Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Available Conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BertL

Aug 19, 2015
Carlsbad, CA
I'm used to generally receiving a "Software Update is Available" via my Tesla App which is great. My question is, does anyone know for a fact if there are any other conditions where this message may be pushed, e.g. if one does not schedule or decline a real update to take place, perhaps the message is occasionally resent as a reminder -- even if there isn't a newer physical update that has been sent and is ready for installation?

I ask because my MS has been sitting unmoved in the parking lot around my SvC for more than a week awaiting it's first annual service. I've now received 5 different notifications that a "Software Update is Available" from my Tesla App, all at different times of the day with no apparent scheduled pattern. Perhaps there have been 5 different new dot releases since 8.0 2.36.108 (which my MS had when I took it in), but that does not align with what the tracker is showing across a much more limited subset of the fleet. I'm just trying to get my head around if perhaps there are many more smaller releases appearing in the wild than we may have been seeing in the tracker, or if these "Software Update is Available" messages I've been receiving may just be a repetitive reminder vs. only that something new is ready for installation.

Last edited:
I delayed an update by a few days once and got two notifications about it. Could be something like that.
Humm. As I was sort of suspecting. Thx. If you can remember, does it feel right you received "reminders" approx every other day, and not on what I'd call a "regular schedule"? (Mine come at all sort of varied times of the day, not related to the time of the original update, for example.)

I'm used to generally receiving a "Software Update is Available" via my Tesla App which is great. My question is, does anyone know for a fact if there are any other conditions where this message may be pushed, e.g. if one does not schedule or decline a real update to take place, perhaps the message is occasionally resent as a reminder -- even if there isn't a newer physical update that has been sent and is ready for installation?

I ask because my MS has been sitting unmoved in the parking lot around my SvC for more than a week awaiting it's first annual service. I've now received 5 different notifications that a "Software Update is Available" from my Tesla App, all at different times of the day with no apparent scheduled pattern. Perhaps there have been 5 different new dot releases since 8.0 2.36.108 (which my MS had when I took it in), but that does not align with what the tracker is showing across a much more limited subset of the fleet. I'm just trying to get my head around if perhaps there are many more smaller releases appearing in the wild than we may have been seeing in the tracker, or if these "Software Update is Available" messages I've been receiving may just be a repetitive reminder vs. only that something new is ready for installation.

Most likely just repetitive reminders. Maybe because it's sitting at a SvC. I've heard strange things can happen there... :oops:

Humm. As I was sort of suspecting. Thx. If you can remember, does it feel right you received "reminders" approx every other day, and not on what I'd call a "regular schedule"? (Mine come at all sort of varied times of the day, not related to the time of the original update, for example.)
I only got the two, so probably not enough to determine any sort of pattern. I think they were a day or two apart, though. Pretty sure it wasn't consecutive days.

• Helpful
Reactions: BertL
I once kept my Tesla parked in my garage for 4 months without ever doing a software update. I only got one notification near the beginning, and never got one again, even though there were at least 2 updates available in that 4 month period.

I once kept my Tesla parked in my garage for 4 months without ever doing a software update. I only got one notification near the beginning, and never got one again, even though there were at least 2 updates available in that 4 month period.
Odd. Perhaps Tesla has changed things. My MS has been sitting, unmoved and untouched, best I can determine via Remote S (TU!) now for more than 13 days at the SvC waiting to get serviced. In that time, I'm up to 6, maybe 7 notifications of a new update being available -- last one just a few hours ago. By now, with observations of others, it's got to be "renotifications" occurring on a more frequent basis than you experienced back in the day, and not new code drops. ;). I'll at least know what the last firmware update is when I eventually :rolleyes: get my MS back.

I should probably add that whenever my car is in service and they do a firmware update via the laptop, I think I get a "software update is available" notification.

Also, I should add that when my car was sitting in the garage for 4 months, it had energy savings turned on, "always connected" turned off, and valet mode turned on. The car was left "asleep" for those 4 months. After around 2-3 months, it went into some deep sleep mode, and I couldn't access the car via the mobile app anymore until I physically got into the car and awake it.

Also, my memory might be fuzzy, because this happened a year ago. But I do vaguely remembering that if I don't update the software in the car, I never got another notification for a new software update again. This was back in v 7.0, though.

P. S. I turn on valet mode when I'm away from the house for long periods of time for extra security, because a valet can't disable mobile access. So I figured that if someone stole my car keys from my house, I'd still be able to track him.

• Informative
Reactions: NullException