Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Tesla for the driving experience and to be gas-free. And yeah, a bit for the styling (otherwise I'd be in a 3). Infotainment system is a "who cares" for me as long as music sounds decent. I don't need / care all that much for Nav or EAP (my first car with them) though they are nice to have and well executed. OTA is cool, and for that everything needs to be soft controls, hence the need for a big touch screen but otherwise I'd rather not have any screen at all (again, my first car with one).

I just like driving.

This is what happens when you buy into the Cult of Personality. The red flag was "how Elon wanted it" when I picked up the car. A linux box that doesn't work, well even? This is very much an Apple business model, where susceptible personalities are drawn obediently to celebrity and shiny objects, and who are too smart to know they've been had. I'm embarrassed to tell people who ask my about my car the truth about what happens when you climb inside and close the door, so I generally don't. I wish I felt differently, but after a month of ownership, I bought an electric car that drives great that has pretty good nav and free SC, but that's about it.

I do really enjoy the rocket launches, though. That's where your money is going.

I love my 2018 P100D and don't regret the purchase at all, however I have to agree somewhat with this post and I hope that some day Tesla becomes more like the other car manufacturers: regular showrooms, regular trade in policies, regular service (call ... speak to someone immediately and make appointment), complete parts inventories, etc.

Aside from the fantastic driving (that makes everything worth it), there really are more than couple "features" that are not even close to those of comparably priced cars. Hopefully Tesla can make good on some of these before Audi and Mercedes come out with decent EVs.

I love my 2018 P100D and don't regret the purchase at all, however I have to agree somewhat with this post and I hope that some day Tesla becomes more like the other car manufacturers: regular showrooms, regular trade in policies, regular service (call ... speak to someone immediately and make appointment), complete parts inventories, etc.

Aside from the fantastic driving (that makes everything worth it), there really are more than couple "features" that are not even close to those of comparably priced cars. Hopefully Tesla can make good on some of these before Audi and Mercedes come out with decent EVs.

Unfortunately, because of these reasons I think Tesla will not survive as a car manufacturer. All those Model 3's being sold will need service or repair and .....well, good luck satisfying your customers who can't even reliably play a USB thumbdrive. $80K+ cars that don't deliver as promised? Our MB dealer treats us like royalty. It really pains me to type this.

Reactions: KArnold
That"s about it? Isn't that the most important parts of driving a vehicle?

Honestly if my model S had no speakers or infotainment at all I would still love it. If you want your $5000 Civic with a $5000 dollar aftermarket GPS internet satellite stereo go do it.

I have a $25K Civic that performs as expected. It even has a pretty good GPS. It's got the cruise control that slows you down when there is a car in front of you, speeds up when it moves away, and has the blind spot alert that is useful. Hey, that's just like a Tesla! Well, not that last part. It has the same low quality stock speakers as well, but has better bass. So yeah, I've got a great riding EV Model S car with software and features from 1992. The only thing missing AOL. Again, I don't take joy in typing this. I thought this was gonna be like an iphone..reliably workable in a frustratingly closed ecosystem.

None of my GM Vehicles partially drive themselves, Navigate on Auto Pilot. Civic will not drive off Highway. GM SuperCruise also Highway only & no Construction. Honda Clarity Electric is a piss poor 89 mile range!! aka useless. My Radio using Slacker or FM works perfect here. Voice Commands work great, while my Wifes Caddy and my 2014 Vette have a total Joke of a Voice Command System. I'm not getting how my Tesla is so different from the rest of you???
Funny about voice command, I still can't figure out how to get it to work properly after it reads my voice and prints the command on my screen. Maybe it's me?

