Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who actually has configured their P or AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn’t induction+permanent also the same as the AWD, though? In terms of just the drive system I think the P may have identical hardware to the AWD. Even the inverter is probably the same part but for the P is selected from the cream of the crop and given a more thorough initial test. My guess is that some AWD vehicles could theoretically do ~3.5s to 60 like the P if their SW were unlocked and their inverters could take it.
There may also be beefed up wiring and/or other electrical components to handle the higher current. Plus, pushing the non-P motors too hard might cause them to fail much sooner, even if everything else is the same.

There may also be beefed up wiring and/or other electrical components to handle the higher current. Plus, pushing the non-P motors too hard might cause them to fail much sooner, even if everything else is the same.
Judging by the fact that they didn't even want to vary the color of the brakes to simplify the manufacturing line; and they literally will be installing the performance spoiler at the service center; Elon quote "Complexity is the Devil". I kindof think the actual hardware including the wiring of the P and AWD are going to be identical. The only difference that Elon specifically mentioned was the cherry picking of the motors themselves; which they have to run diagnostics on anyways before installing in the car so was easy to do and is not even truly a different part for the robots to handle in the manufacturing line.

So if his only mentionable difference is a part that isn't truly different; I have to think its all going to be the same parts. (other than now the fact that the P WILL have red calipers due to social media pressure).

Last edited:
Judging by the fact that they didn't even want to vary the color of the brakes to simplify the manufacturing line; and they literally will be installing the performance spoiler at the service center; Elon quote "Complexity is the Devil". I kindof think the actual hardware including the wiring of the P and AWD are going to be identical. The only difference that Elon specifically mentioned was the cherry picking of the motors themselves; which they have to run diagnostics on anyways before installing in the car so was easy to do and is not even truly a different part for the robots to handle in the manufacturing line.

So if his only mentionable difference is a part that isn't truly different; I have to think its all going to be the same parts. (other than now the fact that the P WILL have red calipers due to social media pressure).
I hope not.

Performance vs. AWD difference is a spoiler and red brake calipers?

$10K for spoiler
$10K for colored calipers?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
The motors aren't the same at all.

Yes, they are.

The performance version will have 1 induction motor and one Permanent magnet.

And so will the NON performance AWD one.

So yes, they're the same motors...though the ones going in the Ps will be "lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in" according to Musk.

There may well be other differences in the vehicle to allow for higher discharge rates though (the fuse and contactor for example as was done when they upgraded Model Ses to Ps a while back).

Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
S
Yes, they are.

And so will the NON performance AWD one.

So yes, they're the same motors...though the ones going in the Ps will be "lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in" according to Musk.

There may well be other differences in the vehicle to allow for higher discharge rates though (the fuse and contactor for example as was done when they upgraded Model Ses to Ps a while back).
So wait....is this right then?

The difference between AWD and Performance is:

$5k Red brake calipers
$5k 20" rims
$5k Spoiler
$5k White interior

Higher C rated motors - even though they are the same motors.

?

S

$5k Red brake calipers
$5k 20" rims
$5k Spoiler
$5k White interior

?

Premium paint included and might be the only Model 3 option guaranteed full tax credit regardless of place in line. Meaning you can decide to start the line waiting process in July.

The impulse buy and instant gratification is worth 20k to some people.

Premium paint included and might be the only Model 3 option guaranteed full tax credit regardless of place in line. Meaning you can decide to start the line waiting process in July.
I don't understand what you are saying about the $7500 tax credit because that is attributed to both.

So...let me update this:

$5k Red brake calipers
$5k 20" rims
$5k Spoiler
$5k White interior
$1K Paint color choice.
$2k Higher C rated motors - even though they are the same motors.

$5k Red brake calipers

Allegedly there's more to the brake upgrade than caliper color- but no details have been given. That said, like all brake upgrades on modern cars they won't do anything useful outside of a race track or the chase scene from a Jason Bourne film.

$5k 20" rims

It's only 4k to buy the 20s and add them to a "lesser" model 3.

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

$5k Spoiler
$5k White interior

Dunno what the spoiler will cost by itself, surely not 5k though... and far as I know it's $0 more for white- it's just you don't get to PICK white unless ordering a P- that will change later.

?

Well as I said possibly they upgrade the fuse and contactors too... no details currently.

So basically if you compare the P to the non-P AWD, and you were planning to get a color other than black AND planning to add 20s to the non-P, you'd be looking at a $19,000 premium for the spoiler, the brake upgrade, being first in line for white, and 1 second quicker 0-60 (likely but not confirmed to be due to either software, fuse/contactor upgrades, or some combo of those).

Now if you didn't really want the 20s (you can get 18s or 19s with the P, they just don't knock anything off the price for doing that) and planned to get a black car, you're looking at $24,000 more for those things in the P.

To my mind the non-P AWD is the best bang/buck, assuming folks can get em before the likely Dec 31 expiration of the full tax credit.

I don't understand what you are saying about the $7500 tax credit because that is attributed to both.

So...let me update this:

$5k Red brake calipers
$5k 20" rims
$5k Spoiler
$5k White interior
$1K Paint color choice.

