Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Like it has been a month, and how many new Model 3s are out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla builds amazing cars. They don't have a great record for meeting timelines. I'm okay with this because I'd rather have to wait some extra time while they work out the bugs than meet an arbitrary timeline goal and have bugs in the car. I'm as impatient as the next guy, but the reality is that Tesla is going to take the time to get it right. IIRC, my estimated delivery is the first quarter of 2018 if I take the RWD. I fully expect it to be the second quarter due to as-yet unforeseen delays. It will do me no good to get upset about delays, so I'm just setting my expectation low on delivery date. My expectation on the amazingness of this car is very high.
Its a shame when delays and missing dates become the norm for a company.

I suppose having everything be a "stretch goal" comes with the territory when trying to lead the industry.
If they just tried to be safe and predictable they likely wouldn't have such a crazy market cap.

Reactions: gambit48
Side note: The employees may not be under NDA's (though I bet they are), but they have to know that it would be career suicide to post anything negative (or possibly to post anything at all) on a public website.

With the number of employees in the company, and they surely talk to each other, it would be impossible to keep any really big negatives a secret. A sufficiently disgruntled employee (say, one who ends up with a lemon) likely wouldn't care about his career with the company.

Its a shame when delays and missing dates become the norm for a company.

Why? Timeline goals are arbitrary. It's probably better public relations to promise late and deliver early than to promise early and deliver late, but what really matters are quality and performance. Other companies deliver "on time" (i.e. they're better at accurately assessing how long it will take to bring a car to market) and they deliver cars that are not as safe, don't perform as well, and run on stinky petroleum.

It would be nice to know exactly when I'm going to get my car. But it's far more important to get a safe, reliable car that's fun to drive and does not contribute to global climate change. (Here in the PNW my electricity comes from hydro.)

First delivery was July 7th, Elon's car. The next 30 were July 28th.

SN 1 was never announced as a "delivery" event. Tesla only announced that it should be "complete" that week--and that was 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

(Source: Elon tweet)

The expectation was always that the first "deliveries" would take place at the end of July. At the time I was surprised by how many people were saying the car was "delivered" when Tesla never claimed that would be the case.

3DD4F977-DE6E-4696-8E84-8AEE28E5A24B.jpeg

I don’t know if that means they produced over 300 cars already...

Reactions: Vern Padgett
With the number of employees in the company, and they surely talk to each other, it would be impossible to keep any really big negatives a secret. A sufficiently disgruntled employee (say, one who ends up with a lemon) likely wouldn't care about his career with the company.

Why? Timeline goals are arbitrary. It's probably better public relations to promise late and deliver early than to promise early and deliver late, but what really matters are quality and performance. Other companies deliver "on time" (i.e. they're better at accurately assessing how long it will take to bring a car to market) and they deliver cars that are not as safe, don't perform as well, and run on stinky petroleum.

It would be nice to know exactly when I'm going to get my car. But it's far more important to get a safe, reliable car that's fun to drive and does not contribute to global climate change. (Here in the PNW my electricity comes from hydro.)

So there may not be an NDA, but maybe Elon sent out an email or something saying that it would be in the bests interests of everyone to keep any "issues" internal. Then a line mentioning future employment, followed by a huge ;)

Tesla is so far ahead of deliveries in my and Elon's original expectations. I was hoping for a mid 2018 delivery based on 75,000 to 100,000 reservations. That was also based on the original goal of a rate of 500k at the end of 2020. Even Elon laughed and joked when he said July 2017 for the first deliveries.

I would totally buy this if it were 3,4 or 5 employees. But 30, especially in a young-employee-tech-infused company like Tesla that are completely absent from social media? Even if I grant you thad, we are already up to 130 now. None one twitter/instagram/snap? It just becomes a numbers game. Next week, if everything is according to schedule, there will be 500 employees with a Model 3 and none of them is active on social media? That's just as likely as winning the powerball.

Maybe you're not looking hard enough?

Instagram post by J • Aug 30, 2017 at 6:16pm UTC

There are posts out there that show we are beyond the "First 30" cars.....

