Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update freezes at 80%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on version 2020.36.10 the day before yesterday and had an overnight update. I went out to drive the car in the morning only to find that the screen was stuck at 80% update (after 12 hours or more overnight) and the car was un drivable. I eventually got it working by at least 2 hard reboots and messing around for 10 minutes or so. The following night exactly the same thing happened - stuck at 80%. In order to get it running again I had to hard reset twice (brake pedal and steering wheel buttons) again taking 10 minutes or so. It might have worked if I just hard rebooted once and then left it for ten minutes, not sure.

After a lot of internet searching today I found someone suggested on Redit that it might be the USB data sticks. I took them both out and tried a manual up date and it worked first time. Thought I would post it here just in case anyone was experiencing a similar issue.

Not quite sure why the USB datasticks cause the problem but they seem to at least in my case. Perhaps the system is trying to clear the security camera data and times out? Seems that they might need to be emptied manualy from time to time.