Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So this happened yesterday...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the car on December 8th. Hit 10,000 miles this morning pulling into work. I may need a Model 3 to replace this car if I keep driving so much!
IMG_0704.JPG

I have no screen shot at the moment but I am at 21,000 miles now, ten months after delivery. Of those ten months I was out of the country for four of them, so I actually dove 21,000 miles in six months. At my rate I'm even imagining an interim S to replace my present one before the 3 arrives! I do want to preserve CPO eligibility for my present S so I need to reduce driving or something. During my decades of cars, more than 60 different ones, I have never driven one so much as my P85D. I also have withdrawal every time I leave it. Right now I am in Rio de Janeiro and have a serious "Jones".

I wonder what percentage of us travel by car much more now that we have our Teslas.

I, for one, used to have an airplane that I used for all but local trips. Then came Tesla: I no longer really want to go through the hassle of constant maintenance (of aircraft and pilot) when it is almost as much fun and vastly cheaper to go by P85D.

I know at least two other airplane pilot Tesla owners who are behaving similarly.

I wonder. What do you all think explains our high usage relative to typical cars?

I took delivery of my 70D in June, and I expect to hit 30,000miles any day now. I do have a long commute, but I've never put this many miles on a car in less than 10 months. I do find myself finding excuses to drive more places. I also make frequent business trips to Maine. I used to fly myself or else go commercially; now driving is more fun.

We have conciously taken the car on trips where we used to fly. Besides being cheaper it is a much more enjoyable trip and we don't have to worry about what to pack. In fact I think my wife would take the kitchen sink if I let her :). Lots of space to transport gear. I also think the charging regimen has made the trips more relaxing. More time spent stretching and resting really reduces the stress of the overall trip. We love it!

I also think the charging regimen has made the trips more relaxing. More time spent stretching and resting really reduces the stress of the overall trip.

I completely agree with this. It definitely makes the trip longer, but if you plan for the extra time, the trip is overall much more enjoyable. We've been up to NY and back, down to South Carolina twice, and on one of those trips, all the way down to Cape Canaveral. We intend to take more driving trips now that we have this car.