Imagine you have no spot in the Model 3 TODAY. You decide you want a AWD Model 3.

With no spot in line you may end up getting delivery next year and half credit.

If you go up the P3D you get it guaranteed this year.

It’s not a “feature” but it is a difference that encourages the P over non P decision for some.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Allegedly there's more to the brake upgrade than caliper color- but no details have been given. That said, like all brake upgrades on modern cars they won't do anything useful outside of a race track or the chase scene from a Jason Bourne film.

It's only 4k to buy the 20s and add them to a "lesser" model 3.

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

Dunno what the spoiler will cost by itself, surely not 5k though... and far as I know it's $0 more for white- it's just you don't get to PICK white unless ordering a P- that will change later.

Well as I said possibly they upgrade the fuse and contactors too... no details currently.

So basically if you compare the P to the non-P AWD, and you were planning to get a color other than black AND planning to add 20s to the non-P, you'd be looking at a $19,000 premium for the spoiler, the brake upgrade, being first in line for white, and 1 second quicker 0-60 (likely but not confirmed to be due to either software, fuse/contactor upgrades, or some combo of those).

Now if you didn't really want the 20s (you can get 18s or 19s with the P, they just don't knock anything off the price for doing that) and planned to get a black car, you're looking at $24,000 more for those things in the P.

To my mind the non-P AWD is the best bang/buck, assuming folks can get em before the likely Dec 31 expiration of the full tax credit.

I'm trying to figure out how I can justify $24k.

Tesla is going to have to do more for Performance IMHO.

Imagine you have no spot in the Model 3 TODAY. You decide you want a AWD Model 3.

With no spot in line you may end up getting delivery next year and half credit.

If you go up the P3D you get it guaranteed this year.

It’s not a “feature” but it is a difference that encourages the P over non P decision for some.
That's true.

If I could get the $7500 NOW.....I would pull the trigger on performance without thinking......however $7500 will happen with performance or AWD anyway....

That's true.

If I could get the $7500 NOW.....I would pull the trigger on performance without thinking......however $7500 will happen with performance or AWD anyway....

Probable 7500 credit for you. AWD must compete for production time with higher margin S, X and P3D.

5000 a week run rate should cover an original line waiter but I would not rest easy until the LR AWD end up in consumer hands.

SR AWD will be a dream this year so I hope that is not what you are banking on.

Probable 7500 credit for you. AWD must compete for production time with higher margin S, X and P3D.

5000 a week run rate should cover an original line waiter but I would not rest easy until the LR AWD end up in consumer hands.

SR AWD will be a dream this year so I hope that is not what you are banking on.
SR is not on my radar at all.

I was all buttons checked Performance, however I'm trying to justify $5k more than now for AWD as opposed to $78K Performance.

I did think it was strange how Elon mentioned the prices:

AWD = $5k more
Performance = $78k.

I'm trying to figure out how I can justify $24k.

Tesla is going to have to do more for Performance IMHO.

You and I were discussing this on here last week, before pricing was announced. As you can see from the updated sig, I took a step back. They're not even offering any "Performance-exclusive" car colors. Sure, the specs sound nice, but when you realize you can stop WELL short of that and have a Model 3 that gets the same range, and will still be a low-4 second car (just as RWD has been noted to be almost half a second faster in the wild, I am expecting similar on the AWD non-P)......

The config I put together is $60K on the nose. I can buy nice summer wheels and tires, do a chrome delete, tint the windows, wrap the console, and maybe even paint the brake calipers....LOL, and still come out ~$14K less than a Performance 3 that looks just like a non-Performance one.

Wasn't worth it. I know my spot in line will still get me the full tax credit (as long as there are no delays). My delivery window is fully within Q3.

Had Elon announced pricing the same night as specs, he might have snared me. I wonder how many other people ran the numbers once he gave us 3+ full days to think about it.........

Glad to see the P versions getting priority! It's at least 1 sec faster. Even if the AWD non-P is only software 'corked', I think the faster P is a nice differentiation. You don't see a lot of 85's going out of the way to buy extras the P85D had (calipers, spoiler, etc etc) just to mimic the more exclusive model.

Elon Musk on Twitter

If they opened it up to everyone at once there would be lots of complaints that people are waiting too long after ordering. The only way this gets resolved is if they start building a lot more cars, which they are.

Patience. Waited 4 years before we got our X. This is nothing.

So...let me update this:

$5k Red brake calipers
$5k 20" rims
$5k Spoiler
$5k White interior
$1K Paint color choice.
Or maybe just this:

Free calipers, rims, spoiler, interior, paint
$24k software update

$5k Red brake calipers
$5k 20" rims
$5k Spoiler
$5k White interior
$1K Paint color choice.

$2300 Red brake calipers (price for S and X red brake calipers on the Tesla store)
$2000 20” Sport Wheels and Tires ($500 price difference between 19” and 20” wheels on the Tesla store)
$1500 Spoiler (price for S spoiler on the Tesla store)
$1000 Paint choice
$0 White Interior choice (no charge)
$22200 uncorked binned motors/inverters, bragging rights

Reactions: WierdMobile