Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow chains on 21" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody ever put snow chains on their 21" Model S wheels? We're planning a trip to Thredbo in about a week and I am considering taking The Homer instead of Marge's Lexus RX. But I think I might have read somewhere that snow chains can be tricky to fit to the S due to the gap, or lack of one, over the wheel arches. Or else I could have dreamt all of that.

Hey Mate,

I'm thinking of doing the same trip from Sydney to Thredbo. I wasn't going to do Chains, I don't think I'll need them. I've driven up a few times and never used them.

How are you planing your charging? I was thinking an over nighter in Canberra (Hyatt) then Thredbo on the way there. On the way back how would you do it? Unless you stayed at Thredbo Alpine village (destination charger) which is sold out, there's no charging until you reached Canberra which means you would be doing Thredbo / Canberra return on one charge. Am I missing something?

My understanding is that if they decide there is ice on the road, they can stop you and check that you have chains fitted, and so the recommendation is to always carry them. I've never seen this happen in practice, however.

We were planning to go to Canberra first too because it's a long drive straight through with the kids, stay at the Park Hyatt or the Realm, and then drive on to Thredbo the next day. At Thredbo I was intending to plug into a regular 240v outlet in the underground garage of the apartment building. But you've reminded me that I need to check whether they have power in the garage!

Can't answer for the chains or getting them on the S but an alternative if the chains are not possible. I drive in snow/ice a fair amount in the US ski season and the new high tech snow tires (Blizzaks, Nokians, Michelin Xices) are excellent snow tires. Ran them on the front wheel drive Prius and the thing was unstoppable in the snow and ice.

164644-126e40d714911b0fee9a074d2824e585.jpg

My understanding is that if they decide there is ice on the road, they can stop you and check that you have chains fitted, and so the recommendation is to always carry them. I've never seen this happen in practice, however.

We were planning to go to Canberra first too because it's a long drive straight through with the kids, stay at the Park Hyatt or the Realm, and then drive on to Thredbo the next day. At Thredbo I was intending to plug into a regular 240v outlet in the underground garage of the apartment building. But you've reminded me that I need to check whether they have power in the garage!

Yes you are right. I should at least carry some in the trunk! I'm in the same boat as you, it seems as though we have twin Model S's. Therefore I would be also requiring the same as you.

I'm looking at also staying at either the realm or Hyatt in Canberra. Like you, traveling with kids requires stops. There is only one destination charger in all of Thredbo. Makes it a little hard. I'm trying to book something in for next weekend. Really would love to take the Tesla, hopefully not the Range!

Yes you are right. I should at least carry some in the trunk! I'm in the same boat as you, it seems as though we have twin Model S's. Therefore I would be also requiring the same as you.

I'm looking at also staying at either the realm or Hyatt in Canberra. Like you, traveling with kids requires stops. There is only one destination charger in all of Thredbo. Makes it a little hard. I'm trying to book something in for next weekend. Really would love to take the Tesla, hopefully not the Range!

Do you have the roof rack system? I don't and I'm not sure whether Tesla has these in stock at St Leonards.

Also according to EV Trip Planner it looks as though the return Thredbo to Goulburn is possible without a stop in Canberra (maybe because there's a lot of downhill?) which would be nice as I'd rather go all the way through on the way back.

That would be possible, but you would need a full charge leaving Thredbo. So a charge in Thredbo is a must.

I don't have roof racks, we won't have any need for them, we will hire gear down at Thredbo so that will save us on need the roof racks. You could always try St Leonards, you never know.

When are you planning on heading down. It doesn't seem many Tesla's have made this trek?

That would be possible, but you would need a full charge leaving Thredbo. So a charge in Thredbo is a must.

I don't have roof racks, we won't have any need for them, we will hire gear down at Thredbo so that will save us on need the roof racks. You could always try St Leonards, you never know.

When are you planning on heading down. It doesn't seem many Tesla's have made this trek?

