Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So my wheel "stuck" after curb rash wheel repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rubbed one of the rims on my Model 3 on a curb, so decided to get it fixed. Had a service that comes to your house do the repair. They said they needed to be able to rotate the wheel (rear passenger), so they asked me to turn on "Towing mode". I did so and he jacked up the passenger rear of the car. Wheel spins freely. He worked about 40 minutes, once done, the wheel looked 99.5% fixed. I'm happy. I let the car sit for maybe 4-5 hours while I worked as he asked to wait before putting the aero cap on.

It's time to pick up my son, so I pop the aero cap on and put the car in reverse - it won't move. When I press the accelerator, I can feel the passenger rear wheel is stuck while all others are trying to move (the car kind of "tilts"). I give it a little more go, but it's not moving. At this point, I assume something is wrong with the release of towing mode or the brake is somehow still engaged. After basic troubleshoot (enable/disable towing mode, computer reboot), I make an appointment with Tesla roadside assistance hoping they know something I don't. After some texts, they say "contact service". I put in a service request which is for Friday.

My wife asks, "why don't you call the guy who fixed your rim?" Good idea, I was thinking to do that. I call him up, "just give it some gas, the wheel is stuck". I pushed back, but he insisted. I got in the car and gave it more go...the car moved back a little and DRAGGED the stuck wheel backwards. This time I gave it more go, POP, it breaks loose. Sigh...so he says the clear coat sometimes makes the wheel stick, especially since I let it sit for a number of hours. Wheel makes ticking noises for a while on my drive, but has basically gone away as it weared away the area that had issue.

I'm mechanically inclined, I get it...the brake stuck to the rotor. But honestly, this did not cross my mind as I didn't assume the rotor would be sprayed or that it could stick THAT hard.

Anyway, tale for anyone who may see this and it helps them or "yeah, happened to me too", or "the dude shouldn't have sprayed your rotors".

• Informative
Reactions: house9
Yeah, the wheel repair folks just hose the whole thing down with clearcoat to blend the spot repair so there'll be clear on everything, lug nuts, calipers, rotors, etc. The wheel was probably rotated at some point getting clear under the brake pad and then the brakes clamped down on the sticky stuff when it was put in park. The same thing happens with rust sometimes if a car is parked with wet rotors for many days.

No harm done. The pads chewed the clear right off and other than a funny skid mark in your driveway everything is fine. Nothing gets stressed from having to goose it to break a wheel free as the drivetrain is designed to take far greater forces than that. Glad you weren't parallel parked in a tight spot at the time!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Sad that it would have taken the guy only a few minutes to mask off the brake rotor with some thin plastic sheet, like they do with PlastiDip, but he couldn’t be bothered. Oh well, that’s “pros” for you.

1621472838705.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed, I do wish even just a plastic bag was put around the rotor. But I guess that involves taking off the rim.

Absolutely do NOT need to take off the wheel to mask the rotors. If you were to take the wheel off, you would do the repair with the wheel away from the car so you don't need to mask anything on the car, which is what I would do.

But if you are going to do the work with the wheel on the car, you absolutely should mask the rotors. Watch this video starting at 2:58. Maybe you can text it to the dude so he can do better for other clients. It took him just over 1 min.