Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Like it has been a month, and how many new Model 3s are out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You seem to think they are late for some reason. They've given an estimated date for first deliveries which most did not think they'd hit. They hit it.

Other than that Elon said they'd go for 100 deliveries this month. We don't know if they will hit it.

Then there is your estimated date, have they missed that?

At this point you don't have any missed dates to complain about. When you gave them your money this is the absolute best you could have hoped for. Now you seem to be whining that Elon isn't updating you often enough.
Herr Proud25,
We don't know why we don't know about August deliveries.
I believe that we all would be so much more happy (happier) with Tesla if would, like (that's for you Gras Helm-- ,,Grass Helmet"?) share something or other besides their boring posts, the latest of which was "Tesla Welcomes Linda Johnson Rice and James Murdoch as New Independent Directors to its Board" ...

If you are suggesting a re-write, how about a sentence without the meaningless of "like", which someone actually took the time to write? Meanwhile, on another thread, to save time, somone wrote "peanut butter and jelly" instead of simply "jealous". Elsewhere, the M3 was declared a "funner" car. I'd like to know what are all of these folks' native languages?:confused::eek: o_O
Words are, like, important.

From your experience then, what motivates the Tesla employee, proud of their company and their products, that just got the keys of the most anticipated car of the decade (century?) to be in complete silence about it? I totally understand them not putting on a review or exact measurements of the panel gaps. Just a simple tweet : "Finally got my Model 3, worth the wait!" or something like that? What would motivate them from even refraining from that. Maybe you of the employees you know already has one?
That's pretty much where I was coming from when I started this thread.
We really would appreciate any information, Tesla.

It's almost certain that it's an NDA. Because I know if it was me who had one of the 1st 100 or so Model 3's, and every auto publication on the planet was falling all over themselves to get a hold of one.... I would offer mine up for the afternoon, for the right price.
What now, you were in the first 100?
Can you tell us how you were in that group?

You seem to think they are late for some reason. They've given an estimated date for first deliveries which most did not think they'd hit. They hit it.

Other than that Elon said they'd go for 100 deliveries this month. We don't know if they will hit it.

Then there is your estimated date, have they missed that?

At this point you don't have any missed dates to complain about. When you gave them your money this is the absolute best you could have hoped for. Now you seem to be whining that Elon isn't updating you often enough.
Late according to what? Their own timetable - no. Long time since March 2016 - absolutely considering march 2018 is right around the corner.

• Funny
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I get that everyone here is super anxious. We should appreciate the delivery scheme Tesla has chosen here, because it significantly increases the odds that you will get a higher quality car. With the early production models going to employees with a direct channel to affect change this means more issues can be discovered and actually fixed BEFORE the big ramp up. Brilliant.

Why? Timeline goals are arbitrary. It's probably better public relations to promise late and deliver early than to promise early and deliver late, but what really matters are quality and performance. Other companies deliver "on time" (i.e. they're better at accurately assessing how long it will take to bring a car to market) and they deliver cars that are not as safe, don't perform as well, and run on stinky petroleum.
Problems occur when timelines are stated as facts, rather than goals. Such as definitively indicating full self driving features will diverge from standard Autopilot in 6 months time, not delivering on that, and giving no indication as to what happened when the date is missed.

People will naturally be upset when you fail to follow through on your word, and it gives them reason to not believe what you say going forward.

Of course as far as the Model 3 is concerned, we've received no information to suggest they're not hitting their production goals (and they've been forthright in stating that it's very difficult to predict the ramp rate regardless).

Reactions: kablammyman
So with all the secrecy and NDA etc., I think we can all agree on one thing:
Tesla's production M3 stage is same as other OEM's pre-production stage

I would point out that the expectation has been built by Elon himself. This 30/100/1500 are the moved goal posts. Last year, Elon announced to the world that he expects to build 100k-200k Model 3 in second half of 2017! He hasn't updated people with any reason for delays. It was only after much prodding that he tweeted out, almost reluctantly it seems, the new goal posts.

With the iron man image he has built for himself, most people, particularly the fans, fell for it. Now some want to blame the fans for falling for it? Okay :)
Elon Musk: Tesla Model 3 Production Target Is Up To 200,000 In Second Half Of 2017
Elon Musk May 2016 said:
So as a rough guess, I would say we would aim to produce 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of next year. That’s my expectation right now.

