Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, does it bother anyone else ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news for Californians. The new email I just got from PG&E says as we prepare for another hot summer… the grid could use your help. Here’s a recommendation…
  • Use your microwave to heat food instead of your oven
So warm meals are ok y’all! Or just go get some Powerwalls. So you can bake cookies for dessert.
I'm surprised they don't mention induction ranges, though the microwave should be a bit more efficient.

Oh my, glad to see in this thread that I'm not the only one. Before I had solar, I used to charge my kids a quarter for leaving lights on. I used the 'if you want to leave lights on, then you can help me pay the power bill' argument. However, my wife nixed that after I earned about $30 from the kids. Bathroom fans was one that would run for hours upon hours until I noticed them running. I (mostly) fixed that by installing 5-10-15-20 minute timer switches. I've got about 80% of my house on Kasa smart switches, so I can turn them off when I notice them. However, now that I have solar, it doesn't really bother me as much as it used to.

I most definitely refrain from telling my wife how and when to do laundry and luxurious bath scheduling. I've been married long enough to know what battles can and won't be won, and those that will end up with scars. Not even worth opening the discussion in that arena as I know I will lose, and lose badly.

Now that my older kids have moved out, I have fun leaving lights on at their places ;). Wow, it's amazing the difference in thought from the one who pays the bill to the one who doesn't. @charlesj - at some point that DNA just magically re-appears to be carried on to the next generation :D.

@solarAddict - in addition to those tools above, there is also a RasPi app called Home Assistant, an open-source product (home-assistant.io) that has some pretty awesome dashboards and tie-ins with many smart home products. Below is a dash I have setup to monitor aspects of the system I think are pertinent. The really cool feature of this is that you can tie in all your smart home products into a single dashboard. In the screenshot below, you will see my Ecobee thermostat (quick view of status and can adjust), my Weatherflow Tempest weather station (solar radiation, weather forecast), ubiquiti cameras, and further down the emporia energy monitor system (out of sight in the screenshot). I think that is the most powerfull feature is the multi-vendor integration that allows all the data pertinent to you in a single pane of glass.

For some reason, file uploads are failing... Here's a link to the screenshot from onedrive.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I use plenty in winter with mini-splits for heating. See the chart below.
I can crank the panels up/down, so yes, one-axis but manual not tracked. Figured it was one less thing to break, and gets me out to check everything over about once a week.

There are a few on Github. If memory serves, this is the one I used as a baseline: GitHub - jasonacox/Powerwall-Dashboard: Grafana Dashboard for Tesla Powerwall

View attachment 942977
If anyone here would be able to help me with Grafana Dashboard installation It would be awesome. Have a few questions but don't wanna bother everyone and derailing the discussion.

I tried that on myself, but I ended up declaring bankruptcy. :p

When someone files for bankruptcy protection, their energy bill debts are discharged! Free energy hack for those without solar or batteries.

I Just plug in after lunch. No need for an app to charge EV from solar
Or I could plug in and just set the timer to charge after lunch

Just a reminder about how great solar + Powerwalls + EVs are. It'd be perfect as long as you never interact with the Tesla service centers heh.

1688062607499.png