Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft Paint.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't scratched my car yet, but when it arrived there were many light scratches in the clear coat that were only visible under florescent lighting in my garage. Tesla is replacing my scratched wheels and sending the car to a detailer to take care of the light scratches. I have a Panamera S Hybrid in the same garage and it's paint is still perfect after a year, of course I had to pay an extra $3500 for the paint color.

Absolutely!

Tesla paint is one of the softest paints I have worked on. Scratches and etches very easily. You need to be very careful on how you wash/dry or where you bring your car to get it serviced.

If you can, find a local ceramic pro installer or crystal serum installer to correct and protect your Tesla. It will protect against marring and make it easier to clean when you do have to clean it... thus having to apply less pressure or excessive wiping to dry or to try and get a bug off, washing less often, etc.

4 to 6 coats of Ceramic Pro 9h is currently my go to for Tesla Owners, since the paint is so soft it definitely helps to add a harder sacrificial barrier above your clear coat.

Has anyone else noticed how easily the paint gets marred/scratched? Seemed to recall that the beta cars seemed pretty resilient, but then again most of them weren't seen in the sunlight.

Tesla paint is very soft since it's painted here in CA and the OSHA regulations are pretty strict on solvents in paint.

Your best bet is to first assess the current condition, then figure out if a proper paint correction is needed, remedy the situation, and have a good home wash routine. Nano coatings such as CQuartz Finest will really help out in the scratch-resistance department and will make it easier to care for the paint

I see that you're in Irvine...don't hesitate to stop by our studio and we'll be glad to help you out.

Definitely noticing how soft this paint is our new vehicle. Looking at Opticoat as well as Ceramic pro and Nanohide. Has anybody had any experience with these or multiple experience that you could compare the three?

Your first objective is to find the correct technician/shop. I've never heard of Nanohide, so many nano companies now. Opti-Coat and Ceramic Pro are some of the key players at moment. Other top products that are far more exclusive are Modesta and CQuartz Finest. Just do your homework and stop by the shops and get a"feel" of who's the monkey behind the buffer and nano applicator. You're buying into a "system" and you want to be sure someone is there to hold your hands throughout the process; even post application and maintenance since these coating lasts years, not months.

An installer should walk you through your Tesla, let you know the scope of work required, execute it with precision, and come up with a proper maintenance routine to sustain the initial labor and financial investment. Depending on what your Tesla requires, expect to pay $1200-2500 for a skilled installer and/or product choice. This assumes a proper detail, paint correction, and nano coating.

Hope this helps guide you in making the right choice.

Your first objective is to find the correct technician/shop. I've never heard of Nanohide, so many nano companies now. Opti-Coat and Ceramic Pro are some of the key players at moment. Other top products that are far more exclusive are Modesta and CQuartz Finest. Just do your homework and stop by the shops and get a"feel" of who's the monkey behind the buffer and nano applicator. You're buying into a "system" and you want to be sure someone is there to hold your hands throughout the process; even post application and maintenance since these coating lasts years, not months.

An installer should walk you through your Tesla, let you know the scope of work required, execute it with precision, and come up with a proper maintenance routine to sustain the initial labor and financial investment. Depending on what your Tesla requires, expect to pay $1200-2500 for a skilled installer and/or product choice. This assumes a proper detail, paint correction, and nano coating.

Hope this helps guide you in making the right choice.

Thank you I will do exactly that.