Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what happens when multiple X's park next to each other?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, though, it was a pretty cryptic tweet.

Hmm....I thought it was pretty clear in the context of the question.

Of course Tesla vehicles recognize each other. Yes. Yes. YES! We've known this (at least subconsciously) for a while based on all sorts of other discussions and hints and clues given over the years. So, if two X's are parked closely beside each other and the occupants decide to have a FWD opening 'race', the X's will recognize each other and depending on their hierarchy status in the herd one will concede to the other, or both will 'share' the space, or it's a fight to the death.

... Or maybe he meant that whatever object that is next to the FWD, regardless of if it's a wall, another regular car door, or another MX with FWDs closed, open or in the process of opening the car will map and recognize the impeding collision and mitigate.

To state that the car "knows" that what it is next to is another MX is more of a philosophical question, an issue of epistemology. But the car recognizes that next to it is another object with the surface contour of a falcon wing door in its given position and acts accordingly.

*cracks knuckles and opens Photoshop*

3-modelx-doors.jpg

Lined up the ghost Model X's with the wheels of the non-Model X vehicles in the original shot... which even gives the X in the middle an advantage since it is parked back further towards the camera, technically.

Pretty sure this door opening is impossible in the real physical world... unless they can somehow phase out of normal space-time like in this photo I don't think you'll be opening both Model X's doors even in a normal parking spot since the door would be something like a full foot past the other Model X's door. One at a time, sure, but not at the same time. No way. Not when parked next to each other, even normally. Would need more than a normal amount of space for this.

Pretty sure this door opening is impossible in the real physical world... unless they can somehow phase out of normal space-time like in this photo I don't think you'll be opening both Model X's doors even in a normal parking spot since the door would be something like a full foot past the other Model X's door. One at a time, sure, but not at the same time. No way. Not when parked next to each other, even normally. Would need more than a normal amount of space for this.

Right, I agree. It's possible that the doors will stagger themselves, but then the upper door can't close until the neighboring (lower) door closes first.

That said, I do agree with many in this thread. It's not much different than what we have today - if you park next to someone and they're opening the door, you wait until they've exited. I run into this situation not infrequently.

...and I await with bated breath the first video of a pair...trio...quartet of Xs performing a modulated door-dance, set to Saint-Saens's The Swan, or perhaps Tchaikovski's Swan Lake (Act I Waltz? Or perhaps Dance of the Cygnets?). Pass the popcorn.