TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Snow tire woes

Discussion in 'New England' started by EdA, Apr 8, 2016.

1. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

After two seasons with the stock Pirelli's I switched to Nokian in the fall. I was never happy with the Pirelli's.
    In the fall of 2014 we put Nokian's on my wife's car, her's were removed today.

I removed my Nokian's on Monday. Apparently I'm going to need two new tires next winter after only 3,000 miles.
    Nokian does not offer any warranty on their snow tires either.

I don't feel like I have a particularly heavy foot, I'm more of a hyper-miler, needless to say I am not happy with the
    situation. Has anyone else had issues with these tires? Note the tires were worn on the inside and in the middle.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've not had any wear problems with any of the Nokians I've had in the past. Without inspecting the tires, I don't want to express any opinion on why you had the poor wear.

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

The wear was similar on both tires...

4. alset

alset Member

Could be alignment issues? Are you driving 21s in the summers? Have you had alignment issues in the past? I seem to have a lot of alignment issues on my 2012 which Tesla has suggested is because of the 21" wheels which warp on Boston potholed roads.

5. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

My summer tires are 19". My original snows (Pirelli's lasted two season).
    My original summer tires also lasted two seasons.

6. bigmaple1

bigmaple1 Member

I have found used Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s for 2 seasons. I find them to have squishy sidewalls, and with the hard stud like bits in them, they are noisy. I think they are one of the best tires I have ever used for snow covered/icey roads with a RWD. (I keep mine at 45psi to help firm them up, and I avoid generating large lateral forces, or high accel/decel forces). Other than that, I can't wait to get them off the car. When these wear out, I won't replace them with the same. I'll probably try Michelin X-Ice next time. I think dry roads combined with a heavy vehicle spells doom for them.

7. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

I just took off my Hakka R2s 19"s after the third winter season and they look like I can get a 4th winter from them. I have not had any issues and find that they worked very well in the snow/ice but am not a long distance driver with them. Maybe 13-15,000 miles total on them so far. Much prefer the regular tires for noise, handling and energy consumption though.