I can think of good reasons to slow down the M3 ramp. Tesla wants to convert as much of the M3 crowd to Model S&X as it can, to keep the sales going. Also because the losses with M3 will be lot more severe. There is really no reason to hurry up on ramping up M3. Saving the planet with mass market electric cars? That's just a marketing slogan.

So with all the secrecy and NDA etc., I think we can all agree on one thing:
Tesla's production M3 stage is same as other OEM's pre-production stage

I would point out that the expectation has been built by Elon himself. This 30/100/1500 are the moved goal posts. Last year, Elon announced to the world that he expects to build 100k-200k Model 3 in second half of 2017! He hasn't updated people with any reason for delays. It was only after much prodding that he tweeted out, almost reluctantly it seems, the new goal posts.

With the iron man image he has built for himself, most people, particularly the fans, fell for it. Now some want to blame the fans for falling for it? Okay :)
Elon Musk: Tesla Model 3 Production Target Is Up To 200,000 In Second Half Of 2017

I can think of good reasons to slow down the M3 ramp. Tesla wants to convert as much of the M3 crowd to Model S&X as it can, to keep the sales going. Also because the losses with M3 will be lot more severe. There is really no reason to hurry up on ramping up M3. Saving the planet with mass market electric cars? That's just a marketing slogan.
I have to say that even I remember wrong or he have change that goal, as I believe it he have said 100 to 200 000 the first year in production wish would mean until the last June 2018. Couldn't you say that his latest talk about 20 000 cars in December is a warning that Tesla won't reach 100 to 200 thousand this year?

Tesla have every reason to ramp up production, most of the reservation holders can't buy a car for double the price and the investors expect Tesla to be a big company with sales around half a million per year and not 100k per year, something they can't do with Model S and Model X alone.

I would point out that the expectation has been built by Elon himself. This 30/100/1500 are the moved goal posts. Last year, Elon announced to the world that he expects to build 100k-200k Model 3 in second half of 2017!

Yet that was a significantly moved up schedule versus what had previously been announced. Musk has also talked about the importance of setting aggressive targets, with meaningful penalties for suppliers failing, because there are so many parts that some delays are almost inevitable, and you can't count on them not happening.

I think we may have just found out the answer as to whether Model 3 employee-owners are under an NDA or not: Labor Board Files Complaint Against Tesla

"The complaint also cites Tesla’s confidentiality agreement, which says workers are prohibited from communicating with the media, sharing photos of their work facility on social media, and forwarding work emails to personal accounts."

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
[...] Last year, Elon announced to the world that he expects to build 100k-200k Model 3 in second half of 2017! He hasn't updated people with any reason for delays. [...]

"expects" is the operative word here. He didn't say he promised. He didn't say he would. He said he expected.

With the iron man image he has built for himself, most people, particularly the fans, fell for it. [...]

Iron man? You mean like Tony Stark? I suppose there's a very tenuous parallel between Tony's IronMan flying suit and Space X's rockets, but the fact is that anyone who follows Musk knows that he's a chrono-optimist. He always expects things to get done before they do. Only someone very new to following Tesla expects Tesla to get things done when Musk expects them to.

Like the road signs say, I expect delays. And then, in good time, I expect smooth driving.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Late according to what? Their own timetable - no. Long time since March 2016 - absolutely considering march 2018 is right around the corner.

What would you go by besides their own timetable? I believe when we ordered they had an optimistic deadline that deliveries would stsrt sometime this year. If you didn't like that schedule, seems pretty silly to order since it was about the best you could hope for.

You have that exactly backwards. The only reason they are pushing people away from the Model 3 right now is that they don't have any to sell them. The faster they ramp the Model 3, the better for Tesla.

Couldn't you say that his latest talk about 20 000 cars in December is a warning that Tesla won't reach 100 to 200 thousand this year?

But if they get to 20k cars/month at the end of December, they will deliver 120k Model 3s between January, 2018 and June, 2018. (And that assume that they don't speed production up even more which they are planning to do.)

But if they get to 20k cars/month at the end of December, they will deliver 120k Model 3s between January, 2018 and June, 2018. (And that assume that they don't speed production up even more which they are planning to do.)
According to the article Elon said 100-200k Model 3 in the second half of 2017, wish means before the 31th December wish I believe is impossible. I really hope that they get over 100k before the end of June 2018