Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must be on a g98 then. They dont require the letter, just an Email confirming. G98 is notify only so even a copy of the application should do to get the ball rolling (enquire with your installer, they should know) Your MCS certificate number should hopefully be on the database already and octopus will find it when you put it cert number in... get the ball rolling 👍
It was a G99 application because I went for a 5kW inverter. Octopus do recognise the MCS cert number but I can’t submit the form on their website without uploading the DNO letter. So I’ve just got to wait for the DNO to respond to the installer.

The installer has said… “We have notified the DNO of your installation, however it is taking them around 6-8 weeks to update their records and send the notification response back to us. As soon as we have this, we will send it across to you.”

It was a G99 application because I went for a 5kW inverter. Octopus do recognise the MCS cert number but I can’t submit the form on their website without uploading the DNO notification letter. So I’ve just got to wait for the DNO to respond to the installer.
In that case do get back to your installer as he will have the email you need since he would/should not have started the job without clearance from the DNO 👍

• Informative
Reactions: ringi and ACarneiro
Mine won't cut near the edge either, but there are brands that will (the blade is set to one side, and it drives along the edge of the wire - seems obvious to me, but most have the blade in the middle and wheels on the 4 corners, so 6" - 12" is as near as it can get and hand-mower / strimmer needed for the perimeter - or install smart edging-bricks as you have done). Mine has a host of other dislikes ... for example, in addition to the perimeter wire it has "Guide Wires" to assist the mower to find its way home (which it does like a drunken sailor, at snail speed). If a wire breaks you would think that it would use the guide wires (mine has 3, each to a far flung corner of the lawn) to tell you which segment the fault is in, but no. Just a BLUE "Duff perimeter wire" light. If one of the guide wires breaks that's not considered notifiable, it just uses whatever is left ... so you never know that a guidewire isn't working - until the mower starts to find it very hard to find "Home". Numerous error messages are only available on the device, and numerous others only on the phone. Settings available at the device are not identical to those on the phone, and so on. If battery goes flat and it forgets everything (actually the settings are stored) then once power is restored the Date and Time has to be set manually - at the device - notwithstanding that its connected to the mother-ship and could easily ask the time.
Crikey, I now feel bad complaining about my wife's efforts when mowing the lawn :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
In that case do get back to your installer as he will have the email you need since he would/should not have started the job without clearance from the DNO 👍
Hmm, are there 2 steps to the DNO process?

They already applied to the DNO at the beginning, my understanding was that was the G99 application. That took a couple weeks for the DNO to approve. Now there appears to be a second step where the installer notifies the DNO that the installation is complete and the DNO responds to this with a letter. I believe this is this letter Octopus require.

The timeline so far has been…

9th Oct - G99 application submitted by installer

26th Oct - Installer informs me DNO application has come back with a full green light

Today - (This was a slightly different reply I had) Installer says “The DNO have been notified of your installation however it is taking them around 4-6weeks at the moment to process these notifications and send the response letter back to us which you will need to set up the smart export guarantee with your electricity provider. As soon as we have this, we will send it across to you.”

Will ofgem make the DNO compensate you for lost income due to their delays?
I’m not sure it’s worth pursuing for the few quid it will amount to over the next few winter weeks. If it had been in the height of summer it could be a more significant sum.

Maybe I’ll get lucky again. I was told up to 3 months for the initial DNO application and that came back in just over 2 weeks.

I’ve got my MCS cert and schematic now. I tried to apply for Octopus Outgoing fixed but that won’t let me submit unless I have the DNO notification letter which has not come back yet.

Do I just need to wait for that or is there another route to getting an export MPAN in the meantime?

Mine took 4 weeks for the DNO to supply the export MPAN and Octopus to do their stuff. If that helps (which I know it won’t!).

Just got to wait….

Reactions: notmeguv
After I applied for an export MPAN via Octopus, the application was made to the DNO but they did nothing with it. After around 8 weeks I called the DNO and they sorted it out immediately. They were quite helpful once I got through to the right person. So I'd recommend getting on the phone to your DNO now.

Reactions: thax1 and notmeguv
I’m a bit a data nerd and want to keep track of how much I’ve saved from solar and battery use. Does anyone use any clever apps or spreadsheets to track your savings?
Right from day 1 of my solar and battery installation in November 2018. I use Excel and have always kept a spreadsheet for energy usage - just expanded the spreadsheet once i had solar and have inputted the meter readings every month on the 23rd for the last 15 years.

Specifically for the solar I have columns that identify my average KWhr consumption daily, 4 bed detached and thats 18Kwhrs - this is multiplied in another column to generate the monthly estimated consumption by the number of days between readings - so I have the base of what my electricity would cost if I paid for all of it - of course the daily charge is also calculated for the number of days and VAT is added.
I then have columns for the generation meter reading each month, the actual meter reading of the electricity meter and from that i can calculate - another formula, what the savings were from solar and the home batteries. A column for the total cost of the solar/batteries and the savings from it deducted to give me the return of investment figures, plus how many KWs i put into the car, plus as i get the fit tariffs for generation and export (deemed 50%) It works out what the true cost of electricity has been annually, and what the bill would have been each month with FIT payments deducted - and everything is so easy to see at a glance - though the spreadsheet has developed into a right monster over the years.

Its got so complex that when i decide to edit it I have to have a good think to ensure i dont wreck a calculation or bugger up a formula.
I even have my gas consumption listed so each month I have to correct the calorific value figure to keep things perfect, My spreadsheet bills are within a penny of those i get from Octopus, also have column for my account credit, the amount i pay each month and a comments cell to annotate when tariffs/daily charges change or mid month changes.

I've used excel for absolute donkeys years, don't consider myself an expert and perhaps some of my formula could be better written - especially where multiple formula within the one cell is deployed, I have lots of hidden columns and also created an index list - so when amending I can look up which hidden column i need to access without having to reveal all, but everything works perfectly.

I've used excel for absolute donkeys years, don't consider myself an expert and perhaps some of my formula could be better written - especially where multiple formula within the one cell is deployed, I have lots of hidden columns and also created an index list - so when amending I can look up which hidden column i need to access without having to reveal all, but everything works perfectly.

Time to upgrade your skills to Database Programmer. Its a better solution (if you fancy it) than Excel Formulae, because the data is the data, and you can apply "program stuff" to it. Modify the program-stuff until it works correctly. If you find a bug then modify it some more (but your data is still separate, and you still have your Version One program-stuff until such time as you are happy with Version Two and then bin V1.

And you can also QUERY the data - "how many days did we generate more than X kWh, and on those days what proportion was AM / PM" ... and so on.

You can do all that with data in XLS but its a) blinking hard and b) very error prone.

Excel : Lean on keyboard and you've changed the data in a cell, and you'll never know it.

Database: Yeah, you can bulk change the data wrongly too, but you will have backups and, if you want, an Audit of all previous values for that record - so you can use that to find out What / Why / When it broke.

perhaps some of my formula could be better written

Reminds me of a client of mine, donkeys years, ago.

"Can you look at my spreadsheet?"
"Sure"
"When I press CALCULATE ..." (this was back in the days when you had to do that, before "real time") "... I get this 'Circular Formula' message"

His spreadsheet was EVERYTHING in his company. All the individual sales, all the wages, all the timesheets. He was proud of how proud his bank was of his forecasts

I explain what a "Circular Formula" is ... and then:

"Try this: Scroll down to the Bottom Line. See the PROFIT figure at the bottom?"
"Yes"
"Press CALCAULTE"
"Oh, the PROFIT has changed"
"Yup, ok press CALCULATE again"
"Hmmm ... the PROFIT has changed again"
"Yup"

6 months later I was in his office, he went for a pee, his spreadhseet was open. I scrolled to PROFIT and pressed CALCULATE ... Yup, I got a new figure.

Too hard to fix.

Right from day 1 of my solar and battery installation in November 2018. I use Excel and have always kept a spreadsheet for energy usage - just expanded the spreadsheet once i had solar and have inputted the meter readings every month on the 23rd for the last 15 years.

Specifically for the solar I have columns that identify my average KWhr consumption daily, 4 bed detached and thats 18Kwhrs - this is multiplied in another column to generate the monthly estimated consumption by the number of days between readings - so I have the base of what my electricity would cost if I paid for all of it - of course the daily charge is also calculated for the number of days and VAT is added.
I then have columns for the generation meter reading each month, the actual meter reading of the electricity meter and from that i can calculate - another formula, what the savings were from solar and the home batteries. A column for the total cost of the solar/batteries and the savings from it deducted to give me the return of investment figures, plus how many KWs i put into the car, plus as i get the fit tariffs for generation and export (deemed 50%) It works out what the true cost of electricity has been annually, and what the bill would have been each month with FIT payments deducted - and everything is so easy to see at a glance - though the spreadsheet has developed into a right monster over the years.

Its got so complex that when i decide to edit it I have to have a good think to ensure i dont wreck a calculation or bugger up a formula.
I even have my gas consumption listed so each month I have to correct the calorific value figure to keep things perfect, My spreadsheet bills are within a penny of those i get from Octopus, also have column for my account credit, the amount i pay each month and a comments cell to annotate when tariffs/daily charges change or mid month changes.

Sounds great. I have developed a few complicated spreadsheets for my business and for my personal finances and am reasonably comfortable with Excel. Before I head down the rabbit hole of another homemade spreadsheet I thought I’d ask if there were any off the shelf methods first.

Time to upgrade your skills to Database Programmer. Its a better solution (if you fancy it) than Excel Formulae, because the data is the data, and you can apply "program stuff" to it. Modify the program-stuff until it works correctly. If you find a bug then modify it some more (but your data is still separate, and you still have your Version One program-stuff until such time as you are happy with Version Two and then bin V1.

And you can also QUERY the data - "how many days did we generate more than X kWh, and on those days what proportion was AM / PM" ... and so on.

You can do all that with data in XLS but its a) blinking hard and b) very error prone.

Excel : Lean on keyboard and you've changed the data in a cell, and you'll never know it.

Database: Yeah, you can bulk change the data wrongly too, but you will have backups and, if you want, an Audit of all previous values for that record - so you can use that to find out What / Why / When it broke.
What cheap and cheerful database software would you recommend for someone who is not a complete novice and has some experience of MySQL.

Reminds me of a client of mine, donkeys years, ago.

"Can you look at my spreadsheet?"
"Sure"
"When I press CALCULATE ..." (this was back in the days when you had to do that, before "real time") "... I get this 'Circular Formula' message"

His spreadsheet was EVERYTHING in his company. All the individual sales, all the wages, all the timesheets. He was proud of how proud his bank was of his forecasts

I explain what a "Circular Formula" is ... and then:

"Try this: Scroll down to the Bottom Line. See the PROFIT figure at the bottom?"
"Yes"
"Press CALCAULTE"
"Oh, the PROFIT has changed"
"Yup, ok press CALCULATE again"
"Hmmm ... the PROFIT has changed again"
"Yup"

6 months later I was in his office, he went for a pee, his spreadhseet was open. I scrolled to PROFIT and pressed CALCULATE ... Yup, I got a new figure.

Too hard to fix.
As they say, there's an xkcd for every occasion:

(I'm a database programmer and use spreadsheets for some quick and dirty things, and for some things I _know_ I should have converted to something better by now.)

Spreadsheets can be used as data sources, so you can _also_ query from a worksheet into another worksheet.

What cheap and cheerful database software would you recommend?

Of late I've only used Microsoft SQL. That's expensive, but Microsoft has a freebie personal "Express SQL"

I’m not a complete novice and do have some experience of MySQL.

Almost certainly best that you stick with that then. its a solid product.

PostgreSQL has a good reputation - its free and open source (but I don't know whether that means that you can use it for absolutely free

I reckon one of those three will be your front runner. Have a look at the front end tools that you would use. Microsoft's SSMS is very comprehensive - given their pedigree for Program Languages / Tools, and maybe that makes it more worthwhile than the others (but MS is the only one I know)

Assuming you can get your data electronically I'd suggest start pulling that data regularly (scheduled) as a CSV/similar, even if you can't do anything with it for a bit, that would then give you some back historical data once your database is built. Maybe SmartMeter will let your download retrospectively?. Plus you have your own (much more granular) data from XLS. So get the data acquisition going, whilst you build the Database :)

I download data from my PowerWall which gives me Solar PV and House kWh consumption, as well as Charge / Discharge of the PowerWall (10 or 15 minute granularity from memory). SmartMeter probably makes similar available as a download.

(I'm a database programmer and use spreadsheets for some quick and dirty things, and for some things I _know_ I should have converted to something better by now.)

Yup, me too, except I don't think I've got anything in XLS that would be better in Database.

Spreadsheets can be used as data sources, so you can _also_ query from a worksheet into another worksheet.

Indeed, but for me that's "I've got a hammer, now all my problems are nails" :)