Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who's all about that hypermiling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it it MUCH more efficient to be, like, 1 car length back. I have the 2000 Honda Insight and it has the instant readout too. With drafting that close I have gotten 93.5 MPG from SF to LA and back on one 10 gallon tank. Wonder how many truckers will be upset by all the Teslas set to cruise 1 length back, pulling down their MPG

They shouldn't be upset about the effect (nonexistent) on their truck's MPG. They have every right to be upset at the fact that a vehicle is just one car length behind them on the freeway. The drivers of big trucks can barely even see a car that follows them that close, and it makes it very hard for them to safely brake if something happens ahead of them.

Road safety really needs to trump fuel economy games. Be nice. Don't tailgate.

Reactions: bsf29
The Michelin Energy Saver tire is available in 18" size, but not in 19", I checked. The Prii folks found that the Michelin Primacy did not perform as well for range when compared to the EnergySaver. I am talking about 18" tires for the Model 3 here. YMMV.
I was only referring to the 19" on my 85S. An 18" tire would have better rolling resistance all things being equal and a wider selection of tires.

I'm buying an EV so I can drive like a knob and not feel bad about it, no hypermiling for me.

In Craig's defense, he's going to do more for the environment going from 20mpg to 100mpge than I am going from 80mpge to 100mpge.

Since I charge on Marin Clean Energy 100% renewable, does that mean I can drive like a knob all the time? ;)

(My main point, and Elon's genius, is you need to make this fun or people won't do it. The altruistic probably represent about 0.1% of the population. I'm heavily involved with trying to improve recycling/composting habits, so just being real.)

In Craig's defense, he's going to do more for the environment going from 20mpg to 100mpge than I am going from 80mpge to 100mpge.
Good point and I agree. But now we need to get Craig (and you) going from 100mpge to >125mpge by hypermiling

Since I charge on Marin Clean Energy 100% renewable, does that mean I can drive like a knob all the time? ;)
Well yes and no. Cleaning our environment, and I am talking specifically about air quality here, is a continuum. It is not an "either/or" end game. It is about changing attitudes and perceptions. Driving like "knob" may have consequences that go far beyond mere air quality and renewable energy issues.

(My main point, and Elon's genius, is you need to make this fun or people won't do it. The altruistic probably represent about 0.1% of the population.
I think your percentage is way too low but I understand your point. The goal is the increase that "0.1%" to 100%

I'm heavily involved with trying to improve recycling/composting habits, so just being real.)
I sincerely thank you and applaud your proactive efforts.
There are so many issues to be addressed that any effort. anywhere is appreciated. I recycle/compost about 70% of my personal trash and I am trying to improve on that.

I think the take-away from hypermilling in the real world is if you are critically low on charge, flick those hazards on and drive slow, and you might just make it home.
Or, perhaps, if you had been using hypermiling techniques for the first hundred miles perhaps you wouldn't be low on charge! ;)

In a more serious vein: one of the earliest road trip lessons I learned was that when my energy trip plot showed me falling behind the projection — due to strong headwinds, as it happened — it is best to slow down a bit right away. Once the energy plot stabilizes I have an idea of what speed will safely get me to my next Supercharging stop. If the energy trip plot starts going up, or I can tell that I can make it by comparing rated miles left and actual distance, I can then speed up again. Just don't wait until the last minute and end up creeping along at a speed so slow that hazard lights are needed!

If I know the trip leg is going to be difficult I'll start off a bit slowly, as opposed to going the speed limit, until I get a sense from the trip plot how things are going. In my experience, "Tessie" the nav system doesn't really cope very well with highways that have speed limits of 75-80 mph. The energy projections seem to work best if driving at 65 mph or below. Also, the nav system doesn't know about heater or AC use. If you have the battery to charge to a high buffer of 25% or more you can usually just blast along and not have to worry about it. With my small battery S60 that frequently isn't an option.

For those who haven't driven a Tesla on a road trip, this is the energy trip plot I am talking about:

Denver to Silverthorne energy plot1796cropsf 10-17-16.jpg

^ Energy trip plot for Denver Supercharger Station to Silverthorne CO Supercharger Station.

That plot above is kind of an extreme example because it involves rather mountainous terrain; the red dip in the plot is the high point in the trip: the Eisenhower Tunnel, elevation 11,158 ft (3,401 m). While driving a route, the trip plot will update in real time. When the trip plot dips into the red like that it is best to slow down unless you know from experience that you will make it. In my case, I charged a bit higher to have more of a buffer before setting out on this trip leg.

I realize that this is all old hat to anyone who already drives a Tesla, but I assume that there are many prospective Model 3 buyers here who do not.

Last edited:
Except the electricity you are using is probably being produced by fossil fuels someplace. Driving electric is one part of the equation, using electricity produced by the sun is the other part of the equation.
Around here the renewable energy electric service is mostly wind energy, so no, it's not mostly fossil fuel.