Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Powerwall just fitted (stuck at 100% and not discharging to power the house) UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update.

Contacted Tesla who advised it had been installed and setup in backup only mode so they reconfigured it online, all now sorted and working as expected.

Thanks for all the comments..
Good news and happy to hear Tesla support was helpful as has been my experience in the past.

I wouldn't ask you to name and shame but it does sound like your installer really did not live up to the standards I would expect. We were lucky in that our initial PW and Gateway were early in the UK release of them and Tesla arranged to have their own people install it and they were truly exemplary. Early this summer when we added a second PW we used one of the Tesla-approved installers who were also excellent.

Good news and happy to hear Tesla support was helpful as has been my experience in the past.

I wouldn't ask you to name and shame but it does sound like your installer really did not live up to the standards I would expect. We were lucky in that our initial PW and Gateway were early in the UK release of them and Tesla arranged to have their own people install it and they were truly exemplary. Early this summer when we added a second PW we used one of the Tesla-approved installers who were also excellent.

Yeah maybe its karma, I cancelled my original install to go with one which was £1000 cheaper!!!

I just have now its working ok (And filed my £350 rebate request with Tesla at the same time) ;-)
The other good things about contacting Tesla support are:

1 My understanding is they can remotely see and check quite a range of installation settings and functionality so in addition to altering your configuration they likely checked they are otherwise happy with the install.
2 They have been made aware of a possible shortcoming in one of their recommended installers so, at a minimum, I would hope they call them out on it.

I'm having exactly the same thing - it looks like the installer set it up in Backup mode, as I have only the Backup Reserve screen and no options to change operating mode. I'll try giving Tesla a call.
By the way @Stageshoot ... are you the same one I know from my Kona days? ;)

Hi

Yes that would be me

If you get the Installer to Add Solar (Even if you dont have it) that will overcome the backup only bug straight away.

Our installer swore blind it would sort itself, and it didnt when they came back to install for our neighbour they admitted they had the same porblem on a few and Tesla had told them to add solar even if it as not installed and all worked well for them from then.

How are you doing, we are still in our MG4. not sure what to get next how about you.

And a 2 minute call to Tesla's Powerwall helpdesk (01628 450630 in the UK) was all it took for the Tesla support guy to confirm it had been set up in Backup mode. He switched it immediately and now it's running the house! Awesome, well done Tesla Customer Service. I shall let the installer know...
Since getting the powerwall last Dec, we have now added a small 4Kw Solar Arrary and swapped out the Gas for ASHP and Electric Hot Water

Never been happier, all working smoothly and well integrated

Selling about 20Kwh a day to the Grid at 15p Kwh and topping the battery up overnight at 7.5p Kwh

IMG_9755.PNG

Thought it must be you! All good here thanks, still on the 2020 LRDM Polestar 2 and Zoe combination. We did look around recently to see if anything tickled our fancy to move away from the Polestar 2... but nothing really stands out (probably not the forum to say that 😉 ) and the worst of the depreciation is now over, so we'll stay put. The Tesla Model 2 might have been a swap for the Zoe in a couple of years' time, but that sadly seems to have vaporised... How many miles did you end up with on the last couple of cars then? I remember you were averaging around 50k/yr! How are you finding the MG4?

Back on topic - we switched to an ASHP for heating and hot water two years ago (bye bye, oil combi) so we've not burned stuff for a few years now. We'd love to pair solar with our Powerwall but with dormer windows in the roof of our house, we have no south-facing roofs that can take a panel. Gutting as we have a very sunny south-facing main roof that would easily take about 8-9 panels without the windows! Just need solar roof tiles to actually get sorted...

Oh and one 30 second call to Tesla Powerwall support services and they immediately reconfigured it to be in the right mode. As you said, it was because in the initial set-up it was configured without solar. Definitely a bug in the set-up app then! It's effortlessly powered the whole house since 9am, aside from maxing out at 5kW during cooking when the grid had to help a little for a few minutes. Fantastic tech. Still at 32% at 8:15pm so we won't even empty the battery today, despite the cool weather!

Thanks all on the thread for the very helpful pointers.

We'd love to pair solar with our Powerwall but with dormer windows in the roof of our house, we have no south-facing roofs that can take a panel. Gutting as we have a very sunny south-facing main roof that would easily take about 8-9 panels without the windows!

Don’t be hung up about south facing. That may best for peak power, but east/west may potentially give peak energy. And this time of year, even north facing becomes an option.

• Informative
Reactions: phil4