Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels install - Not going as planned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well my install day came this past Saturday and part of the crew showed up on time 7:30 AM and the crew with all the supply's rolled up 90 mins latter. They proceeded to start the install and at 3:30 in the afternoon said they were done for the day and would call me sometime this week to get another install date scheduled to FINISH the job.

Not happy!

This likely comes because they are scheduled too tight, trying to squeeze in as many of these as possible before the end of the year. I am not trying to make an excuse for them (I realize it sounds like that, so thats why I am saying specifically that isnt my intent).

I am just speculating as to a possible reason, not saying "its Ok" for said reason.

Anyway, I realize its frustrating, and I would be frustrated too if I was in your shoes OP, but take a deep breath. There is almost no chance they dont finish your install before the end of the year, so you will get your 26% tax credit, and winter production is almost 1/2 sprint / summer production, so much better to have this happening now, than may - june and losing a bunch of production.

Reactions: ChicagoSox
Our solar panel portion took place over 3 days. 24 panels on 2-story house. First day was prepping the roof for the rails on our cement tiles and installing some of the panels. Second day they finished the panels and started adding the skirts. We had also purchased pest abatement through them and the same team was doing that. This was something they had just started doing here and only one of the guys was experienced so was training the others in his team. They ran out of the metal mesh so had to finish up another day. They did a nice job and cleaned the area well. All really nice guys, professional and polite. Pretty much put in full days the first two days out. That was in something like 90+ degree temps during covid with masks and monitoring the wildfire smoke conditions which did necessitate a return one of the days a few days out because the air was unhealthy for working in. All of our solar work was outside so really no inconvenience to us inside. We were happy to have had a good team and happy we now have our solar up and running after PTO.

Stuff happens on jobs and things can take longer than anticipated. It’s not like they are mowing the grass. When we had a few days wait for the last part to be completed we were being fit in the schedule with other jobs that had been scheduled. We honestly didn’t see this as a problem. I’m sure they are trying to schedule as many job as reasonable to get as many people in before end of year and federal tax credit and still leave some time for jobs that unexpectedly require more time for one reason or another than anticipated so the whole teams install schedule isn’t pushed back.

Reactions: nwdiver
Well my install day came this past Saturday and part of the crew showed up on time 7:30 AM and the crew with all the supply's rolled up 90 mins latter. They proceeded to start the install and at 3:30 in the afternoon said they were done for the day and would call me sometime this week to get another install date scheduled to FINISH the job.

Not happy!

it because i was just told "we will call you in a few days to setup another appointment". This is actually the 2nd time they started and didn't finish last appointment was October 24th, and i have all the panels stacked in my backyard.

If they have all this work and cant finish it on consecutive days HIRE MORE CREWS!

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
it because i was just told "we will call you in a few days to setup another appointment". This is actually the 2nd time they started and didn't finish last appointment was October 24th, and i have all the panels stacked in my backyard.

If they have all this work and cant finish it on consecutive days HIRE MORE CREWS!
Like I said...first time construction project? AND during COVID? Consider yourself lucky if they finish by end of year.

It's not so easy to hire qualified guys and get them trained on your products. And they have been hiring all along. Tesla said this year was going to be the year they were going to focus more on solar and they have been. There are people wanting systems in places that don't have anyone to service. They won't open up an area from what we've heard until they can set up and supply another warehouse and train the people. Yes and we had panels stacked in our back yard too for a period of time. Not the end of the world. The panels are exposed to the outside on the roof anyway.

Most construction works like this. Contractors move between jobs as different subs are needed and become available.

Reactions: bhzmark
Most construction works like this. Contractors move between jobs as different subs are needed and become available.

Totally true, but by the same token, the most frustrating thing for me (and I believe many others) is lack of communication. Personally, I would rather be told " Unfortunately we can not finish today, I called scheduling on your behalf myself, and the next time our crew is available and in your area is "insert date 9 days out". I went ahead and scheduled it for you, but if that doesnt work, please call scheduling and work with them to confirm a different date.

(meaning, if they cant finish, someone on the crew take initiative to contact scheduling on my behalf, and take care of that so they can just tell me when they will be back... and then show up when they say they do).

With that being said, we have talked about this before in this section I think, but for some reason, construction in general is not filled with people who tend to be communicative in the ways many people want. Even successful contractors many times take a long time to return calls, or push jobs, etc.

Only speaking for myself here, but as long as I am communicated to, I am fairly happy. I get frustrated when given mis-information, or no information. Sounds to me like OP is in same place, and because they are in the middle of it, clearly frustrated and just venting.

