Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people are having connectivity issues?

Are you having connectivity issues?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had a try of a modem test - which does a reset/power cycle of it. And can confirm it is at least dead to any response, can see it retrying and getting no response (Linux commands show in the output and something I am very familiar with ;) )

I am also going to pursue Tesla under the Restraint System Warranty which is 5 years, it is clearly showing an error that the "restraint system may not function as designed" as a fault under the Emergency Notifcation Signal notice
1707146236413.png

;)

Last edited:
May just be luck but my 2018 MCU1 Model S has been fine for a couple of weeks now. Hasn’t lost connection in places where it did before - it really didn’t like M3 Southbound by A303 exit, failed there on every trip.

I’ve had a good few issues just after the 1 year used car warranty expired and got absolutely nowhere with goodwill - just said no for weeks - pay or live with the problem.

Hello, Tesla owners from the other side of the Earth! I live in Shanghai, China, and I own a Model X 75D. In the past month, my car has encountered the same issue as many of you. The 4G signal disconnects after 15 to 30 minutes of use. However, sometimes, when I connect to a WIFI hotspot for 5 minutes, the 4G signal is restored, then, disconnect again after 15 to 30 minutes, and the issue repeats. Tesla in China uses China Unicom's 4G network. I have contacted Tesla's service team but have not received a satisfactory answer. I initially suspected a malfunction in the vehicle's modem until I saw everyone's information here. I am more inclined to believe that this is caused by Tesla's software rather than a hardware issue or a problem with the cellular providers.

A month ago, the network in my vehicle was functioning normally until a recent OTA was performed. Unlike OTA before Christmas in Western countries, Tesla in China typically releases updates before the Chinese Lunar New Year. I hope the next OTA update can resolve this issue. If not, I may have to visit Tesla's service center and replace the modem, which would cost me approximately 3,000 RMB, or around 400 USD.o_O

Reactions: philip295
Hello, Tesla owners from the other side of the Earth! I live in Shanghai, China, and I own a Model X 75D. In the past month, my car has encountered the same issue as many of you. The 4G signal disconnects after 15 to 30 minutes of use. However, sometimes, when I connect to a WIFI hotspot for 5 minutes, the 4G signal is restored, then, disconnect again after 15 to 30 minutes, and the issue repeats. Tesla in China uses China Unicom's 4G network. I have contacted Tesla's service team but have not received a satisfactory answer. I initially suspected a malfunction in the vehicle's modem until I saw everyone's information here. I am more inclined to believe that this is caused by Tesla's software rather than a hardware issue or a problem with the cellular providers.

A month ago, the network in my vehicle was functioning normally until a recent OTA was performed. Unlike OTA before Christmas in Western countries, Tesla in China typically releases updates before the Chinese Lunar New Year. I hope the next OTA update can resolve this issue. If not, I may have to visit Tesla's service center and replace the modem, which would cost me approximately 3,000 RMB, or around 400 USD.o_O
well, we will of course report if anything changes...

you can check the issue, once you lost your signa, if you go into the service menu

Tesla just closed my service request with no actual response to goodwill or why I would pay for the modem work twice effectively. No response to the query about the impact on the SRS components either.
Have re-raised it again with them with the Emergency system being the primary concern.

The sceptic in me finds it "coincidental" that my car now just stops talking to my wifi in the middle of the night too now (so scheduled charging stops) - same thing with the hotspot, it refuses to automatically connect to my phone which I was using as the interim solution.
The home wifi thing is weird, as I am not talking about some Talktalk supplied router here - I have a full semi-pro Unifi setup here and I can see it just dropping off in my connection logs at the time whereas everything else on the same access point is remaining connected no issues.

Wi-Fi acting up here too. It seems to lose my home WiFi details altogether when I select my phone hotspot. Not that it matters much, I haven’t gone back to premium since the issues started and hotspot is working ok now I have figured out its quirks

Wi-Fi acting up here too. It seems to lose my home WiFi details altogether when I select my phone hotspot. Not that it matters much, I haven’t gone back to premium since the issues started and hotspot is working ok now I have figured out its quirks

That was happening to me whilst using phone as hotspot. On returning to house phone wouldn’t reconnect to home WiFi automatically, had to be manually selected. Currently using the car’s connectivity again though as it seems to be reasonably robust…

I had high hopes this issue was resolved as the drive to and from the Tesla SC (16 mles away) didnt throw up any issues. Spotify played perfectly and navigation was no issue either. Driving around at the weekend no issues...However this morning's drive to work (Only 5 miles away) spotify wouldnt skip tracks, and then wouldnt connect. At work in the car park, the app wont connect to the car so still experiancing connectivity issues. My work phone (EE) is fine 5G strong signal, and my personal phone (O2 carrier) also has signal (not as good mind) so i cant see it being a signal in the area issue. If still having issues in another week i will raise another request.

Indeed I thought it might have been resolved but I lost connectivity on a very short local drive which I know never goes out of mobile signal range. Seems it's still not fixed. Should we all reopen our service requests? Has there been an official announcement that they believe it's resolved?

Not really certain what the connectivity issues manifest as, but yesterday when I was driving to Rushden Lakes I lost map data for about 5 mins whilst approaching Peterborough. Only time i've seen any sort of issues with connectivity, and it could easily have been poor signal.

Mugged off response from Tesla, and the service request closed straight away!

"Hi
Thank you for you contacting Tesla. The reported concern has been linked with a firmware bug which our engineering team are currently investigating. They will send out an updated firmware revision once they have a fix for it, of which we currently do not have an ETA. When you see the yellow clock on your screen, please install this firmware whilst your vehicle will be parked and connected to good Wi-Fi signal. As a booking is not needed, we will remove this request from the system"

Had the modem replaced yesterday - absolutely no loss of connectivity on the way home now and no longer needing to tether to my phone.
The saving going via the SOS function as the attack point was around £150 which was considerable IMO - a third off - as I am out of warranty.
Modem could be replaced yourself - assuming a level of competency and has a part cost of around £80+VAT - toolbox/coding was not required according to the tech I spoke to, it's a separate plugin card that goes on the MCU - bit like a PC expansion card.

Anecdotally, while speaking with the engineer in the coffee/waiting room on pickup another customer piped up and asked if that would fix his issue too - Model Y with intermittent connectivity issues being his fault - so this issue is still very much out there beyond us "nerds" who gather on the internet to bitch about it :D