I'm holding a reservation for next Sunday 3 July, but I haven't confirmed (paid for) it yet. We'd drive down to Canberra on election day and then on to Thredbo on Sunday. I've called St Leonards to enquire about a roof rack but I have a feeling they won't have them in stock in any case so I guess we'll be hiring skis; the rest should fit in the car.

I'm still concerned about the need for snow chains though. Hopefully they can answer that question as well when they call me back.

I'm holding a reservation for next Sunday 3 July, but I haven't confirmed (paid for) it yet. We'd drive down to Canberra on election day and then on to Thredbo on Sunday. I've called St Leonards to enquire about a roof rack but I have a feeling they won't have them in stock in any case so I guess we'll be hiring skis; the rest should fit in the car.

I'm still concerned about the need for snow chains though. Hopefully they can answer that question as well when they call me back.

I'd be interested to hear what they say to you about the chains. They got a good 40cm dumping today. So chains may be a requirement. I'll be there the same time as you. I'm heading to Canberra on Friday stay one night. Then head to Threadbo on Saturday and leave on Tuesday back to Sydney. You just reminded me about the election, I might have to vote early. Good call

OK so the story is that service usually has the roof racks in stock but they can't tell me until Monday. So I'll either buy them and get them fitted during the week or just hire the skis down there. On the issue of snow chains, as an AWD vehicle the Tesla is apparently exempt from the requirement for snow chains. So far, so good.

But here's where it gets interesting. I was planning on using the mobile charger over the 5 nights of our stay. But apparently if the temperature is below -5 degrees, the mobile charger can only just keep the battery warm and won't be able to add any charge. So if you're parking outside, that isn't going to work. We'll be parking in a garage so that should mean it's OK, but there's obviously still a chance that it won't charge much. However there is a destination charger at the Alpine Hotel, as has been pointed out, and so that is a backup option.

OK so the story is that service usually has the roof racks in stock but they can't tell me until Monday. So I'll either buy them and get them fitted during the week or just hire the skis down there. On the issue of snow chains, as an AWD vehicle the Tesla is apparently exempt from the requirement for snow chains. So far, so good.

But here's where it gets interesting. I was planning on using the mobile charger over the 5 nights of our stay. But apparently if the temperature is below -5 degrees, the mobile charger can only just keep the battery warm and won't be able to add any charge. So if you're parking outside, that isn't going to work. We'll be parking in a garage so that should mean it's OK, but there's obviously still a chance that it won't charge much. However there is a destination charger at the Alpine Hotel, as has been pointed out, and so that is a backup option.

Yeah you're right in relation to snow chains. When I was confirming my reservation today at the Alpine hotel they told me as long as the car is a AWD then chains aren't required. However they did say that you need to provide them with stats or the manual on the Tesla showing them that it is AWD, as they probably haven't seen to many Tesla's go by I think it will be a good idea to have the specifications of the car handy.

In relation to the destination charger, I was told by the staff at the hotel it's not operational, I'm hoping they are incorrect and just unsure, so I'm waiting hear back from them. This would make matters a little interesting. If for whatever reason I can get a destination charge, I may have to do a pit stop at Cooma show ground on the way home and get a top up charge. May have to look at getting the dual charger installed as well as a precaution to speed up that charge from the 3 phase 32amp connection at Cooma showground.

Haha, that would make 2 of us. I guess there are worse places to be stuck!

I'm hoping they are just unsure about the destination charger. You might see my car with a big extension lead going to it! From what I know the alpine hotel is all out door parking. I know once I get to Thredbo I won't need the car, so if it has to be charged with the UMC I should have plenty of time to give it a full charge before I leave.

I just spoke to the apartment manager. There is a power point in the garage that we can plug into and he added that, if we have any issues charging, he'll arrange for us to get a charge at the Thredbo Alpine Hotel. So Thredbo is about to get hit by a Tesla storm!