Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.40.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 39, I'm seeing it chicken out on lane changes (off freeway). Goes about 1/3 across then rapidly returns. I've only seen it once on the freeway. I think it's having trouble distinguishing lines from cracks... still. Was pretty clear to my eyes anyway.

Please, do not tell me (again) not to use EAP off the freeways. Thank you ;)

The times that mine has behaved like this were when the dashed line separating the two lanes is interrupted. This happens as I pass through the intersection with a side street that puts a 50+ foot gap in the white dashed lane markings. In those situations, it behaves like you describe. By scanning the road ahead and not initiating a lane change where it wouldn’t be able to complete before a gap like this, I have mostly “cured” this behavior.

On 39, I'm seeing it chicken out on lane changes (off freeway). Goes about 1/3 across then rapidly returns. I've only seen it once on the freeway. I think it's having trouble distinguishing lines from cracks... still. Was pretty clear to my eyes anyway.

Please, do not tell me (again) not to use EAP off the freeways. Thank you ;)
I have seen the “chicken out on lane changes” also with 39, great way to describe that behavior, thanks. I was wondering in retrospect if it was my fault in cancelling the turn signal too soon, worried that it would move more than one lane at a time. I have since tested leaving the turn signal on and verified that in at least a few test cases it stops in the adjacent lane properly. I am still suspicious that as you say it occaisionally sees cracks in the roadway and cancels the lane change. One time it was on a modest curve, and the lane markers were those square reflective things instead of long painted stripes.

Can someone please confirm for me that firmware version 2018.39.7 is NOT "Version 9"
My car is in service and I just got texted that firmware update 2018.39.7 is complete. To that number.
I specifically asked them NOT to upgrade to "9".

Can someone please confirm for me that firmware version 2018.39.7 is NOT "Version 9"
My car is in service and I just got texted that firmware update 2018.39.7 is complete. To that number.
I specifically asked them NOT to upgrade to "9".

Anything 2018.39 or above is version 9. It’s standard procedure for them to update the vehicle to the latest available version when they service it. I’m curious why you didn’t want it.

• Love
Reactions: PaulJohn
Yep... It's the forum that came after the S and then X forum, soon to be followed by the Y and R2 then Semi and pickup forums ;)

Just sayin' only NA has any version of V9. Rest of world is still waiting, for some unknown reason.
I have 40.1 on my M3 and the the release notes say there is an enable/disable setting under Autopilot - I do not see it - is there something needed to setup? As for V9 in general I like it - Nav is better, mobile S/W download, sharing destinations from you phone, AP feels more reliable in a weekend of testing, change lane alert awesome.....

View attachment 345443

I just got 2018.40.1 installed a few hours ago after begging Tesla to push V9 to me in order to resolve another issue I've been having. (obstacle aware acceleration)

I was running V8 prior to this. I'm really loving V9 so far! Not sure how this differs from 39.x as I never got that, but AutoPilot seems to work perfectly fine. No ping ponging or relearning as others have reported for V9. I've been using the browser a lot and I've yet to see it fail for me. I'll be trying out the dashcam tomorrow.

It'd be nice to have Mad Max mode, though. AP hesitates to change lanes in the 405 highway with way other people would consider a ton of space. Not sure what else I should look for in this update.
did they push it remotely, or at a service center?

I have 40.1 on my M3 and the the release notes say there is an enable/disable setting under Autopilot - I do not see it - is there something needed to setup? As for V9 in general I like it - Nav is better, mobile S/W download, sharing destinations from you phone, AP feels more reliable in a weekend of testing, change lane alert awesome.....
OOPs to be clear to enable/disable Obstacle Avoidance

First V9 appeared in Europe (Hungary) on Teslafi! Hope that the rest of Europe will follow soon!

By pure coincidence I called Tesla Service here in Switzerland today, to report a defective SuC stall.

After taking the details the lady then asked if I had any other questions and I enquired when the new upgraded key-fobs to prevent relay attack might be available for Model S. She said they already are but will only become effective with software v9, which should be pushed out next week and to keep a good WiFi connected to get it promptly.

She sounded very competent and sure of herself in spontaneously volunteering this info, so I take it as an encouraging sign that our painful wait will be over mercifully soon!

I had my first experience with version 9 last night driving and I have to say, I find accessing the controls (phone, music) more challenging than with the older versions. Maybe this is just because it's new and I'll get used to it, but I'm not looking forward to having to re-learn where buttons are each time they release a major update. Not a plus when two eyes are on the road.