Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

solar roof price estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still working out my options after getting the runaround from a few other solar companies. Possibly leaning towards a solar roof now. on the website quote it says "Your price may increase up to $12,010 (including Federal Tax Credit) for roof complexity and replacement if you have an older home." Is that the most it can increase over the quote?

I have a metal shingle roof over skip sheathing, so they will have to lay down plywood. the layout is fairly basic and not steep.
It also sizes the system based on what you enter for utility bill. If I want a larger system, can I just enter a larger monthly bill in and will that be OK?

Thanks,
Eric

Also, yesterday i was playing around with some bill numbers and the "Solar Roof Base Price" was $19,500" (i took pictures)
Today, the Solar Roof Base Price jumped up to $31,100! (on the same configurations)

What's up with that??

Solar Roof price increases have been happening.

There has been a lawsuit about price increase after signing off the pricings and Tesla settled it out of court.

It's unknown when Tesla will stop increase the price for those who are not in the lawsuit.

I've read here that Tesla won't work on metal roofs, but that could only be for panels.

My installer says he's booked everyday till the end of the year+ and everything I've read shows installers have an endless amount of work so IMO, with NEM 3.0 on the horizon, customers need the installers more than any installer caring about your/any individual project.

If I was starting now and with scary PTO times on that other thread, I'd run to get anything scheduled and done ASAP since there can only be delays/problems/parts shortages/weather issues now with getting something done.

I think we can all agree that NEM3.0 will be worst than NEM2.0.

Tesla charged me $96 per plywood. It was the most opaque pricing. They didn’t give me any details what they charged for “pre construction repair”. My roof was pretty fine and the tear-down contractor told me that. But they still claimed 6 plywood were used at $96 each!

I am not sure why the price went up so much - it is possible they have been updating their pricing recently, but also double-check on the settings for powerwalls and for show/hide incentives. In any case, it is definitely an estimate, so you really will need to put down a deposit to get a better answer, unlike with panels. Even the upper bound for an increase is not a guarantee, though it probably covers the vast majority of cases. With a simple roof, hopefully the increase will not be so high, depending on the cost of the plywood.

To answer your other question, yes, you can change your electric bill however you want to get the size you want, and you can also modify the roof size, if it is inaccurate. Obviously, Tesla won't install it if it is not possible, but you can at least see what the cost would be..

As far as the comment on metal roofs, I do not think that will be an issue for the solar roof, as they are just tearing it off.

Also, yesterday i was playing around with some bill numbers and the "Solar Roof Base Price" was $19,500" (i took pictures)
Today, the Solar Roof Base Price jumped up to $31,100! (on the same configurations)

What's up with that??
Maybe they got more data on homes in your area. If you have skip sheeting they are going to have rip all of that out and replace it with solid wood decking. That can be expensive.

Also, $19,500 sounds incredibly cheap. Even $31,000 sounds low unless you have a small roof.