Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So camping mode is useless.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed another camping trip.
Things that work:

Do not use Camp Mode!
  • Turn off Lights

• Set Temp to Keep Climate On

• Set to rear vents

• Turn off Walkaway Door Locks

• Turn off Dome lights

• Turn off Sentry

• Turn off Alarm under Safety and Security (scroll down on the screen, below Joe Mode)

DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVERS DOOR once you have set these and are out of the vehicle. If you do you get the pleasure of resetting them again.

Once you are in your bed and comfortable, Press the door locks on your phone app. The car screen will immediately go black.

Enjoy the night sky-views, Good Night

Wait, had a few beverages and you have to go to the bathroom….

Unlock the doors via the Phone app. If you hit the button on the door, your head lights will go on and the car will make its sound. So make sure you unlock from the phone app first. When you return climb back in bed and hit the door lock again on the phone. Remember DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVER DOOR!!!!

You can store your phone on the back seat shelf, or in the door pocket, which ever is easier for you to reach. Door pocket or door handle works well if you are charging your phone via the usb’s for the back seats. Just make sure your cable is long enough.

Be prepared to answer fellow camper questions. I usually leave the doors and trunk open the second night after my wife has made the bed so inquisitive minds can get the answers they were seeking on where we slept last night when they didn’t see a tent.

iphone app doesn't work in remote locations due to loss of network...

I am just about ready to give up camping in my Model 3. Last weekend, I was camping in a location in the WV mountains with no cell and ~ 40+ min drive to the nearest supercharger. It said I had about 140 miles of range when I got there, but, the range never matches the displayed range and in the mountains, it is worse. So, I was worried that if I used camp or other climate control mode overnight, I would wake up with 20% battery and never make it to the supercharger.

Add to that the setup for moving things out of the back seat and trunk takes just as long as setting up a tent, and I am not seeing any real benefit. No climate control due to range anxiety, no entertainment due to no connectivity, no setup advantage since I have to shuffle *everything* around to get the car ready to accomodate me in the back.

I am just about ready to give up camping in my Model 3. Last weekend, I was camping in a location in the WV mountains with no cell and ~ 40+ min drive to the nearest supercharger. It said I had about 140 miles of range when I got there, but, the range never matches the displayed range and in the mountains, it is worse. So, I was worried that if I used camp or other climate control mode overnight, I would wake up with 20% battery and never make it to the supercharger.

Add to that the setup for moving things out of the back seat and trunk takes just as long as setting up a tent, and I am not seeing any real benefit. No climate control due to range anxiety, no entertainment due to no connectivity, no setup advantage since I have to shuffle *everything* around to get the car ready to accomodate me in the back.

It would be nice if camp mode had a configurable minimum range for climate rather than just the 20% especially when planning to climb mountains in the morning (guessing that’s what you meant since descending should improve range). That said, even the lowest range Model 3 would have over 57 miles left at 20% (over 50 even with 13% degradation). Unless you have the off-menu $35k version and have experienced over 9% degradation, you should always have more than 40 miles at 20%. This is all assuming you would be driving no more than 60mph since you switched from minutes to miles in your range anxiety example (might help your concerns if you changed the display to % since it’s less prone to calculation fluctuations).

If you’re still worried, you can get the temp where you like it then shut it off before going to sleep. If you wake up in the middle of the night due to temperature, reach up to the screen and give it a boost for a few minutes then shut it back off. A lot more than you’d be able to do in a tent and, by not carrying the tent, you have room for extra blankets (assuming cold in the mountains). That’s what I did when camping before camp mode or any other climate hold options were added.

As for entertainment, you probably don’t want to look at the screen while bunking in the back so I generally watch stuff I’ve already downloaded to my phone and pipe the audio through the car speakers via BT which which keeps working even without cell coverage.

Fair point on the setup time but you can plan ahead by setting up a good portion before leaving your last charge/food stop (something you can’t really do with a tent) but, more importantly, you’ll save a ton of time during tear down since you don’t have to wipe dew/rain off the tent or air it out when you get home. As you get more practiced, setup will get quicker just like with tent camping but it will be consistent since you don’t have to check each location for detritus, critters, even terrain (maybe a semi-level parking space) before setting up camp.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SO16
I'll bet they figured few people would actually use it. I first car camped in my Honda Odyssey, it was just so cozy and easy. (Most of us have probably been on those family camp outs that were more work and hassle than building a cottage.) I used to just use my backpacking gear. so air mattress, sleeping bag, bag liner, inflatable pillow. In my Prius V the seats don't fold flat so I made a small 'bunk' (1/4" luan ply) It raises me up a bit and I can look out the windows. (and stow gear underneath). When I got the Model Y I just moved the bunk into the Tesla. And a little light went off in my head: I bought a 25 x 75 x 4" Memory foam mattress from Amazon. I think I'm going to sublet my house.
And yeah that campfire is pretty cute for about 32 seconds. I like your tips, but I think I'll just drape a black t-shirt over the screen.

Just completed another camping trip.
Things that work:

Do not use Camp Mode!
  • Turn off Lights

• Set Temp to Keep Climate On

• Set to rear vents

• Turn off Walkaway Door Locks

• Turn off Dome lights

• Turn off Sentry

• Turn off Alarm under Safety and Security (scroll down on the screen, below Joe Mode)

DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVERS DOOR once you have set these and are out of the vehicle. If you do you get the pleasure of resetting them again.

Once you are in your bed and comfortable, Press the door locks on your phone app. The car screen will immediately go black.

Enjoy the night sky-views, Good Night

Wait, had a few beverages and you have to go to the bathroom….

Unlock the doors via the Phone app. If you hit the button on the door, your head lights will go on and the car will make its sound. So make sure you unlock from the phone app first. When you return climb back in bed and hit the door lock again on the phone. Remember DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVER DOOR!!!!

You can store your phone on the back seat shelf, or in the door pocket, which ever is easier for you to reach. Door pocket or door handle works well if you are charging your phone via the usb’s for the back seats. Just make sure your cable is long enough.

Be prepared to answer fellow camper questions. I usually leave the doors and trunk open the second night after my wife has made the bed so inquisitive minds can get the answers they were seeking on where we slept last night when they didn’t see a tent.

But what about having a window open for venting purposes? I found that once I had the doors all locked, I could no longer crack open a window. Or does having climate on with non-recirculating mode take care of that?

But what about having a window open for venting purposes? I found that once I had the doors all locked, I could no longer crack open a window. Or does having climate on with non-recirculating mode take care of that?

I believe the air is non recirculate seeing the windows are not fogging. We keep the windows closed and haven't had any problems in the event it rains, sleets or snows. Plus I don't want the mosquito's having a buffet with us.

Reactions: RobRain
Question: I've yet to actually camp in my 2016-02 Model S, but... My musings are as follows: Can you created a hotspot on your phone with no cell service? If so can you connect the car to that hotspot? Will that get you access to control the various settings you want/need from the back seats when away from cell coverage?

• Love
Reactions: tinkererguy