Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Glass Snow Avalanches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok - I need to do some real work today so I'm going to try to stay away from the forum for a bit ...

but I've been letting myself get distracted by watching the snow build up on the glass and then slide off in mini-avalanches.

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 1.08.24 PM.png

If anyone else has solar snow pictures to post, please do.

Ok - I need to do some real work today so I'm going to try to stay away from the forum for a bit ...

but I've been letting myself get distracted by watching the snow build up on the glass and then slide off in mini-avalanches.

View attachment 618234

If anyone else has solar snow pictures to post, please do.
That's pretty cool. No pictures at the moment here, but I have not seen that behavior. So far, we have only gotten about 1.5" here (and probably not much more before it changes over to mixed/rain) and the roof is evenly covered in snow. Also a 34 degree slope, which might be less than yours (but always hard to tell from photos.)

Just had the front roof go. Definitely not ideal as it dumps a ton of slushy snow over a small area, potentially damaging plants in the area and leaving a 6" pile of heavy snow/slush on our front porch (glad the mailman wasn't passing by at the time.) No visible damage to the gutters at this point, and hard to tell how much impact they took versus it just flying off.

Yeah, definitely a nuisance for your kids running out the door, too. You have to sort of listen and run. It really is insane. I wonder if we need to get the plastic stick-on-clips like the solar panels. Killing the shrubs. Going to reach out to the roofing company that did the prep and see if they have faced this.

Since this seems kind of like an avalanche in that, at least on our roof, the entire thing went at once, maybe we need Tesla to design some sort of device to mount on the ridge so we can trigger these avalanches before there is too much built up... press a button... sonic waves... avalanche!

Reactions: no2gates
Since this seems kind of like an avalanche in that, at least on our roof, the entire thing went at once, maybe we need Tesla to design some sort of device to mount on the ridge so we can trigger these avalanches before there is too much built up... press a button... sonic waves... avalanche!
I noticed earlier this year there was a (facetious?) discussion on a website about heating the tiles so the snow did not accumulate. I emailed the roofing company, the tesla installer and called customer service to see how they deal with this is snowier environs. Will post responses.

I noticed earlier this year there was a (facetious?) discussion on a website about heating the tiles so the snow did not accumulate. I emailed the roofing company, the tesla installer and called customer service to see how they deal with this is snowier environs. Will post responses.
Update 1: roofing company says not their issue. he wondered if Tesla had snow guards for the edge of the roof like you would for a slate roof. perhaps one of the other two people I contacted will have info. He did say, incidentally, that because the roof sits up so high, it is likely the case that the snow flies right over the gutter. not sure about that, but it does get pretty far from the house, so maybe.

Update 1: roofing company says not their issue. he wondered if Tesla had snow guards for the edge of the roof like you would for a slate roof. perhaps one of the other two people I contacted will have info. He did say, incidentally, that because the roof sits up so high, it is likely the case that the snow flies right over the gutter. not sure about that, but it does get pretty far from the house, so maybe.
Hopefully it mostly does, though they installed wider gutters for us to catch more rain coming off the roof, which also might catch the snow. I can see some snow was caught in the gutters (with the gutter guards, it sticks up) but it could just be the bits that got left behind the main avalanche.

I suspect snow guards could help, though I am also unaware of Tesla having installed such a product anywhere. It seems like in principle they could make something that clips on to the lower couple rows of tiles, and it might not really interfere with production as those are often blanks anyway.

This definitely sounds like one of those instances of "Tesla is a California company". Meaning, I wonder how much thought was given to the speed with which snow flows off a solar roof. As said earlier in this thread, for most Californians, Snow is "That stuff we drive to go play in, that stays over there where we vacation".

Reactions: Tres_Azul
This definitely sounds like one of those instances of "Tesla is a California company". Meaning, I wonder how much thought was given to the speed with which snow flows off a solar roof. As said earlier in this thread, for most Californians, Snow is "That stuff we drive to go play in, that stays over there where we vacation".
That could be part of it, though you would hope somebody brought it up (maybe when they were visiting Buffalo to discuss manufacturing.) But this might be the first snow for any significant number of v3 installs if most of them from 2019 were in central/southern CA (and not around Tahoe.) It will be interesting to see if we get any reports from folks between Philadelphia and Boston, where the storm is supposed to have bigger impacts.

Update 2: heard from the Tesla installers. "Last time [he] checked, Tesla was still developing snow guards for version 3, so at this time I do not believe there is anything we can install to slow the snow down." Waiting on TESLA customer service's response.

I wonder if they actually had anything for v2 - I know there weren't a ton of installs, and no idea where they were spread geographically. In any event, sounds like there would be nothing available for this winter - how quickly they develop something might depend on how much of a problem this proves to be for them.

I've had that before with an old pool heater system that mounted to the roof. Problem was every year if we got over 8-10" of snow it would come down in a sheet and bend the gutter over. One year it shattered a glass table and it didn't jive well with plants. Eventually we ripped it off for other reasons. I'm hoping physics has changed with the last election cycle and this doesn't happen with our just installed array.;)

Well I just spent 2 hours on a ladder in the freezing rain that came after inches of thick heavy snow fell. I was clearing out my brand new 6 inch gutters which were filled with snow and overflowing with runoff. First, I had to shovel the avalanche piles of snow out the way so that I could set up the ladder. I think I did enough to prevent any real problems later tonight. The temperature has dropped back down below freezing. Hope it works out.

I don't have gutter guards since most of my trees are far enough away that I don't need guards for leaves. I'm not sure if guards would have helped today - they would have at least prevented the gutters from filling with heavy snow. I'm wondering if I need a heating element for my larger gutters to keep them clear.

Also a 34 degree slope, which might be less than yours (but always hard to tell from photos.)

My roofs are very steep - the installers hated them. The garage roof is 45 degrees (12:12) and the house roof is 40 degrees (10:12).