Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we aren't supposed to believe in the Tesla Tuesday... but today... I am really not liking the shareprice action at the end of the day... not really sure why we have taken another nosedive on the price... man this stock feels really volatile... 5$ swings... geeze...

The negative Tesla Tuesday effect appeared quite real during much of 2013. Perhaps it has resurfaced. However, the TSLA share price movement today is essentially in line with the overall market and the other US automakers.

Last edited:
The negative Tesla Tueday effect appeared quite real during much of 2013. Perhaps it has resurfaced. However, the TSLA share price movement today is essentially in line with the overall market and the other US automakers.

Nah, you are right, that's it... it is a down day for the market... I normally click over to those and forgot to do that today. Thanks... I am just voicing sadness to see us drop back into the 270s...

Nah, you are right, that's it... it is a down day for the market... I normally click over to those and forgot to do that today. Thanks... I am just voicing sadness to see us drop back into the 270s...

An incredibly appropriate view to take, since this is the short term movements thread. I know it's not very scientific, but if you remove the change to the NASDAQ (i.e. add 0.86%) to TSLA's drop of 1.29% you get a drop of only 0.43%... hardly worth worrying about.

TSLA hasn't been "this low" for what... 7 calendar days! I think there has been a lot of stability in the price lately, with Elon's comments and the Nevada announcement potentially able to do all sorts to the price. For this stability we should be thankful.

Model X is next.

Ive been concerned about delayed deliveries & a 3rd Qtr miss, who knows if Elon was trying to talk to stock down with his comments last week knowing delays were coming.

To be honest, this is what is dominating my thoughts. The last time Elon talked down the stock, he had actual bad news to deliver later. Then the TMC forum consensus was 'well he warned us, and we didn't listen'. Now he talked down the stock again and people are trying to defend him and ignore it. Personally, I am down to a very modest Tesla share position and sold my beloved leaps.

To be honest, this is what is dominating my thoughts. The last time Elon talked down the stock, he had actual bad news to deliver later. Then the TMC forum consensus was 'well he warned us, and we didn't listen'. Now he talked down the stock again and people are trying to defend him and ignore it. Personally, I am down to a very modest Tesla share position and sold my beloved leaps.
I believe your wrong but have also taken defensive measures by reducing options but increasing stock holdings. The output increase in the line is a great black box and may provide a big beat

7800 deliveries was guidance for Q3,

North America in July deliveries were? #### (cars produced in June & 1st week of July)
North America in August? 0-50? (loaners)
North America in September? ### most deliveries dates keep changing for whatever reason & the hope is the last week of the September, maybe. (between TMC, Facebook groups & the official Tesla forum monitoring)

That leaves international deliveries left to fill the void, is it reasonable to assume most if not all of Augusts production was shipped overseas & currently an insane amount of deliveries are taking place, I guess its possible but since this is a short term focused trading discussion I have moved to neutral to bearish. anyone have any delivery guess's with 2 1/2 weeks left?

Ive stated it before in other places, but they would have to fall pretty hard to miss guidance. They REALLY sandbagged their numbers for Q3 and it is a good thing they did from the sound of it. I am not worried (yet) that they will meet guidance, but that is not the driving force here of what has me hesitant about Q3... I am more worried because if they do just meet guidance, they are going to shoot deep into the red since they have continued to up their other expenses, but are suggesting a really flat quarter for injecting new cash.

Maybe all those ZEV credits they are holding on to will get sold off to help them out this time? They are sitting on like 200+ credits right now.

I am not sure if I should invest in tsla before the Q3 earnings... With all the expenses they have incurred, and the factory retooling, I am not sure they will make their guidance.
I sold some options at the high point of yesterdays trading day. Not sure if it is wise to jump back in now. May sit on the sidelines until after Q3 (of course I'll hate myself if they have a great ER).
Perhaps I am overly cautious since the last 2 weeks has had pretty flat trading after all the good news we had.

I am not sure if I should invest in tsla before the Q3 earnings... With all the expenses they have incurred, and the factory retooling, I am not sure they will make their guidance.
I sold some options at the high point of yesterdays trading day. Not sure if it is wise to jump back in now. May sit on the sidelines until after Q3 (of course I'll hate myself if they have a great ER).
Perhaps I am overly cautious since the last 2 weeks has had pretty flat trading after all the good news we had.

