Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Download Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a Tesla Model Y and I am new to the forum. I don't always have wifi for the software update. How long does it usually take for software updates to download over wifi and over a phone hotspot? And how long does it usually take for the software to install? I realize data speed has a lot to do with the download time, but does it usually take hours to download and install?
Thank you!

I have a fast wifi and internet. 350mbps down. I have a 2023 MYP, and it usually takes 10-15 minutes to download, and a other 30 or more to install after downloading. Last night I got 2024.8 navigation update after the usual car software update. The nav update was much slower, but I didn't watch it finish. It was definitely slower to download.

Reactions: Eka A
Upvote 0
You are right, it does depend on the data bandwidth available. According to my router, the 2024.14.9 update my 3LR got earlier this week was 1.43 Gigabytes. The nav data update downloaded the next day was 6.6 Gigabytes. Maybe those sizes can help estimate the download times based on your speeds. The installation time for me is usually around 30 minutes or so.

Upvote 0
It is a mystery to me why tesla refuses to tell us the size of the file to be downloaded.

I realize those of you with wifi at your home parking spot don't give a hoot.

But those of us without that have to either

1. take their car somewhere with wifi (I use my local tesla service center because I'm unable to sign onto wifi anywhere that requires authorization in a browser to continue (such as during an overnight stay at a hotel) and so want to know roughly the size of the update so they can estimate how long they will be sitting in that parking lot waiting for the download, or

2. they have to use their mobile data and some of us don't have unlimited data plans and if we got over, the cost is horrendous. I use less than a gig of data a month on my phone so don't want to pay for a different plan that has the amount I need for the one a year NAV update.

Or in my case both, because I can't use cell data at my underground parking spot so have to move the car above ground and then sit in the car while the download happens (because if I go back to my apartment during the download, I won't know the download is finished because my phone is down in the car.)

Why tesla absolutely refuses to do this is beyond me and another indicator of how little tesla actual cares about the owners and their satisfaction with the car.

Upvote 0
The process seems to take about 45 minutes on regular wifi. The car used to say "about 20 minutes" which was a load of crap; the latest update said a more realistic time
I don’t recall ever seeing estimates for download time, only for installation time. Where is that shown?

I downloaded 2024.14.9 using a supercharger’s WiFi yesterday. The download finished in 20 minutes or so, which was faster than I expected.

Upvote 0