Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18.2 301aeee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can now confirm auto lane change suddenly became available on my 18.2 car, over a week after I updated. Still no speed sign recognition though.
How did they enable it? ADAS-tiles changed? Changed a switch OTA? Spooky?!
I follow you on YouTube and appreciate your videos. I noticed this last night on your YouTube channel and of course I recognize this highway in your other videos.

My question. This road appears to be a divided highway (a Freeway here in California). Maybe the GPS Maps are now updated to indicate it is a divided highway instead of a surface street which does not support auto lane change in AP2. I think you said you did not get the New Maps so I would think it would be an update to the existing maps. Unless 18.2 was changed to support ANY highway like is the case in AP1 (from what I have heard). I am on AP2 2018.16 and if this is really available on any highway then that is huge.

Could you test this on regular surface streets to verify it is not just a change to that highway you are testing on?

And thanks for your videos.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
This lane change behavior seems tied to how the roads are tagged for AP2 - and it appears that there have been some changes. Nothing more than that.

You'll see similar changes/restrictions for county roads versus state routes. Which gets interesting in, for example, western Canada when you'll shift from a divided highway on which there were restrictions to a 2-lane on which there aren't. Same province - just different tagging.

And AP2 is sadly in no danger of reacting to speed limit signs now going on year 2. Makes zero difference if the signs are recognized if there's no reaction. I remain unconvinced that AP2 does either at least in the public versions so far.

I follow you on YouTube and appreciate your videos. I noticed this last night on your YouTube channel and of course I recognize this highway in your other videos.

My question. This road appears to be a divided highway (a Freeway here in California). Maybe the GPS Maps are now updated to indicate it is a divided highway instead of a surface street which does not support auto lane change in AP2. I think you said you did not get the New Maps so I would think it would be an update to the existing maps. Unless 18.2 was changed to support ANY highway like is the case in AP1 (from what I have heard). I am on AP2 2018.16 and if this is really available on any highway then that is huge.

Could you test this on regular surface streets to verify it is not just a change to that highway you are testing on?

And thanks for your videos.
Thanks!
The road is not what we call a motorway/highway class A or B, but have share the same properties, no crossings, roundabouts or trafic lights.

What I have done is tested it on another divided local highway. On that one, I was not able to auto lane change.
I will also try on a city road with double lanes (and traffic lights).
The roads in question are
Ring 3 (ALC works)
Google Maps
Rv4 (ALC does not work)
Google Maps
Fv161/Ring 2 (not tested yet)
Google Maps
Btw I did make a complaint to Tesla about a year ago since ALC was missing on Ring 3, and AP1 loaner had the ability.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones