Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar City / Tesla no bid residential solar upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The installer who did my first system quoted me $20K for a 5KW system of SunPower panels. Does that sound about right?

They claim my Tesla Powerwalls will bolt onto their system easily whenever I get them from the referral program.
One other thing about SunPower is that they are the only company that certifies that their entire supply chain and manufacturing processes are environmentally responsible. You will improve local air quality and reduce consumption of non-renewable fuels without worrying that you may be polluting air, water or ground somewhere else in the world.

Reactions: abasile
Overall, $3-$3.50/Watt for solar is in the correct ballpark. Sunpower caries a premium, they are the best quality for sure. So $20k for 5kW with Sunpower panels is within reason.

I installed a 7.56kW system using LG panels a little over a year ago and paid $3.50/W. They are on a flat roof which adds a bit to the expense.

**Note my data is based on the industry as it was last year in San Diego. Times may have changed and prices are a bit regional. Forums - Solar Panels - Solar Panels Forum is a great resource.

The installer who did my first system quoted me $20K for a 5KW system of SunPower panels. Does that sound about right?

They claim my Tesla Powerwalls will bolt onto their system easily whenever I get them from the referral program.

FWIW - competitive market prices are in the $2/watt range here in FL for panels and inverter only with no batteries. Quotes vary from $2-$ so its smart to shop carefully.

Best quote I got for a 5.04 kW (14x 360w panels) SunPower is 18K + change before ITC. This is in SoCal.

PM me if you want the installer's name, as I don't know if I'm allowed to mention it here on the board. I also want referral credit, lol.

If PowerWall 2 is AC-coupled, it should bolt on to any PV system without additional PV work (via the Tesla Gateway). I got this in writing from two SunPower installers.

I walked away from SolarCity because the best they could do was max 15x 325w panels @ 4.875 kW on my roof. 20K quote!

SolarCity told me that they would match a comparable offer given to them.
Do you really want to deal with a business that marks things up unless you catch them on it? Cable companies do this.

They also only work if you have roof-space to burn -- I don't. I've told SS it's too late to price match if they're already pricing above SunPower, which is heads-above better tech.

The only thing SolarCity / Tesla doesn't seem to be gouging on is the PowerWall 2. Everybody else is gouging if install total for one is > $8K. There's a complete list of gougers if you check the SGIP list of applicants.

Reactions: brucet999
FWIW - competitive market prices are in the $2/watt range here in FL for panels and inverter only with no batteries. Quotes vary from $2-$ so its smart to shop carefully.
I'm guessing that is for a string inverter without optimizers fed by low efficiency polycrystalline modules with high LID losses and high annual degradation rates. OK if you have lots of roof area and willing to accept the degradation.

My comment on retail for solar is if YOU go out and buy it and install it using contractors you trust as subs.

Certainly 'retail' solar is $3 a watt from a marketing wall street firm pretending its a solar company.

But if you go to an electrical contractor and price all of the parts - sold at retail to a consumer - its as I stated.

I received a call from someone at SolarCity/Tesla yesterday about my quote. I think this thread might have helped get their attention and escalation.

She said they could put in an additional system for my roof. As she got more information, she paused on my roof material--DaVinci resin artificial shake shingles. She wanted to check with engineering and call me back. After 30 minutes, she called back to say they couldn't install on a roof using these for fear of causing leaks.

I told her that others had bid it without issue. These shingles are the same shape and size of shake and don't leak or crack.

Once again, TOTAL FAIL Tesla. They just don't want my money. Unbelievable.

Shut up and take my money.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: NuShrike and eml2