Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Charging an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When a hurricane hits, power lines go down all over town. Power can be out for a couple hours or 6 weeks. Where I live, rarely is power out more than 1-2 weeks. During that time, the weather is still HOT and we need A/C to sleep. I would also like it if the milk in the fridge didn't go bad. Even though the sun goes down late in hurricane season, it is still nice to have light to read at night... also a TV to watch to keep up with the news would be nice.

Some of these might do the job:

Last edited by a moderator:
thats no SPAM!!! the beaconpower can deliver up to 1MW at three phase. Model S can be charged with 20kW+. Looks like this may provide a perfect charging infrastructure. Loaded with cheap power through the night and deliver high power when needed.

He's pissed off at solar-charged electric cars

anti-ev-ers.jpg

Well, DUH!! :rolleyes::tongue:

When a hurricane hits, power lines go down all over town. Power can be out for a couple hours or 6 weeks. Where I live, rarely is power out more than 1-2 weeks. During that time, the weather is still HOT and we need A/C to sleep. I would also like it if the milk in the fridge didn't go bad.
Don't know your situation but if you're building from scratch it might be worth it to go with a ground source heat pump system. So much more efficient than a traditional A/C system so you could get by with much less energy storage. Also super insulation and below grade construction if you can do it.

Has anyone configured their solar to charge their car without grid access? Say on a sunny day during a long blackout?

That would have to be pretty frustrating if you know you were generating Kw while having a dead car.

I talked to the solar company doing my installation about redirecting solar generation during a power outage. The inverters that would allow that are significantly more expensive and I opted not to go that route (but an upgrade for the future when the technology price goes down). Instead, I'm installing a propane generator that will allow me to charge the car, run basic appliances, etc. for a few weeks. Imperfect solution, but seemed the most reasonable.