Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
while on holiday break this week I got a software update notification sometime yesterday. I came home today and it’s no longer available on my app nor the car screen. Anyone seen this? It’s ljke they pulled it after a number of hours? I’m on 42.3.

Wonder if the reports of the charge port not letting go of the charger had anything to do with it?

It would be cool if Tesla had a system like Microsoft has for their insider program. Alpha for immediate use, but most likely to have a ton of bugs, a Beta for some bugs and release. Maybe they already have it, and I've not heard of it. But then again, it's quite risky for a car versus an Xbox. LOL

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
same thing happened to me. actually happens frequently. If you wait a bit and Tesla decides to pull that release (likely because they found an issue and are working on another point release), the update will disappear. I suspect this was a notification for 44.2. My guess is that no one is going to be getting 44.2 from this point forward.

same thing happened to me. actually happens frequently. If you wait a bit and Tesla decides to pull that release (likely because they found an issue and are working on another point release), the update will disappear. I suspect this was a notification for 44.2. My guess is that no one is going to be getting 44.2 from this point forward.

I just got 44.2 last night and still have it... Hopefully whatever they pulled it for isn’t too bad.

It would be cool if Tesla had a system like Microsoft has for their insider program

Microsoft has had a number of recent embarrassing update blunders. There’s the botched Win10 1809 “October” update that wasn’t actually released until November, another recent MS Office update that caused some application crashes, and finally a not widely publicized update that affected a handful of organizations using Office 365 (my workplace included) about 3 weeks ago which caused many MDM provisioned mobile devices to lose email access when using native mail apps. So I for one hope that Tesla has their “poop” together better than MS has lately.

But yes, Tesla has an “early access” program with a select few owners that get pre-release updates so they can provide feedback and bug reports. You have to be invited and there’s no way to request an invitation (although I believe with enough referrals you can join as one of the “prizes”).

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist an opportunity to rail about Microsoft. Their recent bad updates have been nothing but disappointment and caused extra unnecessary work for me and others at my job over the past few weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: Frunkenstein
Microsoft has had a number of recent embarrassing update blunders. There’s the botched Win10 1809 “October” update that wasn’t actually released until November, another recent MS Office update that caused some application crashes, and finally a not widely publicized update that affected a handful of organizations using Office 365 (my workplace included) about 3 weeks ago which caused many MDM provisioned mobile devices to lose email access when using native mail apps. So I for one hope that Tesla has their “poop” together better than MS has lately.

But yes, Tesla has an “early access” program with a select few owners that get pre-release updates so they can provide feedback and bug reports. You have to be invited and there’s no way to request an invitation (although I believe with enough referrals you can join as one of the “prizes”).

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist an opportunity to rail about Microsoft. Their recent bad updates have been nothing but disappointment and caused extra unnecessary work for me and others at my job over the past few weeks.

All good. I was referring to their Xbox program, but I understand your frustration. Of course since this a vehicle here, safety is top priority. I wouldn't want a loosely run testing program out there. Cool to know they have a program for testing. I certainly don't want to be a part of it. I'll stick to the Xbox items of the world where if something messed up, I'd be ok.

Don't feel too bad, 39.7.1 here.... :(

I would think having the lower update number would be a badge of honor - meaning no bugs need to be eradicated. Of course the 'new feature' updates are good to get anytime.

Also still on 39.7. Have good Wifi and have recently spent an afternoon at a service center - no update was required.

Discuss......

I don’t want to rail on Microsoft but I’ve worked at large companies that run public early access programs like that before. And my experience has been that while it’s useful for some things, it’s not a magic cure for this kind of quality issue.

You end up with a selection bias where the kinds of users that opt into betas are generally more tolerant of software defects or do so to get access to a handful of desired new features, but don’t really report any issues. And the internal development / release planning meetings have far far more discussions like “Hey QA team, did you test XXXX?” “No, but we shipped it in the last few betas and haven’t heard any reports of issues” “Well ok then we can test other stuff then....”

From a customer perspective, betas are a good way for impatient customers to get access to new features, knowing they might not be fully baked yet. For a company, it’s a good way to collect feedback on potential PR disaster controversial decisions being made.

Reactions: Frunkenstein