Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update Geo-IP restricted? How about updating on Lo Wu border?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey I just had an idea - are the Tesla updates geo-IP restricted? If Summon is available in China, could you drive your Tesla to Sheung Shui or Lo Wu where your Model S would get reception from a Chinese telecoms company and then if you update your firmware, could you get the China updates with full autopilot and summon??

Hey I just had an idea - are the Tesla updates geo-IP restricted?

Supposedly not. People who have moved their car to another region still get updates.

If Summon is available in China, could you drive your Tesla to Sheung Shui or Lo Wu where your Model S would get reception from a Chinese telecoms company and then if you update your firmware, could you get the China updates with full autopilot and summon?

No. The update you get is based on your car and its configuration. If it is a Hong Kong car, you'll get Hong Kong updates no matter where you update from.

i am thinking of something else after reading your post

if TD thinks Summon is dangerous on HK road, shall they ban all China model S (those left-hand drive version) from entering HK? as these are "dangerous" cars by TD's standard, shouldn't exist in HK as of today

(i met one left-hand drive model S at supercharger station before and personally i welcome drivers from China to come into HK in an EV rather than an ICE car for the sake of our already-not-so-good air quality)

Technically, it appears that the TD has ruled that the full autosteer and lane change functions are not approved on Hong Kong roads, only our geo-restricted version. So any China car using those features on unsuitable roads would be breaking the law here.

just like that warning they sent out to HK drivers that they shouldn't use the features until they have been approved.

Of course, it is just another of the hundreds of unenforceable HK laws, and the onus would be on TD in a prosecution to prove why the feature was not roadworthy. I would suspect that would be an uphill battle unless the feature itself was the cause of an accident that triggered the prosecution.

Technically, it appears that the TD has ruled that the full autosteer and lane change functions are not approved on Hong Kong roads, only our geo-restricted version. So any China car using those features on unsuitable roads would be breaking the law here.

And yet the most blatant example of lack of understanding and policy enforcement comes from seeing other Hong Kong market cars get away with this. So TD turns a blind eye to other manufactures' because their's don't receive as much publicity?

I can understand the archaic ignorance in policy development, but at least be consistent.

we can't reason with TD. like the HK observatory, TD is the only expert in this world, no one else knows anything. if they think something's dangerous, it can't be safe no matter what

but if they allow China version's to drive around HK while banning HK to the same firmware update, we may have a case in the ombudsman office

"Maladministration" means inefficient, bad or improper administration. It may take many forms, which include: Disparity in treatment, unfairness
http://www.ombudsman.hk/en-us/about_this_office/role_and_jurisdiction.html
judging from HK government admin style, i am pretty sure we will have summon once ombudsman begins investigation (if and only if ombudsman agrees there's a case and begins investigation)

i am not sure whether China model S will be breaking HK law, i remember TD was threatening HK owners with something like we can't "modify" our cars without approval, thereby they can ban the firmware update by refusing to approve this "modification". China model S wont fall into this category as they are "modified" elsewhere

i dont think TD has ground to ban China model S to come into HK and thus they can't remove the "unfairness" this way even they dare to offend their VIPs

Last edited by a moderator: