Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software v21.31.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on 21.31.0 and I am Backup Only, No solar. I keep seeing my powerwall take power, feed the house, and then take more power from the grid. The cycle is a constant loop of charging, discharging, and going on standby. This loop repeats itself every 2 minutes. The grid feeds about 300w to the powerwalls for 45 seconds, the powerwalls then feed about 200w to the house for 45 seconds, and then goes into standby for 30 seconds. Then rinse and repeat. This has been going on for about 9 hours if I look back into the app history.

Very strange.

Reactions: GaitherBill
Anyone notice this new behavior with the update?
1629880244337.png

I'm in Self-Powered mode... The Powerwalls have been slowly filling up after the sun had set through the occasional grid siphon, I would say...

At 17%, the Powerwalls auto-switch to Self-Powered w/85% Reserve... And I am seeing in the app a Grid -> Powerwall spike every few minutes or so.... The app is also still reporting 17% while the web GUI reports 21%... Raw API data shows it's gone from 16.0 to 16.9 in the last 3 hours (since the auto-switch)...

Anyone notice this new behavior with the update?
View attachment 701098
I'm in Self-Powered mode... The Powerwalls have been slowly filling up after the sun had set through the occasional grid siphon, I would say...

At 17%, the Powerwalls auto-switch to Self-Powered w/85% Reserve... And I am seeing in the app a Grid -> Powerwall spike every few minutes or so.... The app is also still reporting 17% while the web GUI reports 21%... Raw API data shows it's gone from 16.0 to 16.9 in the last 3 hours (since the auto-switch)...
This is exactly what I am seeing, but is cycles between charging from the grid, to jointly powering my house and grid powering the house, back to charging from the grid, only a few kW at a time, every 2 minutes.

This is exactly what I am seeing, but is cycles between charging from the grid, to jointly powering my house and grid powering the house, back to charging from the grid, only a few kW at a time, every 2 minutes.
Definitely wish they pushed out release/change notes with version updates... Can even see the negative space in the house graph, while the grid is still higher because the Powerwall is being fed...
1629910694793.png

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
There are a couple pre-built solutions out there like GitHub - liveaverage/docker-powerwall-dashboard: Grafana dashboard showing trend & historical data polled from Tesla Powerwall 2 API served up in an easy to use docker image
However I went a little more manually and used the python module from here GitHub - jrester/tesla_powerwall: Python API for Tesla Powerwall and have some scripts to handle sending the data to influxdb
And for those that are lazy and just like using curl, I've been using (and contributing to) this documentation effort: GitHub - vloschiavo/powerwall2: Tesla Powerwall 2 - Local Gateway API documentation

I've been on 21.24.2 for a couple of weeks now.. not sure what the changelog is, but, yes, my web GUI has the same shrunken powerwall display:
View attachment 700269
Huh. So your screenshot shows 21.24.2, which I've had since... Aug 17. But yeah, I see your Powerwall graphic is shortened like @eml2 's screenshot.

But I have a screenshot from July 3, a few days after I got firmware 21.20.3 , and it's also got a "short" Powerwall:
1629917268103.png

So I don't think that change is recent. Maybe it used to change size based on your Browser?

But yes, definitely shrunken from whenever Tesla documented connecting to your gateway:
1629917371635.png

(Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support)

And for those that are lazy and just like using curl, I've been using (and contributing to) this documentation effort: GitHub - vloschiavo/powerwall2: Tesla Powerwall 2 - Local Gateway API documentation
Speaking of API documentation, I just added a note in the issues, because a few weeks I found what might be a useful new endpoint:
https://teg/api/devices/vitals

It returns a binary file, but somebody has figured out how to decode it (I just wish they'd share a script. :)

Anywho in 21.31.0, I found there's new data about string level voltage for people who really dig that kind of stuff.

Speaking of API documentation, I just added a note in the issues, because a few weeks I found what might be a useful new endpoint:
https://teg/api/devices/vitals

It returns a binary file, but somebody has figured out how to decode it (I just wish they'd share a script. :)

Anywho in 21.31.0, I found there's new data about string level voltage for people who really dig that kind of stuff.
I just posted the parser I wrote to Found a new endpoint, but it returns a binary file · Issue #51 · vloschiavo/powerwall2

Reactions: darryllee
(moderator note)

I moved posts on the new app to the thread in this section I created for that discussion. This thread is about the powerwall software version, so I wanted to keep that separate from app features. That thread is here:

Since the post on new app has been moved to another post, the reason I posted on new app initially was because it revealed that Tesla has removed Backup-only mode as a powerwall setting, and it is now replaced with Self-Powered with 100% reserve. Tesla support website also reflects this change (see below). I have noticed in the past that Powerwall with reserve of 100% had a different behavior than Backup-only mode, and I was told by Tesla tech that Backup-only mode was optimized for backup use case. It is interesting that now Tesla have decided to change behavior. I have created a service ticket with Tesla support to make sure this is not an oversight when they have decided to streamline Powerwall modes.

Backup Reserve
With Backup Reserve, your Powerwall provides you with energy security during a grid outage. Set your preferred reserve percentage by adjusting the slider at the top of the ‘Settings’ screen:

• If you prefer to reserve more energy during a grid outage, or if your area is more prone to outages, you can set a higher reserve percentage.

• If you prefer to optimize your Powerwall performance when Self-Powered or Time-Based Control mode is enabled, you can set a lower reserve percentage.

During an outage, your Powerwall may discharge below your reserve percentage. When the outage is resolved, your Powerwall may charge above your reserve percentage. To use your Powerwall as a backup-only appliance, select Self-Powered mode with a Backup Reserve of 100%.
source: Powerwall Modes | Tesla Support

Since the post on new app has been moved to another post, the reason I posted on new app initially was because it revealed that Tesla has removed Backup-only mode as a powerwall setting, and it is now replaced with Self-Powered with 100% reserve. Tesla support website also reflects this change (see below). I have noticed in the past that Powerwall with reserve of 100% had a different behavior than Backup-only mode, and I was told by Tesla tech that Backup-only mode was optimized for backup use case. It is interesting that now Tesla have decided to change behavior. I have created a service ticket with Tesla support to make sure this is not an oversight when they have decided to streamline Powerwall modes.

source: Powerwall Modes | Tesla Support

I dont know if its an accident or not, but "backup only" is absolutely removed. It is also not mentioned any longer as a mode in any current tesla documentation, so it cant be an oversight, it was done on purpose.

I dont know why it was done on purpose, and it could have been removed "because it causes confusion" or some such reason, but there is virtually no chance it was an accident since all reference to it was also removed from mention in all documentation.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker