Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So my first week of Tesla ownership....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my model 3 about a week ago from Park Royal

Genuinely atrocious handover experience

Got told they ran out of type 2 adaptors and they'd mail one out in a totally matter of fact way. No apology, no full explanation to how this could happen. When I raised that this means I'd have to supercharge at tesla every time which is more inconvenient and also more expensive. I got a shrug.
Atrocious because of the adaptor ? It that was the only problem you did well.

I assume you are talking the 3pin to type 2 adaptor, kind of important if you don't have a charger at home.

If you mean the standard type 2 charging cable - I have used it twice in 14 months. Maybe I have been lucky but the public chargers I have infrequently used have typically been tethered.

I tend to ignore the untethered supermarket ones because a) they are so low powered that by the time I have done my shopping I've added 2 miles range b) cant be bothered getting cable out of boot unpacking, it then later repacking it etc and c) if it's tesco you need to play around with pod point for it to even charge)

Last edited:
Picked up my model 3 about a week ago from Park Royal

Genuinely atrocious handover experience

Got told they ran out of type 2 adaptors and they'd mail one out in a totally matter of fact way. No apology, no full explanation to how this could happen. When I raised that this means I'd have to supercharge at tesla every time which is more inconvenient and also more expensive. I got a shrug.

same thing happened to me. The chap mentioned there was an adapter missing. When I look on the Tesla website it shows the different cables that are supplied and the only adapter it mentions is the ccs2 which the model 3 doesn’t need (I assumed by his general attitude that he didn’t know this).... So I need to be asking for a type 2 adapter??

You need a type 2 to type 2 cable, normally grey or blue and supplied in a flat clear plastic bag.

You also need the UMC, a brick of plastic with long lead and an additional shot lead. Supplied in a smallish black storage case.

If you don't have them, try the boot at the front :D

yes I have both of those and assumed that’s all I needed until tabpharmer mentioned a type 2 adapter. Is that a type 1 to 2 adapter?

same thing happened to me. The chap mentioned there was an adapter missing. When I look on the Tesla website it shows the different cables that are supplied and the only adapter it mentions is the ccs2 which the model 3 doesn’t need (I assumed by his general attitude that he didn’t know this).... So I need to be asking for a type 2 adapter??

Here's what you need to know:
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 18.28.07.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 18.28.30.png

This from: Charging Connectors

Reactions: Gasman23
Thats great thanks for the responses. So My hunch was right...the Tesla chap didn’t know what he was on about. I guess they skimped on his training. Customer service skills and product knowledge severely lacking

Do you have a model 3 or Model S or X ? iirc the latter now come with a CCS adaptor as they have a different charge port socket which is not compatible with CCS plugs without an adaptor. Model 3 doesn't need that as it is CCS socket which is compatible with a type 2 plug.