Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So few Teslas for sale on TMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pikeshadow

Supporting Member
May 19, 2024
Cincinnati, OH
I'm a noob, so bear with me please. I'm surprised that there aren't more vehicles listed on here. Seems like this community would be a much better location than other online listing sites. Is it that not many Tesla owners bother to sell privately?

Thanks!

I joined right after my 2020 purchase. It was peak Covid time. This board has many really informed people about the Tesla S. 4 years later, and I am still learning every day. I was going to buy a Cybertruck, but am not happy with the final specs. Getting an extended warranty and going to keep mine for awhile. Fine car, as long as you don't mind some electronic features subject to programming errors from time to time. Everything can change based on Elon's whim (like removing stalks, bowtie steering wheel, removal of ultrasonic sensors, and radar) . The car itself is fine. I figure having a good warranty will help resale whenever I decide to sell.

Hmm…that’s why I came here - to learn everything possible before buying. (Lots to learn about!)
Nothing worse than joining a forum and finding out the vehicle you just bought is on the “avoid this year” list. 😖
yeap, i joined 1 year before i bought first tesla

my take is its due to $5 fee added not too long ago to post, mods argue its not the case but listings def decreased since then...
also, tmc is pretty small pool for potential buyers...

Well, I’m pretty set on a refresh 2021 MSLR, hopefully with FSD.
I realize there are strong opinions about the classic vertical screen dash and the new horizontal one (not to mention stalks!). I drove both with a fresh mindset, and found the refresh more enjoyable. (I actually drove that one first) On the old style, I found the sliding armrest beyond annoying after 5 min. The lower part of the vertical screen felt obscured by my knee. And the autopilot stalk felt awkward. (Though, the scroll wheels for adjusting the steering wheel and mirrors were more awkward.)

Anyway, if anyone is getting rid of a 2021 refresh MSLR, let me know - I’m ready to buy! Looking at ones from dealers and hoping to find a better deal.

Reactions: Yelobird and byeLT4
It's the worst possible place to post a car for sale. The people here that aren't even looking for a car just rip the cars apart and depress the sellers. The only buyers are low ballers looking to get something for nothing. That's the real reason the for sale section is getting so thin. I had great results selling on the normal sites like Autotrader and Cars.com. Even Craigslist or Facebook are far better than here to sell you car.

I sold my 2015 here back in Feb of 2023. I also had it listed on Autotrader, CL, and maybe cars.com. I had a few interested parties from the other sites but no deal. It was free to list here back then, but I'd probably pay the $5 when it's time to part ways with my 2019. In the grand scheme of things, $5 is a pittance as part of the total cost of ownership.

I do notice that many car sites that offer classifieds have people who overvalue their cars when listing them for sale, and that trend can discourage people from even bothering to look.

I'll state the obvious: TMC charges to list in the Marketplace now (which isn't the worst thing ever, helps to keep the spam/scams down IMHO) but they also seemingly have very little desire to enforce their rule about thread crapping on listings from those who just paid to use their service.

Few people are willing to pay to be met with toxicity about the price they set on what they are willing to accept for their vehicle. It's theirs, after all, and if they want to list a higher price and sit on it for months... well... that's their right. Allowing others who may or may not even have interest in buying the car to thread crap publicly has run most of the people off and the Marketplace is now a ghost town, predictably.

It's a shame this toxicity by a few trolls has been allowed to thrive as it's created an environment that new members want nothing to do with. The result is that we all lose because nobody wants to list their vehicle and deal with the backlash of daring to state publicly what they'd accept to part with their car.

Last edited:
Admins could eliminate for sale thread crapping by not allowing replies in for sale threads by anyone but the seller. If you want to contact the seller, PM them. Though since admins have also set a minimum post count requirement to PM someone, that also restricts who can interact with the seller. The buyer of my car (and probably a lot of prospective buyers) will be new to the community and may not have any other posts yet to meet that minimum. They could then eliminate the minimum post count to PM, but then we're all open to general PM spam by bots.

That said, I think restricting the replies in the Teslas for sale section and removing the minimum post count from being able to PM someone is probably the best compromise to encourage people to list their vehicles for sale (and shell out $5), but I don't have any idea how bad the potential PM spam problem would be with with things set up this way.

Reactions: vcor
Success.
I’d forgot how painful it is dealing with regular car dealerships. What should have been a 30-60 min process ended up taking 4 hours. But, I made it home perfectly fine…albeit 5 hours later than planned.

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    767.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    799.3 KB · Views: 2
members that post honest listings with correct pricing don't get hate comments
everyone else deserves them lol
if they wanna scam or price gouge potential uneducated buyers they can go somewhere else
forum is like a family, we're here to protect and educate each other :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
members that post honest listings with correct pricing don't get hate comments
everyone else deserves them lol
if they wanna scam or price gouge potential uneducated buyers they can go somewhere else
forum is like a family, we're here to protect and educate each other :)
"Correct pricing" for an item is what the owner is willing to accept and a buyer is willing to pay.

You aren't the arbiter of that figure.

That attitude has successfully run off almost all of the sellers so... Good job?

Reactions: Yelobird