Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels or Solar Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what our CPA said:

"There is guidance that the cost over and above a "normal" roof cost would qualify for the credit. Thus, if a "normal" roof would cost $10K and the Tesla roof is $30K, the qualify costs would be $20K, or a credit of $5,200 if completed in 2020. The credit drops to 22% in 2021."
I think as long as your CPA can back it up, go with it. That said, what I've seen is the IRS is pretty explicit about what is and is not eligible with solar shingles (the term the IRS uses) and it seems that the credit is supposed to be based on the cost of installing the solar shingles (and this, presumably, is why Tesla breaks it out the way it does.) As it happens, the differences might not be that different given the way Tesla is pricing things. (As a side note, for those who include powerwalls, those can also be claimed in the credit, including install costs.)

What is notable is that at least one solar shingle competitor (and they do exist, at least on paper) had asserted that because the non-solar shingles are an integral portion of the roof system, that the entire roof cost could be claimed. I have not seen any reputable backing for this, and I don't plan to be the one who tries to hash that out with the IRS.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I think as long as your CPA can back it up, go with it. That said, what I've seen is the IRS is pretty explicit about what is and is not eligible with solar shingles (the term the IRS uses) and it seems that the credit is supposed to be based on the cost of installing the solar shingles (and this, presumably, is why Tesla breaks it out the way it does.) As it happens, the differences might not be that different given the way Tesla is pricing things. (As a side note, for those who include powerwalls, those can also be claimed in the credit, including install costs.)

What is notable is that at least one solar shingle competitor (and they do exist, at least on paper) had asserted that because the non-solar shingles are an integral portion of the roof system, that the entire roof cost could be claimed. I have not seen any reputable backing for this, and I don't plan to be the one who tries to hash that out with the IRS.

Yep, I received a pretty high quote for solar roof from another company...I would liken that claim to other solar providers who offer integrated roof + solar contracts to help people claim the whole thing on their taxes. They can claim it but they won't be on the hook if the IRS comes after you (probably a low probability...but still).

1. Solar roof: 6.7KW, $30,420. They mentioned that they will comp any small repairs needed to be done. They estimate ballpark figure of a few hundred bucks for fascia board replacement.
I'm thinking about putting in an order for the Solar Roof and I need a lot of fascia board replaced. Did Tesla mention how they handle would handle that? If it ended up more than they are willing to comp, would they replace all the fascia boards I wanted replaced and just bill me for it?

I'm thinking about putting in an order for the Solar Roof and I need a lot of fascia board replaced. Did Tesla mention how they handle would handle that? If it ended up more than they are willing to comp, would they replace all the fascia boards I wanted replaced and just bill me for it?
My guess is yes. We also had some fascia replaced during our Solar Roof install (included in cost.) If you have not put in the order yet, there might also be a couple of times to ensure this is addressed. First, it seems like many projects will have a site visit, and you can potentially point out what you want replaced then. You might find the replacement called out in the contract. And, if there is a specific concern, you could ask about specifying it in the contract (like "replace 100 linear feet of fascia".)

Also, I think it was mentioned in other threads, but it is possible to get the site lead to walk through the site with you just before work starts. That might be another opportunity to ensure there are no misunderstandings around your expectations.