Wow I must be lucky as my models works flawlessly , plays music off the USB stick with no issues, voice commands work perfect, auto pilot works as advertised , no issues driving it this winter in 20 days that were below -30 C all the time (3 days it was at -38 C for a daytime high), auto high beams work, auto window wipers work (took a few updates), the car drives like its on rails and I destroy all the audi and BMW drivers off the line easily and best of all new features are released though OTA updates. One thing I have learnt over the years of having high tech items, I have an observatory so you think there is complaints here you should see the complaints about telescope mounts, is that forums is where people come to do the following;
1. Vent over legitimate issues (yes I know that some cars have issues , name one that doesn't, hell ford just recalled 1.8 million F150's for a possibly fire issue)
2. Vent over made up issues (these people seldom own the item they are complaining about)
3. Vent over something that they don't like how it works as it doesn't do EXACTLY what they want so it has to be wrong

sorry about the rant but when I showed this forumn to a friend that was thinking about buying a tesla he said , and I quote " wow what a bunch of spoiled brats"

He still went ahead and bought a model 3 and loves it. I know a few people who have model s or model 3's and all of them work flawlessly

so once again sorry about the rant but Ill take my model s and blow the doors off more expensive cars and just keep on smiling :p

Funny about voice command, I still can't figure out how to get it to work properly after it reads my voice and prints the command on my screen. Maybe it's me?

Voice commands work great. Period.
But although it will be able to hear all you tell it and even display it on your screen, if you did not use the correct command to start with, it will do nothing.
So be sure to use the specific command words accordingly.

You can check in the manual the exact commands or read this thread:
Voice command list - From Car

After the command, you can go wild and ask f.i. « Drive to restaurant xyz in Sidney », it will work. You can also ask to « drive to restaurant » and this will return a list of restaurants around you. Or « drive to restaurants in Alberta » and I let you guess or try what it will result in.
So hope it works for you as it really does work great.

Has anyone noticed NOA updates with .50? Due to phantom braking situation I've all but given up on using it for the last couple of months. I turned on Nav on Auto for the first time in ages and still notice the phantom braking every mile or so. So... back to regular autpilot I go :(
Dude, you just (unintentionally) mocked the rest of the world aside North America who's waiting for NoA to arrive: "last couple months" "first time in ages" :D;) We wait for ages for new features, I guess mostly due to burEUcratics (I intentionally spelled it wrong).

Reactions: Siggy101
After 2018.50.7 the preheating, and heating in general has become almost non-functional.
On the bright side, the automatic wipers seem to work a little better.
Welcome to driving a beta car. I've been driving Teslas since 2013, it used to be better but since late 2015 Tesla cars have been bleeding edge experimental cars. While some like it, I'm over it. I want a car that works consistently, and not finding our what still works or stopped working since the last update (or as in the case of a defrost button which turned into frost button one update in 2016, it works the opposite way, which almost caused me to get into an accident). I got my wife into a Tesla too, and one update costed us $600 because the update changed the behavior of the car, after manually folding the mirrors they would automatically unfold as soon as the car starts moving. After a year of driving with the old behavior, where folded mirrors stayed folded, my wife got into a car at her doctors office, in a place where she parked many times before, she folded the mirrors as usual, since there was a concrete pole close to the car. As soon as she started driving, she was looking backwards and not at the folded mirrors, so when they unfolded, "snap!" off went the mirror. Tesla since fixed the behavior so that mirrors auto-unfold above some speed, but that over the air update somehow didn't magically glue the mirror back onto my wife's car, or even refund the $600 we paid for Tesla to replace it. I guess there are people who got into accidents on Auto Pilot, some paid with their lives, so a $600 mirror may be a minor relative cost of driving a beta car.

Reactions: am_dmd
But although it will be able to hear all you tell it and even display it on your screen, if you did not use the correct command to start with, it will do nothing.

After the command, you can go wild and ask f.i. « Drive to restaurant xyz in Sidney », it will work. You can also ask to « drive to restaurant » and this will return a list of restaurants around you. Or « drive to restaurants in Alberta » and I let you guess or try what it will result in.

Thanks, maybe it IS me! Ha! OK, I'll give it a try.

Reactions: AustinP

I beg to differ here.Voice commands work great when they actually get through.Many times my P100D will not "hear" the command, over and over. I have read several others mentions of this. My son has the same issue with his Model 3. Why this happens I don't know... some feel it has to do with the cellular connection. I can honestly say that the voice command performance is the worst of my last three cars.