Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Powerwall just fitted (stuck at 100% and not discharging to power the house) UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My array is East/West facing and it works just fine.
Slightly flatter but wider curve so in the end it may it be THAT much less than a purely south facing system.
I think I'd prefer a longer daily period of covering the home usage than a shorter but more powerful blast of production. With batteries it probably makes it somewhat of a wash but I get an odd pleasure seeing our home use fully supplied by our own production.

I think I'd prefer a longer daily period of covering the home usage than a shorter but more powerful blast of production. With batteries it probably makes it somewhat of a wash but I get an odd pleasure seeing our home use fully supplied by our own production.
We're E/W, even split with 10.1 kwp. It theoretically gives 80% ish of a south facing array of the same size. We generated 8.2 mwh last year and already doing over 30 kwh even on average days so far in April. We have good battery storage and pretty much break even on power costs over the year, including car charging, standing charges and gas (which we still use for water heating). So E/W works very well for us.

Still debating whether to switch from IOG to Flux as we did last year. However the incremental gains are smaller this year as the Flux night rate has been increased quite a lot and the 4-7pm export rate decreased a fair bit. We might lose out on a £100 or so of export but I think I'll take that rather than keep force exporting the batteries on a daily basis. More sums to do.

Reactions: KennethS
Thanks everyone, that's really set me thinking now then... I shall have a look and see what the situation is, because our East-facing roof might be partially sheltered by the neighbour's trees, and the West-facing roof also has dormer windows in, thinking about it! It's just the worst possible shape for solar, basically.

By the way, last night the Powerwall completely discharged itself and stayed at 0% all day. Another phone call to Tesla, and it turns out that you have to set the "sell" price for each rate to be as low as possible. Stupidly, the app copies the "buy" price into the "sell" price field, but leaving it like this stops it charging!! What idiot thought that was a good idea... Anyway, hopefully it will charge overnight now.

Seems I can't edit posts, so I'm having to add this separately. For context, here is the aerial view of our house... everything shades everything else or has a dormer window in it. The only "clear" roof is the east-facing roof, which is indeed shaded by tall trees. Not sure this is going to be viable.

1713469104024.png