Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is that different from being "profitable"?

Profitable has to do with the Income Statement whereas the phrase "positive cash flow" deals with the Statement of Cash Flows.

Here are a few links that describe the various financial statements (Balance Sheet, Income Statement, and Statement of Cash Flows), and their similarities/differences:
http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/begfinstmtguide.htm

Have you guys seen this 22 minute interview from Germany? He talks about a lot of interesting things including weekly production numbers. He even mentioned that the orderflow increased after the fire incident. This is awesome, haven't heard that before.

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/2015574/Tesla-Chef-Elon-Musk-im-Interview

Yes, good interview, thanks for posting!

And it confirms the goal is now in fact 10,000 (to 15,000), annually, just for Germany (as opposed to for the whole of Europe, the context in which this number was mentioned in earlier times). (EDIT: By end of next year, I think.)

Last edited:
This would mean that we need a real Tesla factory also in Europe. Don't you think so?

Yes, I guess it's just a question of time, at which point it will start being the more cost-effective solution, given that Tesla also needs to invest in Model X production facilities in a similar time frame. And it will be reducing CO2 as well, of course, so I m sure they will make this step as soon as it starts making sense in terms of the larger picture.

It really got me worried when he says that they're not likely to get acquired at their current stock price and laughed. Seems like he really thinks the stock price is over valued and a joke and doesn't mind things staying at this level for a while. Or that he doesn't want it to go up much more too fast b/c it's probably not too health for the company? Not sure. He also seemed very reserved and played things down a lot.

Yes I also reacted to this one, it was the only thing that made me irk throughout the whole interview.. Besides that it was great.

Yes I also reacted to this one, it was the only thing that made me irk throughout the whole interview.. Besides that it was great.

I too didn't like that, but he might not have thought them overpriced, but instead that no other car company would have the finances to buy them. Ford has a market cap of $66B, GM has $52B, Volkswagen $85B. So buying a company that is 25-35% of your own market cap might be hard. So it's again down to interpretation and I'm not sure anyone but us is going to interpret the proper way, we'll probably see again and again headlines that EM thinks Tesla is overvalued too etc.

I too didn't like that, but he might not have thought them overpriced, but instead that no other car company would have the finances to buy them. Ford has a market cap of $66B, GM has $52B, Volkswagen $85B. So buying a company that is 25-35% of your own market cap might be hard. So it's again down to interpretation and I'm not sure anyone but us is going to interpret the proper way, we'll probably see again and again headlines that EM thinks Tesla is overvalued too etc.

I think he meant most car companies don't have the bank balance to buy them. He has already said the TSLA is going higher higher in the long run.

Anybody looking for some divertissement?
Here is a new interview with EM from german television ZDF:
Verpasste Zukunft
first video is about EVs in Germany in general (in German language), second video is the interview (in english).
Any ideas where in Germany the video was recorded?
Maybe it's time again for a good glas of italien red wine?
Good luck to all.
Regards from Germany.

To me it looks like it was recorded in the Munich store.

Elon uses tongue in cheek logic based humor. "It's not as crazy to short Tesla now" - translation: before they were super crazy $30-to-$120+ now they are just crazy $160-to-$250. His comment on stock price and valuation is simply that the other car companies couldn't afford Tesla based on market cap ratios. Besides he holds a ton of stock and has effective control of the company and the board. He might possibly let it go for $200B if he would believe the future owners to have the same sustainability vision as his. That scale of capital might actually get him to Mars. But I don't think anyone has $200B loose change in the kitty to throw at a fledling car company, so it seems he will have to see the project through to completion if his end game is to live on Mars in style.

Last edited:
170$ just fell....... man an epic short squeeze just like old times after ER would be.....................probably too much :-D at this point I'm done..... I'm just resigned to my destiny.....I'll just wait for my spreads to expire............patient...........calm.............relaxed......................!!:scared:!!

I just sold my last 3D printer shares. Been in since mid 2011-ish (before the Greek debt fiasco), booking a total gain of ~500%. Sold 80% of my stake last December since I wasn't paying attention any longer, but apparently the trend has continued. Amazing the sort of luck it is possible to have with stock picks...I guess everyone is an expert in a bull market.

Nice run. Maybe the November 16th $180s I paid $18 will crawl back to a not insane level of loss :).

Not much for me to do for the earnings call. I've already got 175s and those 180s. Even with a good ER, I'm mostly just hoping that break even around $195 is attainable. The chances of making any real money are small given the mid-teen premiums I paid a few weeks ago, but getting out with most of my skin intact would be a good result at this point.