Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tires - Yea or Nay?

How do you drive on snow/ice around Puget Sound?

• I don't have a Tesla or I don't live in the Pacific NW

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, we are new to Seattle (moved from Cali last year) and never really driven much in the snow other than driving to Tahoe sometimes with snowchains. My needs: Go to Snowqualmie/Stevens Pass for the next 2 months skiing and often to Rainier NP in the winter. I know very little about driving in these passes, so firstly I need help determining b/w "all weather tries" or "winter only" tires. I am trying to decide b/w one of these 2 choices for my RWD Tesla Model S 75 2016. Size is 245/45/R19
  1. Michelin x-ice snow tires - $1100 out the door including install
  2. Quatrac Pro is Vredestein's Grand Touring All-Season tire
Not sure why Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 is not available for my car per this

I don’t know how much snow tire you need but that Vredestein is not an all weather tire.

Your safest choice is probably X-Ice. They can be a little soft handling. But they should last, are super quiet and great on efficiency.

Not sure if Pirelli Scorpion Winters are available in your specs but they are a lot like Sottozero. Performance Winter snow. What does Tesla show in the shop?

I don’t know how much snow tire you need but that Vredestein is not an all weather tire.

Your safest choice is probably X-Ice. They can be a little soft handling. But they should last, are super quiet and great on efficiency.

Not sure if Pirelli Scorpion Winters are available in your specs but they are a lot like Sottozero. Performance Winter snow. What does Tesla show in the shop?

For this remaining season, I only need tires for a) 6 weekend trips to Snoqualmie for my kid's ski lessons and b) One trip to Whitefish Montana in late Feb. So are snow tires really needed? Tesla shop only lists the Sottozero, no mention of the X-ice on Tesla. I am hearing from others on Facebook that Vredestein is indeed an all-season tire. This Tiretrack site indicates so as well.

Hey everyone, we are new to Seattle (moved from Cali last year) and never really driven much in the snow other than driving to Tahoe sometimes with snowchains. My needs: Go to Snowqualmie/Stevens Pass for the next 2 months skiing and often to Rainier NP in the winter. I know very little about driving in these passes, so firstly I need help determining b/w "all weather tries" or "winter only" tires. I am trying to decide b/w one of these 2 choices for my RWD Tesla Model S 75 2016. Size is 245/45/R19
  1. Michelin x-ice snow tires - $1100 out the door including install
  2. Quatrac Pro is Vredestein's Grand Touring All-Season tire
Not sure why Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 is not available for my car per this
I've heard great things about the Vredestein Quatrac Pro as well. I think it would be a great option and would have bought some for my X if they offered the proper sizes for my stock setup staggered wheels.

Supposedly great in the wet too which you'll see more of than actual snow in most of your driving. Unless you catch a winter storm on that trip to Montana.

I went with the Nokian WRG4 which is a similar tire to the Vredesteins, an "all wether" tire with the snowflake rating.

I'm a new owner, and have actually spent more time with my SR+ on winter tires than the all-season that it came with, but I got the General Arctic Altimax 12's, and they have been great in the snow & slush over here on the east side of Washington so far! Not sure exactly what they have done to my range as like I said, I've had more time on them than the all-seasons, but I'm very happy so far!

Reactions: goneskiian