Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update(s) - Continuous Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this week, I received and updated to 2023.44.30.2. Yesterday I was offered 2023.44.30.5.1, and it told me I could either install it then, or it would schedule. I elected to schedule. The upgrade started at the scheduled time--01:35. It's been stuck at 10% since that time (according to the phone app). My display in the vehicle just shows the black update screen with the message that it's "Unwrapping Present" and the update number. (This doesn't feel like much of a present to me.)

So, essentially 6+ hours have passed. My sense is that it's having a problem and that it will never update given its own attempts. Any thoughts of what I should do here? I've opened a service request, but it's anyone's guess as to how long that will take.

Thanks!

Earlier this week, I received and updated to 2023.44.30.2. Yesterday I was offered 2023.44.30.5.1, and it told me I could either install it then, or it would schedule. I elected to schedule. The upgrade started at the scheduled time--01:35. It's been stuck at 10% since that time (according to the phone app). My display in the vehicle just shows the black update screen with the message that it's "Unwrapping Present" and the update number. (This doesn't feel like much of a present to me.)

So, essentially 6+ hours have passed. My sense is that it's having a problem and that it will never update given its own attempts. Any thoughts of what I should do here? I've opened a service request, but it's anyone's guess as to how long that will take.

Thanks!
Just relax and give it time. There are Millions waiting to download so it can be a line.

Just relax and give it time. There are Millions waiting to download so it can be a line.
Hi, thanks. My sense is that it's already downloaded. Other updates have said downloading before they start the installation itself, and it is only when the installation starts that the display goes black with the message indicating that it's updating. And, in my case, that it where it is stuck. So, I have this black screen with an "updating" message; it does not show the vehicle as it normally would (where I can open the charge port, trunk, etc.).

Update on this. Nine hours later I received a notification on my phone that the update failed. I checked the car and it had the same message, with additional information stating that a new update would be sent in the future. I don't know if this was a natural evolution of the problem, or if the service request I opened prodded Tesla to take some level of intervention.

Either way, at least I have the normal screen back and I can drive the car. If this update is the one with the recall, I'm not super interested in getting it installed--especially if it is having issues noted by an individual in this thread.

Just relax and give it time. There are Millions waiting to download so it can be a lin

Thanks!
I had a similar experience. It may have been a coincidence, but A reboot resolved it for me.

Update to my previous update. As promised in the "failed" message, the vehicle did indeed note that I had an update. It hung at Downloaded 100% for about 36 hours. I was then presented with the message that an update was ready to be installed with the usual options. I opted to install it immediately versus scheduling it for later. (I wanted to follow the progress.)

Once it showed 30% complete, I was pretty confident that it was going to be successful this time. And, indeed, it did finish the update without any visible issues. After the installation, everything works as expected. FSD on a path I took prior to the update (so 2023.44.30.2) was a lot better than the prior trip. With that said, I know this doesn't mean anything...FSD always seems to be a roll of the dice.

Happy to have this one behind me. I personally don't cling to updates, even if they have something I might want. (30.2 had the enhanced parking assist which I was looking forward to trying. As I expected, it still isn't very useful.) What was troublesome about this one was the period of time that I could not drive the car. That was annoying.

I like to be the *last* one to install a given update. Might not be obvious, but bad software updates can even cause hardware failures. Being out of warranty, that's a battle I'm very much not interested in having.

With this one, being last is difficult. The third iteration offered to me is "waiting for wifi". The first and second iterations were also "waiting for wifi" at one point or another but withdrawn, hours or days after being offered. At this point, it is hard to be the last one to install the last iteration of the 'Continuous Holiday Update' let alone be the last person to install the final version, whatever that turns out to be. The second iteration was offered to me for over a week before being recalled.

Last year, there was no compelling feature worth risking updating so I went from November 2022 to April 2023 without updating. Unless I'm force fed the recall over LTE, I likely will end up doing the same this year and just hold out for whatever update contains v12.1+x or higher if the rumours are correct and it is imminent. (No point getting v12.1 for the same reason you and I don't have any version of 44.30.x.)

Reactions: KArnold