Earnings won't matter really, unless deliveries were absolutely abysmal. If they are, this could lower expectations for Q4 and set up again for a ridiculous beat just like history. What matters is forward looking guidance and news of Model X.

So I have officially dumped out of my calls I was sitting on today, since it will take some crazy miracle at this point to jump back up to 290+ so I am looking to likely do a simple straddle when the November Options are released (maybe just do the Decemeber ones), and this way I take a more neutral position. I am trying to find a range that would work though that would be the least required stock movement (in either direction) in order to flip to positive.

I am still kicking myself for not selling at 290, but I am not complaining at all because a win is a win and I still pulled out a 50% gain (after commission). For my first serious option play it was better than running in the red.

I really feel like the stock is not likely to trade flat for much longer... last time we had a flag form it caused the previous drop off we saw, so I am inclined to believe that unless there is some crazy announcement next week, the stock it going to finally do its pullback.

Don't get me wrong, we could totally get that announcement next week with a Model X to show for, and the stock will break out again and go on a short run. But with the latest short data being as low as it is, we are more likely to finally drop back down. I remember the discussions back in March where we were all sitting there, seeing the exact same signals, and we all thought we were looking at a bull flag and the stock would keep going up... but we had no news like we were expecting on the factory, and it dropped... I really feel like we are in high risk of hitting another dropping period.

Here is a link to the tweets or someone who appears totally consumed with being anti-TSLA, and repeatedly accuses Elon of pumping the stock. If the tweeter truly believes he is right, then he must think Elon is mighty good at pumping. Therefore one might assume the tweeter would want to become a shareholder: Mark B. Spiegel (markbspiegel) | Twitter

Remarkably, his first TSLA tweet was on 5/29/2013.

"Self," I asked myself. "I wonder how closely 5/29/2013 correlates to TSLA's initial liftoff?"

"Well, self," I said, "pretty closely."

Total coincidence, I'm sure.

"Self," I asked myself. "I wonder how closely 5/29/2013 correlates to TSLA's initial liftoff?"

From the twitter site:
Managing Member of Stanphyl Capital

My opinion: Frankly, if a managing partner of any investment hedge fund is tweeting about stocks that he is in (short or long) then I don't want to be a part of that investment firm.

Here is a link to the tweets of someone who appears totally consumed with being anti-TSLA, and repeatedly accuses Elon of pumping the stock. If the tweeter truly believes he is right, then he must think Elon is mighty good at pumping. Therefore one might assume the tweeter would want to become a shareholder: Mark B. Spiegel (markbspiegel) | Twitter

That is none other than Logical Thought on Seeking Alpha.

I don´t quite see where the pessimism of some in here comes from. Did I miss a meeting or isn´t there a single fact that predicts bad results for Q3 ? Also I totally disagree with Elon Musk and others on the stock being overvalued. Clearly the market today has totally missed or underestimated what yesterdays Nevada legislation decisions and governor Sandovals swift signature meant. So that is definitely not priced in. Perhaps it will sink in when the groundbreaking event of the GF will take place. I think we have reason to believe that will do the stock price more good than harm short term...

Yeah, he seems like a short who lost his shirt and has never gotten over it.... if he would have just changed his mind and shifted everything from short to long... even a MONTH after the initial lift off he would have made so much money...

- - - Updated - - -

That is none other than Logical Thought on Seeking Alpha.

Oh yeah, I thought the name sounded familiar... haha!

I don´t quite see where the pessimism of some in here comes from. Did I miss a meeting or isn´t there a single fact that predicts bad results for Q3 ? Also I totally disagree with Elon Musk and others on the stock being overvalued. Clearly the market today has totally missed or underestimated what yesterdays Nevada legislation decisions and governor Sandovals swift signature meant. So that is definitely not priced in. Perhaps it will sink in when the groundbreaking event of the GF will take place. I think we have reason to believe that will do the stock price more good than harm short term...

The pessimism is coming from the lower deliveries forecast for this quarter and the deliveries that appear to be behind schedule in the deliveries thread. This is a short term issue though. Not to mention we are near ATH and all the other points Chicken made a few post above.