Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the 245/40/19 Nokians I ordered from one of our distributors is out of stock so I'm going to try these Contis instead. Reviews seem to be very positive. I was deciding between the Contis and the Vredesteins but the general consensus biased towards Conti.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 5.27.30 PM.png

Winter tires last longer than summer tires under the right conditions and has always been the case for me in the last 30 years of driving. I can imagine they will last a decade if one were on hard packed snow covered roads all winter long. Their drawback is they should not be used if temps are above 7C (46F) for any extended periods which will cause the tire to wear prematurely as the rubber compound is designed for cold temps.

A good example would be someone in California with winter tires only because he goes up to the mountains to ski every second weekend where it is much colder. Most of the time he is in unfavourable winter tire temps and warm asphalt eating away at his winter tires.

Here is a excerpt from an article.

When do you take winter tires off?​

Driving on winter tires when the thermometer starts to head north can be destructive. Winter tires are designed to perform best on ice and snow, not when the asphalt is hot from the sun. It’s not only unsafe, but it will also cost you money because the winter tires will degrade faster. Therefore, it’s imperative to change back to your normal tires at the right time.

Reactions: Stirfry
I live in the mountains and have a long (375 ft) steep (10% grade near tend) curved driveway. With my Model S RWD I tried chains for a few months but it was too much trouble. Bought extra wheels and Michelin X-Ice tires and the snow and Ice handling was very good. Tesla traction control is superb IME. The snow tires were still doing ok six years later when I traded the car in. ( I don't do long road trips in winter, so perhaps 20,000 to 25,000 miles on the snow tires).

For the new Y LR, I bought an extra set of Gemini wheels and put X-Ice tires on them again. (The X-Ice tires are rated "Extra Load," which is necessary for the weight of the Y.) As with my S, the first thing I noticed is how quiet they are compared to the OEM tires. So far the tires are handling the snow and ice quite well, but we haven't had any big dumps of snow yet. I am hoping that the snow tires plus AWD will push through deeper snow on my driveway before I have to shovel it.

Given where I live, I take my winter driving seriously and don't mind the wheel swap twice a year. The expense of proper tires is small compared to the cost of the car or dealing with a crash.

Reactions: EatsShoots and ngng
I live in the mountains and have a long (375 ft) steep (10% grade near tend) curved driveway. With my Model S RWD I tried chains for a few months but it was too much trouble. Bought extra wheels and Michelin X-Ice tires and the snow and Ice handling was very good. Tesla traction control is superb IME. The snow tires were still doing ok six years later when I traded the car in. ( I don't do long road trips in winter, so perhaps 20,000 to 25,000 miles on the snow tires).

For the new Y LR, I bought an extra set of Gemini wheels and put X-Ice tires on them again. (The X-Ice tires are rated "Extra Load," which is necessary for the weight of the Y.) As with my S, the first thing I noticed is how quiet they are compared to the OEM tires. So far the tires are handling the snow and ice quite well, but we haven't had any big dumps of snow yet. I am hoping that the snow tires plus AWD will push through deeper snow on my driveway before I have to shovel it.

Given where I live, I take my winter driving seriously and don't mind the wheel swap twice a year. The expense of proper tires is small compared to the cost of the car or dealing with a crash.

I'd add that while winter tires are superior to all season and summer tires, they are not unstoppable. They're great in snow and work on ice, but if you see a lot of ice a studded winter will blow a studless winter out of the water. I had a set of studded Hakkas on my X and it was damn near unstoppable compared to the same studless version on my F350!

Reactions: RSpanner

I'm down a 300' road with a pretty bad gradient up as well. We've had a number of people on aging tires struggle to get up with FWD. I've had a tow truck have to pull a delivery guy up. He was running a RWD cargo van with damn-near slick tires, no traction control, and the belief that when stuck the best way out is to gun the engine (resulting in ice under the tires).

I'd add that while winter tires are superior to all season and summer tires, they are not unstoppable. They're great in snow and work on ice, but if you see a lot of ice a studded winter will blow a studless winter out of the water. I had a set of studded Hakkas on my X and it was damn near unstoppable compared to the same studless version on my F350!
I thought hard about the studs. I had them in a car years ago and I felt I could drive through a snow bank uphill without blinking an eye. I didn’t get them this time because I didn’t want to take a chance on my epoxied garage floor.

I thought hard about the studs. I had them in a car years ago and I felt I could drive through a snow bank uphill without blinking an eye. I didn’t get them this time because I didn’t want to take a chance on my epoxied garage floor.

Oh yeah, the carbide would eat those floors up. You'd need to lay down some wood or something similar!