Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the update. I went out to the car to see what the release notes said but it was the exact ones from the last update with the climate updates, romance mode and emissions test.

What am I missing?

Missing nothing. Often the notes don't indicate anything other than minor bug fixes and improvements not mentioned. The other items from the last update might appear more as a reference point for newer things in case one might have forgot them.

Not every owner wants to be a beta tester!
Don’t buy a Tesla. The business model is MVP (minimally viable product) and then update as you go. Your Tesla vehicle is a rolling beta test. This is why we have bug fixes. You can test till you’re blue in the face but nothing will prepare your software for production, nothing can simulate every scenario, hence “improvements”. Also, thinking about the technology they’re using, machine learning. It is constantly being improved.
I’m not saying this is good or bad, but it is reality when you drive a Tesla. You don’t want to live like that then don’t get one and don’t expect it either. I would rather have OTA updates constantly and deal with a few issues along the way instead of having to buy a new car to get the improvements.

Find me one Tesla vehicle sales person on the planet that would tell a customer before purchase that advertised functions may or may not work or may be rendered inoperative due to a software update or that they are buying a beta product
On the forefront of technology is the excuse used, some accept that, I don't, not for basic functions. FSD is obviously on a whole different level of being deemed as working or not, I'm talking mainly about the infotainment part of the MCU. The drive line is perfection, that engineering team can goof around all they like now.

Just got this update tonight, probably minor bug fixes. Hopefully it fixes a problem I've experienced a couple of times on the previous 50.x release where I would pull the car out of the garage and LTE would never turn on. After I got out of WiFi range the car would just indicate WiFi was unavailable and there was nothing other than a soft reboot that would get LTE to come back.

Find me one Tesla vehicle sales person on the planet that would tell a customer before purchase that advertised functions may or may not work or may be rendered inoperative due to a software update or that they are buying a beta product
On the forefront of technology is the excuse used, some accept that, I don't, not for basic functions. FSD is obviously on a whole different level of being deemed as working or not, I'm talking mainly about the infotainment part of the MCU. The drive line is perfection, that engineering team can goof around all they like now.
I agree with your assessment of the drive train. They spent the development $$$ where it counted and where you can’t do OTA updates - battery and motor. They have finally figured out how to put them together, mostly. Now they are fine tuning the digital things and stuff that can be improved after delivery.
I’m not saying they are selling you a beta technology but don’t expect more than it is. The company is barely a decade old, this car is only a few years old. Don’t expect anything close to perfection from Tesla, it’s all about what is the minimally viable functionality to get the feature out to say you have it. Look at the wipers, look at the browser. These are horribly implemented features - but they’re expected features.

Reactions: rush6410
Ok well launched the app and I did notice a difference. After the last update, I got individual control of each seat heater and steering wheel heater but lost front and rear defoggers. Now I have the defoggers back! Thank God.

Other than that, I don't see a difference.
You have a Model S?
I REALLY want the app to let me turn on rear/mirror defrost, but I dont see it. Model 3 ever have this option?

Don’t buy a Tesla. The business model is MVP (minimally viable product) and then update as you go. Your Tesla vehicle is a rolling beta test. This is why we have bug fixes. You can test till you’re blue in the face but nothing will prepare your software for production, nothing can simulate every scenario, hence “improvements”. Also, thinking about the technology they’re using, machine learning. It is constantly being improved.
I’m not saying this is good or bad, but it is reality when you drive a Tesla. You don’t want to live like that then don’t get one and don’t expect it either. I would rather have OTA updates constantly and deal with a few issues along the way instead of having to buy a new car to get the improvements.
What nonsense! MVP does NOT mean minimal testing. It means minimal features. In fact, software developed from MVP in incremental releases is generally of significantly higher quality than alternate methods because each release is thoroughly tested before new features are added, significantly reducing risk. In fact Tesla do have a beta test program that people sign up for; ordinary users do not get beta test software, they get thoroughly well rested software. As a 20 year veteran of BMW ownership, I can tell you that the software in my new Model 3 is as robust, if not more robust as the software in my BMWs.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
In fact Tesla do have a beta test program that people sign up for; ordinary users do not get beta test software, they get thoroughly well rested software.
Well then take a look in the settings menu under "Auto Wipers" or "Navigate on Autopilot" to only mention two places where you actually can read "beta". I would say, the early access program is more an alpha program than a beta.

so after a very widespread roll out of 50.6 for the M3 I have just received this for my S. not driven yet but will post of anything new appears. Seems to be general tweaks etc though so not expecting to much difference.

Has anyone else got it yet and have seen/noticed any new things for the MS?