Totally true, but by the same token, the most frustrating thing for me (and I believe many others) is lack of communication. Personally, I would rather be told " Unfortunately we can not finish today, I called scheduling on your behalf myself, and the next time our crew is available and in your area is "insert date 9 days out". I went ahead and scheduled it for you, but if that doesnt work, please call scheduling and work with them to confirm a different date.

(meaning, if they cant finish, someone on the crew take initiative to contact scheduling on my behalf, and take care of that so they can just tell me when they will be back... and then show up when they say they do).

With that being said, we have talked about this before in this section I think, but for some reason, construction in general is not filled with people who tend to be communicative in the ways many people want. Even successful contractors many times take a long time to return calls, or push jobs, etc.

Only speaking for myself here, but as long as I am communicated to, I am fairly happy. I get frustrated when given mis-information, or no information. Sounds to me like OP is in same place, and because they are in the middle of it, clearly frustrated and just venting.

Exactly this ! and its not like I'm not paying 23K for this !

Like I said...first time construction project? AND during COVID? Consider yourself lucky if they finish by end of year.

You keep assuming this is my first construction project like you know me? Its not and you seem to ignore the issues of non communication and that its acceptable.

Asking to be kept in the loop of the project and to have a timeline is not abnormal.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
i agree that communication is key to a successful project... Also with our project, the team was scheduled for 3 days onsite... so the same crew showed up all three days, which actually took 4, and now still need over 15 tiles replaced... but that's another story... it is awkward though in this business to see them chopping up the install into different scheduled dates, and none of them are consecutive. That seems less then efficient, and i manage high rise condos and do project management majority of my days...

You keep assuming this is my first construction project like you know me? Its not and you seem to ignore the issues of non communication and that its acceptable.

Asking to be kept in the loop of the project and to have a timeline is not abnormal.
You're making a lot of assumptions.

I'm not saying the lack of communication is acceptable. Just that it's par for the course with construction projects and certainly for anything Tesla is involved in. I don't understand your surprise or outrage unless this is, in fact, your first project or first dealing with Tesla.

If it is not, as you claim, then your expectations should be set.

• Disagree

Totally agree about the lack of communications with contractors. We have remodeled 80% of our house over the last 5 years. We have gone weeks with the walls half off in the living room and no subs showing up on site. You call and they say they swamped and doing their best, which I think they are. In the end, you want the good sub-contractors, not just the ones that are available.

We waited 4 weeks for their best tile guy to get to our master bathroom remodel. Every single tile is perfectly cut. There are zero gaps. And the heated floors are so nice.

Reactions: jjrandorin
it is awkward though in this business to see them chopping up the install into different scheduled dates, and none of them are consecutive. That seems less then efficient, and i manage high rise condos and do project management majority of my days...

I think the issue is that they really need to keep their crews working at all times. Obviously they need to estimate how long each job will take and schedule that much time, but there’s always a chance that something unexpected will come up and the job may take longer than they anticipated.

If they err on the side of caution and schedule a job for two days, but then finish the job in one day then their crew will be sitting there twiddling their thumbs on that second day. These install jobs typically get scheduled days or weeks in advance and because of all the permitting and coordination with the homeowner and such there’s a good chance that they won’t be able to find a place for that crew to work on the next day. Especially if they only have one day available, but only multi day jobs coming up.

On the other hand, if they assume a job is going to only take one day, but it goes over and they need a second day then it’s certainly inconvenient for the homeowner to have to wait to get that second day scheduled, but it keeps their crews working, which I think is their priority.

I think the issue is that they really need to keep their crews working at all times. Obviously they need to estimate how long each job will take and schedule that much time, but there’s always a chance that something unexpected will come up and the job may take longer than they anticipated.

If they err on the side of caution and schedule a job for two days, but then finish the job in one day then their crew will be sitting there twiddling their thumbs on that second day. These install jobs typically get scheduled days or weeks in advance and because of all the permitting and coordination with the homeowner and such there’s a good chance that they won’t be able to find a place for that crew to work on the next day. Especially if they only have one day available, but only multi day jobs coming up.

On the other hand, if they assume a job is going to only take one day, but it goes over and they need a second day then it’s certainly inconvenient for the homeowner to have to wait to get that second day scheduled, but it keeps their crews working, which I think is their priority.

The biggest issue by us is that if you don't keep your subs busy they have many other contractors that will. So if one thing slips and you put them off a day, they are gone until their next opening.