Exactly. And despite all tthose deliveries beyond 30, no employee-owners that post anything on their social media. Just strengthens my point that there is something that prevents them from doing so, could be NDA but granted, could just as well be oppressive company culture. It's basically the same thing with the same result.

You might not care being lied to by anyone. unless its by someone in a forum.

How about this: you will get your configurator on Sept 15th and you will you will get your car on November 12th.

Who cares if I'm right ......correct?

Exactly. And despite all tthose deliveries beyond 30, no employee-owners that post anything on their social media. Just strengthens my point that there is something that prevents them from doing so, could be NDA but granted, could just as well be oppressive company culture. It's basically the same thing with the same result.

It's almost certain that it's an NDA.

Because I know if it was me who had one of the 1st 100 or so Model 3's, and every auto publication on the planet was falling all over themselves to get a hold of one....

I would offer mine up for the afternoon, for the right price.

But honestly, I'm not going to sweat it until we get to mid-October and we haven't seen any non-employees at least get invited to configure.

Until then, I have to get the electrician out to my place to install my HPWC, just in case my "Nov-Jan" window is accurate.

Or it could be a supportive company culture, where the employees believe in the company mission and support it. How many Tesla employees do you know? I know a bunch.

From your experience then, what motivates the Tesla employee, proud of their company and their products, that just got the keys of the most anticipated car of the decade (century?) to be in complete silence about it? I totally understand them not putting on a review or exact measurements of the panel gaps. Just a simple tweet : "Finally got my Model 3, worth the wait!" or something like that? What would motivate them from even refraining from that. Maybe you of the employees you know already has one?

Reactions: Vern Padgett
It's almost certain that it's an NDA.

Because I know if it was me who had one of the 1st 100 or so Model 3's, and every auto publication on the planet was falling all over themselves to get a hold of one....

I would offer mine up for the afternoon, for the right price.

But honestly, I'm not going to sweat it until we get to mid-October and we haven't seen any non-employees at least get invited to configure.

Until then, I have to get the electrician out to my place to install my HPWC, just in case my "Nov-Jan" window is accurate.

It reminds me of the period leading up to the Gen 2 Volt release. Employees were driving around pre-production units months ahead of the official release. One employee posted some photos and stuff in the Volt Owners Facebook group. The next day all her posts and photos were gone, and she was never heard from again. Lol She obviously did not read the NDA carefully.

Of course, those were pre-production units that didn't count as official deliveries, so the NDA made sense.

It reminds me of the period leading up to the Gen 2 Volt release. Employees were driving around pre-production units months ahead of the official release. One employee posted some photos and stuff in the Volt Owners Facebook group. The next day all her posts and photos were gone, and she was never heard from again. Lol She obviously did not read the NDA carefully.

Of course, those were pre-production units that didn't count as official deliveries, so the NDA made sense.

I guess at this point, people are just running out of stuff to complain about. We were told no one was going to see a Model 3 until 2018...then they "rethought" production plans, and we were told employees and the inner circle would get dibs until at least October....and that's where we're at.

We haven't deviated from that yet, so what are people even complaining about...?

Seriously guys, thread title should be
"So Like no bad news means we're still good, right?"

These are extremely weak excuses. Time has value. People make plans based on promised timelines. Some may have sold their cars, or planned otherwise. These things happen frequently due to delayed delivery of even Model S&X, so not really new for Tesla. But it doesn't make it painless.
Ex1: You booked a limo for airport drop off. The driver shows up two hours late, gives you your excuse "Sorry, I took the the car to a car spa, so you have the best experience". All right, but you miss your flight :(
Ex2: Your plane is delayed by 3 hours, you will miss your connecting flight. The airlines says, we were getting the red wine for the flight, were cleaning up the seats, blah blah.

The point is, when timeline is promised, the quality and performance are already implied within that timeline.

As for M3 real production:
I will also watch for Ebay listings. So far I see 0. Surely, some employees/early owners will be tempted to flip their cars for a tidy profit when there is a 400k+ waiting list, and people outside CA will be willing to pay big bucks for it. Early Model X showed up on Ebay pretty quickly. IF they really bought their cars, they will be free to sell it to anyone.

Last edited: