Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Powerwall just fitted (stuck at 100% and not discharging to power the house) UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Just looking or a little help

Had a powerwall 2 installed yesterday. Don’t have Solar yet just using the Powerwall to load shift on Inteligent Octopus

Problem we are having is that the unit was installed yesterday. It charged to 100% straight after being installed. I set the off peak hours in the app but it ignored those and charge to full at peak prices

It then went into standby mode and has not done any discharge all all we are still pulling all power from the grid

There is no way on the app to select time based we only see self powered

The installer says leave it a few days and it will sort itself out but I can’t understand why it’s not discharging at all just sat on standby so totally useless at the moment

Any advice appreciated

In the App, under Settings, then Powerwall...

Is the Backup Reserve set at 0% ... or 100% ... on the slider bar

Screenshot_20231217_183921_Tesla.jpg

Don't know then... might just need some time to sort itself out like the installer suggested.

My recommendation (once you've got it working)... is to charge it up to 100% ... then go off-grid and run it down to 2% while completely self powered.

This will test the battery cells completely.

I did this on my second powerwall and it failed the test. Was then replaced by Tesla under Warranty.

If I hadn't of done it, I may not have found out until an actual Blackout... right when you don't want a failure.

Don't know then... might just need some time to sort itself out like the installer suggested.

My recommendation (once you've got it working)... is to charge it up to 100% ... then go off-grid and run it down to 2% while completely self powered.

This will test the battery cells completely.

I did this on my second powerwall and it failed the test. Was then replaced by Tesla under Warranty.

If I hadn't of done it, I may not have found out until an actual Blackout... right when you don't want a failure.

Yeah I am manually running it down now I dropped it into off grid mode as it is the only way to get the thing to start discharging

Seems to be powering everything well in that mode but just a pain we have to go off grid to get it to do any sort of discharge

Reactions: PITA
Possibly because you don’t have solar. As long as it can see the house load and the utility plan is set properly it should work. You can set the utility plan in both the car and Powerwall sections of the app but they seem to be separate.
Failing that you may need to get in touch with your installer

IMG_6337.png
Possibly because you don’t have solar. As long as it can see the house load and the utility plan is set properly it should work. You can set the utility plan in both the car and Powerwall sections of the app but they seem to be separate.
Failing that you may need to get in touch with your installer
Don’t have a car so that’s a non starter.

It’s set correct in the utility plan page

I believe it can take 48 hours or so for the additional settings options to become available following the installation. It has been a few years but my recollection is we experienced the same as you and the installers (in our case it was Tesla themselves who did the installation) advised us of this.

I believe it can take 48 hours or so for the additional settings options to become available following the installation. It has been a few years but my recollection is we experienced the same as you and the installers (in our case it was Tesla themselves who did the installation) advised us of this.

Thanks, yes we were told it may take 38 hours to be able to switch to Time Operation

But they also said during that first period it would be in self consumption mode so would discharge to run the house as needed, ours just charged to 100% and went to standby and does not discharge at any time.. only time it discharges is on a grid outage (Which as the settings page shows indicates its in backup only mode for some reason)

Well installer popped back

response was, its Tesla it does what it wants, it wont discharge if it does not want to, cant force it. May take several weeks to learn and sort itself out. (Real kick the can down the road response).

When asked why it was stuggling to reconnect to the grid when switching back from Off Grid Mode (As thats the only way we can discharge the battery), we were told not supposed to do that its for emergency only and as its nota feature there will be issues using it).. Which does not ring true

Bit miffled now as they want to leave it for 3 to 4 more days (Into Christmas) and we are stuck running on peak rate only power as they want us to leave it alone to learn! and not use the off grid mode discharge (Why put a manual off grid mode if you cant use it)

I used to think the AI part of it was great and to be fair for the past 6 months (since install) it was good but for the past week it is refusing to charge to 100% with a prediction of what I will be left with at the end of the day which is very low... It doesn't realise that today Ill do a deep dive with the dyson to include cars and house, get the pressure washer out and might actually use the oven.

I would rather it just charged to 100 and charge less the next day from the leftover.

I was doing it again I would consider the givenergy AIO since you have a bit more control in this aspect and is a similar setup of hardware.

I can understand, how frustrating this must be for you :(

Reactions: Stageshoot
Well installer popped back

response was, its Tesla it does what it wants, it wont discharge if it does not want to, cant force it. May take several weeks to learn and sort itself out. (Real kick the can down the road response).

When asked why it was stuggling to reconnect to the grid when switching back from Off Grid Mode (As thats the only way we can discharge the battery), we were told not supposed to do that its for emergency only and as its nota feature there will be issues using it).. Which does not ring true

Bit miffled now as they want to leave it for 3 to 4 more days (Into Christmas) and we are stuck running on peak rate only power as they want us to leave it alone to learn! and not use the off grid mode discharge (Why put a manual off grid mode if you cant use it)
Have you tried contacting Tesla directly?

[email protected]

I have found they reply relatively promptly and are helpful.

Reactions: Stageshoot