wrong?

Not directly - but posts a heavily edited commercial and asks "I wonder what new excuses Tesla fans will come up with when this goes live for everyone" - as if, if the commercial went "live" for everyone, it would be L5. Remember, this is the same "expert" who has posted umpteen times negatively about Tesla for putting out a clearly sped up edited video.

The fact that the video is highly edited is a red herring. The video being highly unedited does not change the fact that Waymo has real L4 robotaxis.

And, I think @Bladerskb is simply asking how will Tesla fans respond when Waymo opens up their driverless rides to everyone in SF.

I'd trust Omar over the "senior software engineer", any day.

Well me personally, I would trust the senior software engineer who is an autonomous driving expert and very knowledgeable over Omar who is just a Tesla shill on Twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex
The fact that the video is highly edited is a red herring. The video being highly unedited does not change the fact that Waymo has real L4 robotaxis.

And, I think @Bladerskb is simply asking how will Tesla fans respond when Waymo opens up their driverless rides to everyone in SF.
You didn't call out your friend when he talked about Tesla putting out edited videos a "red herring" - why not ?

Well me personally, I would trust the senior software engineer who is an autonomous driving expert and very knowledgeable over Omar who is just a Tesla shill on Twitter.
Clearly you and Blader are much bigger shills of Waymo than Omar is of Tesla.

BTW, just a reminder - this is a Tesla fan forum. Not Waymo's. How come Waymo doesn't even have its own fan forum ?

You didn't call out your friend when he talked about Tesla putting out edited videos a "red herring" - why not ?

Because there is a big difference. Waymo has autonomous driving. So you trying to make a big deal about the video being edited to try to discredit Waymo, is a red herring. The fact the video is edited does not make Waymo less autonomous. Tesla does not have autonomous driving. So, it is not a red herring to point out that Tesla is editing a video to look autonomous when it is not.

Clearly you and Blader are much bigger shills of Waymo than Omar is of Tesla.

That is your opinion. I respectfully disagree.

BTW, just a reminder - this is a Tesla fan forum. Not Waymo's.

This thread is for AV progress in general. It is designed to be a place to talk about non-Tesla FSD. It is absolutely the right thread to talk about Waymo. You have dozens of threads to talk about Tesla's FSD.

Frankly, it is disappointing that some here seem to just want this forum to be a Tesla echo chamber. Yes, it is a Tesla forum but that does not mean it should be a Tesla echo chamber that only allows one point of view.

How come Waymo doesn't even have its own fan forum ?

I don't know. Why does it matter?

Reactions: Ramphex
What absolute BS Garbage.

Blader is literally working for a competitor of Tesla. He doesn't disclose this obvious conflict of interest i.e. he is literally getting paid by a Tesla competitor and he comes here and trash-posts about Tesla ALL the time. He doesn't post a single word that is positive about Tesla. He has NEVER posted a single positive word about Tesla.

He is as much of a Shill for the unnamed Tesla competitor as anyone can ever find in a forum.

You are so easy to be brain-washed. First it was by Elon/Tesla and now by the Waymo.

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
I support a COVID ban.
Show me how much time you have spent advocating for it on social media.

This chart needs to be normalized to the number of people susceptible to COVID (everyone), the number of guns in circulation, and the number of cars with Autopilot. :p
Only if you show you have spent 100,000x more time advocating for measures supporting a “Covid ban” compared to the time you spend here even though you haven’t even bought FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This entire thread is about shopping for opinions. That's the point, yes? I've got a few opinions, more never hurts.

There's not much room for opinion here. You've basically asked "I think 2+2=5 - what do you think?" and a number of math experts said "no, sorry, 2+2=4". You're now shopping for a different answer that's more to your liking. Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.