Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had Vredestein Wintrac Pro tires put on. They actually feel cushier and have a more comfortable ride. Also, they do not seem louder at all. I assume the range will suffer, but so far in the coating of snow we have had they seem reassuringly sure footed. This is for a RWD Model 3.

As a side note, I should have purchased them through a dealer rather than a local shop. There are rebates $$.

Reactions: Redekw
Lifespan on winter tires is always bad. I've seen a few mention one season out of their pirellis but of course I dunno how many miles they did. We'll put ~14k on ours probably so that may be that for them.

They are softer, but one season is an exaggeration. I'm in CA and generally run mine when the temps drop to about 50F, so Nov-Feb/Mar and they see much warmer temps at lower altitudes. The tires will probably time out before they wear out. Hell, with the Hakkas on my F350 I'd routinely tow a 32' car trailer with no noticeable wear.

They are softer, but one season is an exaggeration. I'm in CA and generally run mine when the temps drop to about 50F, so Nov-Feb/Mar and they see much warmer temps at lower altitudes. The tires will probably time out before they wear out. Hell, with the Hakkas on my F350 I'd routinely tow a 32' car trailer with no noticeable wear.
I hope I get multiple seasons!

Tentatively impressed by mileage on our new tires, installed yesterday. My wife drives the same route every day and gets down to 74% almost invariably by the time she's at work. Today it was 72%.

Of the two closest repair shops I called one says they don't work on Teslas (dude it's just tires...), the other had no qualms about it. PSI was right, lug torque was right, they lifted properly with no battery damage.

Quite excited for some heavy snow to see how this works. My wife said it was dangerous driving home the other night on our half-worn all-seasons in a modest snow storm, but when I took it out later and found it was doing pretty well. I think the traction and stability control on this is very competent. Attempting to fish tail in a parking lot it will only slide out a few degrees before tightening up.

Tentatively impressed by mileage on our new tires, installed yesterday. My wife drives the same route every day and gets down to 74% almost invariably by the time she's at work. Today it was 72%.

Of the two closest repair shops I called one says they don't work on Teslas (dude it's just tires...), the other had no qualms about it. PSI was right, lug torque was right, they lifted properly with no battery damage.

Quite excited for some heavy snow to see how this works. My wife said it was dangerous driving home the other night on our half-worn all-seasons in a modest snow storm, but when I took it out later and found it was doing pretty well. I think the traction and stability control on this is very competent. Attempting to fish tail in a parking lot it will only slide out a few degrees before tightening up.

If you live in NY you probably have had your share of winter snowfall so I'll skip to the Tesla specifics. The car is great with winter tires, the biggest thing to be aware of is the lift off throttle regen. As long as you are a smooth driver, it shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: EatsShoots
If I look up that tire on Continentals website - they say it doesn’t fit a MYP. But if I review the sizes they offer; it seems they offer the correct 255/35/21 and 275/35/21 tire. Where did you buy yours from? The Continental tires are way cheaper than the Pirelli and Nokian options, which makes it pretty tempting.

A proper snow tire is a game changer. we're running the Continental Viking Contact 7's on our MYP, any snow tire will have much improved grip over an all season tire.

It is unfortunate to learn about the lifespan of winter tires though. If 1 season is an exaggeration, then I would hope the tires last 2 seasons of average use (5k miles per season)? I don’t have a lot of context with winter tires. At $1231, I am sure the Continental Viking Contact 7 would be a better winter tire than the stock Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 tire; but I am not sure if the Pirelli is worth $1903. I am even less certain if the Nokian R5 is worth $2400.

I notice the Continental VikingContact 7 is classified as a studless ice/snow tire, whereas the Pirelli is considered a performance winter/snow tire.

All four yep. The pirelli sotozero are the ones that tesla puts on and they are well rated. I got the standard range ones and as far as I know the only diff between the ones on tirerack and the tesla ones is the tesla ones may have sound-deadening foam. I saw a claim somewhere that these tires may have better mileage than some other winters (all winter will rob range somewhat).

Many people say these tires are only good for a season, so the idea of buying rims, TPMS and swapping out myself regularly has limited practicality anyway if I may only get a season (or two) out and I'm ordering new tires in 1-2 years anyway. I can get tires mounted/balanced for like $130 all in, so on top of $700 or so for these set of tires it would take me many years to get up to have a separate set justified--plus four tires are easier/lighter to deal with in my garage. I'll re-mount the allseasons come march/april.

If I look up that tire on Continentals website - they say it doesn’t fit a MYP. But if I review the sizes they offer; it seems they offer the correct 255/35/21 and 275/35/21 tire. Where did you buy yours from? The Continental tires are way cheaper than the Pirelli and Nokian options, which makes it pretty tempting.

It is unfortunate to learn about the lifespan of winter tires though. If 1 season is an exaggeration, then I would hope the tires last 2 seasons of average use (5k miles per season)? I don’t have a lot of context with winter tires. At $1231, I am sure the Continental Viking Contact 7 would be a better winter tire than the stock Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 tire; but I am not sure if the Pirelli is worth $1903. I am even less certain if the Nokian R5 is worth $2400.

I notice the Continental VikingContact 7 is classified as a studless ice/snow tire, whereas the Pirelli is considered a performance winter/snow tire.
I am on my second season on the Continental Viking Contact 7's, and it looks as though I'm on track to get at least 3 seasons out of them. I am not running the 21" version however, I switched to 19" wheels and the Continentals for my Winter set-up.
I curious look up Tyre reviews on You tube or read the reviews on Tirerack.com on dedicated winter tires vs. All season tires. They're a huge game changer in snow and ice.

Kidding, Mostly... They will wear fast when the temps get warm.
1701897491027.png

• Funny
Reactions: dcfas