Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates included in the drivetrain warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the 4 yr,50k mile warranty. But since the cars are constantly being updated and so much of car is software driven. Stuff happens and sometimes downloads fail etc etc.

What happens in a software issue after the basic warranty? Since this involves the driving ability of vehicle would software update related issues be covered in the longer battery and drivetrain warranty?

I understand the 4 yr,50k mile warranty. But since the cars are constantly being updated and so much of car is software driven. Stuff happens and sometimes downloads fail etc etc.

What happens in a software issue after the basic warranty? Since this involves the driving ability of vehicle would software update related issues be covered in the longer battery and drivetrain warranty?

Well, for starters it isn’t a drivetrain warranty, it is only a drive unit warranty. So if a software update caused your drive unit to fail outside the basic warranty, that would be covered.

Based on the experiences of folks who have had their MCU fail after a software update out of the basic warranty, you end up paying for the repair. Tesla has done a few as “goodwill” but that was at their discretion.

Not sure about a failed software update out of warranty, sometimes those do force a tow. You could probably make the argument to Tesla to have them pay, but it might be an uphill battle.

Reactions: cwerdna
Yes..so to clarify. So what happens if a software push ..let's say 5 years down the road fails. One could argue that the software is a critical component of driving the vehicle. Is that covered under the 100k/120k warranty?

Yes..so to clarify. So what happens if a software push ..let's say 5 years down the road fails. One could argue that the software is a critical component of driving the vehicle. Is that covered under the 100k/120k warranty?

I'm still unclear what you mean by "fails"

Generally if the update fails to install, the old version just keeps running, so nothing critical is disabled or impacted at all, and the install can be pushed again later.

If the update had a bug that critically impacts operation it would impact EVERYONE who got it regardless of warranty, and be fixed for everyone with a (usually quick) update fixing the bug.

The 100k/120k warranty covers the battery and drive unit(s), that's it. I suppose if a SW update, I dunno, somehow caused the front DU to shut down on an AWD car, that would be "covered" but that wouldn't matter since again it would impact EVERYONE (with 2 DUs) and would be fixed quickly via an updated version of the SW.

It's not like Bob at the Service Center does software coding on your specific car to fix something. It all comes from HQ.

If a software update causes your car to do weird things eg audio glitches, or the settings are not retained after a reboot, the service centre will remotely fix it, regardless of whether it's in warranty or not. If it's a hardware issue, then you're into negotiations .

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Check online, installing firmware updates is "required" for warranty, something that I did not know prior to getting the car and was never disclosed. For the most part, no problem but before ELDA could be turned off permanently I was avoiding updates for a bit..

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

"You must install all software updates as soon as they are available and any harm relating to the failure to install a software update will not be covered by the vehicle’s warranty. Failure or refusal to install such updates may result in the inaccessibility of certain vehicle features (including incompatibility with digital media devices) or in Tesla being unable to diagnose and service your vehicle. Note: If software updates are not installed, some vehicle features may become inaccessible and digital media devices may become incompatible. "

Think of it this way, if you had an ICE car and you took it in to the dealer to have a recall done on it and they ended up making your car undriveable, they'd take of it and fix it. Tesla will do the same if a software update make your car unuseable.

Reactions: TDFW